CVT lurch - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CVT lurch

Hi all,

I have 3.6R '19 Outback. I have read multiple threads about the CVT lurch/surge. I had a '10 2.5i Legacy and now this car and Subaru has improved alot on the CVT. HOwever, the CVT to me has always felt "lazy". On open road, the CVT is fantastic for speeding and cruising. However, in city driving, it does get annoying especially after a long day of work and 1h+ of commute one way plus big city traffic...

If there is a solid 10sec+ stop, I can feather the car to move up without surging or if I can anticipate a stop. However, with stop and go traffic (not bumper to bumper but
more so speed up to 20mph+ then stop then speed up then stop, the transmission doesnt react very fast. It feels "lazy" or not trying to find the right ratio to accelerate. This results in some shuddering also (maybe combined with TC lock up). By then, I have to hit the stop and the TC does its thing and the car lurches. I'm trying to remedy this issue but not sure how I should go about doing so. The current solution I have is to let the car roll, think, then I feather the accelerator paddle and stop early. This means I have to leave quite a bit of room in traffic (1-2 car or so?) to have the car runs comfortably. This is OK in free way mostly but quite a mess in cities. The lurch/surge happens quite often in this scenario too regardless of how I depress the pedal.

I did a computer relearn per this thread: [not allowed to attached] and the result was great...for 2 weeks then it returns. After the reset, the car drive like a dream, barely any surge, accelerates and decelerate linearly. It take about 10 minutes for the process but I don't think it's something I want to constantly do.

I had a 18 Forester XT and the issue is even worse.

Few Outback members (gen5 and 4) have XRT tunes and gave very great feedback on XRT website. I'd love to do it but it's quite costly for me currently with parts and labor.

Any feedback, response is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 PM

My 18 3.6r had poor take off characteristics, but at about 4-5k miles it seemed to smooth out. Have 8900 now and it takes off smooth and stops smooth. Cold weather cold engine take offs are still kinda clunky, but totally fine once warmed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercow2610 View Post
Hi all,

I have 3.6R '19 Outback. I have read multiple threads about the CVT lurch/surge. I had a '10 2.5i Legacy and now this car and Subaru has improved alot on the CVT. HOwever, the CVT to me has always felt "lazy". On open road, the CVT is fantastic for speeding and cruising. However, in city driving, it does get annoying especially after a long day of work and 1h+ of commute one way plus big city traffic...

If there is a solid 10sec+ stop, I can feather the car to move up without surging or if I can anticipate a stop. However, with stop and go traffic (not bumper to bumper but
more so speed up to 20mph+ then stop then speed up then stop, the transmission doesnt react very fast. It feels "lazy" or not trying to find the right ratio to accelerate. This results in some shuddering also (maybe combined with TC lock up). By then, I have to hit the stop and the TC does its thing and the car lurches. I'm trying to remedy this issue but not sure how I should go about doing so. The current solution I have is to let the car roll, think, then I feather the accelerator paddle and stop early. This means I have to leave quite a bit of room in traffic (1-2 car or so?) to have the car runs comfortably. This is OK in free way mostly but quite a mess in cities. The lurch/surge happens quite often in this scenario too regardless of how I depress the pedal.

I did a computer relearn per this thread: [not allowed to attached] and the result was great...for 2 weeks then it returns. After the reset, the car drive like a dream, barely any surge, accelerates and decelerate linearly. It take about 10 minutes for the process but I don't think it's something I want to constantly do.

Few Outback members (gen5 and 4) have XRT tunes and gave very great feedback on XRT website. I'd love to do it but it's quite costly for me currently with parts and labor.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 AM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
I think one of the things that I have figured out is the CVT doesn't roll as well as a non-cvt. In other words, as soon as you take you foot off the gas, even in the slightest manner, the CVT feel like a big hand is slowing you down. So in traffic, where you are giving small amounts of on and off gas, you get a kind of surge / stop effect. A non-cvt trans is going to roll a bit when you are slightly feeding less gas. It is that rubber band effect that people talk about and I am still not accustomed to it and still do not like it. I just can't find an interior on a non-cvt car that is as nice as my Limited and for the same price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercow2610 View Post
Hi all,

2015 Outback limited
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Lock up aside (that's a common quibble), I find this complaint very odd. I'd consider myself an expert in congested urban driving. I've endured tens of thousands of miles in all sorts of city traffic, both in a 2006 Impreza 2.5 and in my 2015 Outback 3.6R, and can't say there's much difference in feel between the two. You've got to be good at semi-tailgating the guy in front of you unless you like being cut off constantly, and I have absolutely no problem following closely. Compared to my prior (non-AWD) vehicles, there is definitely more engine/transmission braking from the Subarus when coasting, but the CVT is no worse than my old 4EAT. It's just the way it is - you get used to it. A computer reset on my Outback definitely numbs throttle response, which largely resolves itself after a short drive, but the CVT has never seemed much different in those instances.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: