Consumer Reports Rates Subaru Most Reliable - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
...and you could probably find someone who thinks their 1987 Yugo is the best car ever made.
I'm pretty certain that someone wouldn't be Leslie Pluhar.

Doug Just Doug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
you could probably find someone who thinks their 1987 Yugo is the best car ever made.
I just watched an interesting car special hosted by James May where he argued basically that.

Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Car: 2019 Ascent Touring
They must not rate their infotainment system.
post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:33 PM

Car: 2017 OB Limited 3.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip00 View Post
Wonder what kind of stats CR uses to produce their numbers. Of course personal experience has severely limited sample size, but placing Honda behind Hyundai & Kia for reliability seems ludicrous based on what I've seen from the vehicles of my family and family.

If you're a CR subscriber you're sent an on-line survey annually asking questions about major purchases in different categories, autos being one. Not sure what the response rate is but I would think it would be rather large though only made up of CR subscribers.
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
I have a different view of "reliability". Unreliable means the car is hauled off by a tow truck and I'm stranded or the Check Engine light goes off and I have to limp to the dealer with a major and expensive failure. I've knocked the battery dead a few times through user error leaving a light on for a day or two where I had to jump the car but it's otherwise "push the start button and go". The car had some recalls where the dealer did the recall during a routine oil change. I had the sticky fuel door problem but I could open the fuel door with a credit card. My car has 60,000 miles on it. I have no reason to believe it won't go 150,000 with nothing major beyond tires & brakes.
jdupton and outback2016 like this.
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 AM

I have a different different view of reliability. While failure to start or complete a trip is a problem, I also look at the number of days in the shop where the car is unavailable for use and the number of inconvenient trips to the shop. Of the three brand new cars I’ve purchased in this decade (2014 Ford Focus ST, 2016 OB Limited, 2018 Chrysler Pacifica) the OB is currently the most troublesome / inconvenient by a significant margin. The OB required three separate repairs in the first year with a total of 23ish days in the shop. It has been OK since. The Ford is gone, but in 3.5 years/40k miles it required no repairs and never failed to start, run etc. The Chrysler is only 9months/13k miles old but has so far required 1 software flash for a recall with 1 hour in the shop. It’s far ahead of the OB at this point in its life, though there is certainly the opportunity for that to change. None of the cars have ever failed to start or complete a trip.
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:41 AM

2015 OUTBACK 48K MILES no issues rock solid we drove for 3 years and rolled over to our daughter, she did her driving test in it and drives to junior college
sooooo good
we ordered (got the VIN number) forester touring white/brown for my wife and will roll over to my 15 yr old daughter this summer when she gets her learning permit.

i'm 6 ft my girls are 4'11 and 5'1 and fits all of us perfect (thank God for memory seats) and great visability especially the forester
safety reliability visibility

AS FAR AS THE CR--its relative, if you want issues with head units and engines visit the honda cry forums--crv (still view since it was in competition with buying the outback) the head unit freezes and the 1.5 turbo in the upper big $$$ models is a dog (recall in china not in us) GET THIS THE OIL LEVEL INCREASES...THATS RIGHT THEY LEAK GAS TO OIL AND THE OIL LEVEL INCREASES honda won't do a recall

i told my brother who is a big honda guy don't get the 1.5T also honda has dropped the ball on the odyssey 1.5 t and not sure which transmission 9 or 10 speed

seems toyota and subaru now the most reliable relative to others

i used to recommend honda not anymore subaru, toyota

my 2011 odyssey must be lucky has 92k miles trouble free
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:20 AM

Car: 2018 Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by columnshift View Post
my 2011 odyssey must be lucky has 92k miles trouble free

If you look at the rate of problems even among the "unreliable" brands, it's more bad-luck that you have a problem at all. I have a large biz fleet of GM & Ford among others and even the abused vehicles have relatively few problems. Comparatively speaking to my personal cars over the last few years, this OB has been the only one to go to the dealer for a repair during warranty.
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 AM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
Garage
In defense of Honda, a lot of the things CR "dinged" on the Odyssey are personal preference items, not defects. Who cares where the shifter is. You may not prefer the style or location, but it is not a defect.

There is no defense of the CRV engine problems, BUT Motor Trend just named the Honda CRV as the best small SUV. It beat out the Forester because the Forester had a lackluster suspension and an anemic engine.

Subaru is a solid company on the rise - time will tell whether it stays on top. They have a new models coming out, but will they be reliable 5 years down the road? History says they will, but who knows about the turbo engines or the CVT transmissions.
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Car: 2018 OB Limited 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkland View Post
In defense of Honda, a lot of the things CR "dinged" on the Odyssey are personal preference items, not defects. Who cares where the shifter is. You may not prefer the style or location, but it is not a defect.

There is no defense of the CRV engine problems, BUT Motor Trend just named the Honda CRV as the best small SUV. It beat out the Forester because the Forester had a lackluster suspension and an anemic engine.

Subaru is a solid company on the rise - time will tell whether it stays on top. They have a new models coming out, but will they be reliable 5 years down the road? History says they will, but who knows about the turbo engines or the CVT transmissions.
The big test is definitely the CVT. Their constant pitch is that a high percentage of their cars are still on the road after 10 years. The day they stop using that marketing pitch is when you know the switch to CVT is at fault. Inability to repair and a high cost of replacement will ground many vehicles before their time.

In 10 years I would have somewhere between 250K-300K on my Outback. With a traditional automatic transmission I'd expect to have serviced it at least once, probably even a rebuild during that lifetime and the cost to do so is reasonable. If the rest of the car proves itself to be reliable I might even do that more than once in its lifetime and own it beyond 10 years.

Unless the CVT turns out to be incredibly reliable/high mileage (which is my hope) or they can drive the cost of replacement down significantly, I don't expect to see many Subaru vehicles on the road past 150K.

Sparkland likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: