AWD problems...? - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 2.5 Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Outcome:

Wife called saying she was stuck in friends relatively flat driveway that was lightly covered in snow. The first clue something wasn't right. Got there and noticed rear wheels weren't getting power. I took the car in and over a week later my '18 OB with 8k mi has an entire new transmission. New CVT, rear diff, and rear axles. Dealers paperwork stated over $11,000 in work.

The new trans is now making a high pitched whine that it didn't make before. Don't trust my OB's long-term reliability now.

Update:
Less than 24 hours after repair-
Heat shield came off my car at ~70mph. Scared the crap out of me and sounded like an explosion. Cartwheeled down the road and struck the car behind me. I immediately pulled over and the car it struck kept going. Went immediately back to the dealer. They were very nonchalant about it, "oh, sorry, we'll order another and have it on by Thursday." Also mentioned high pitch whine.

Update 4/15-
Subaru has offered a buy back or swap due to it reaching Vermont Lemon Law thresholds. The whining sound was an internal pump that failed on the NEW transmission. Dealer invoices were $11,007 for the first trans and $8756 for the second (CVT only).

My dealership experience was terrible. Don’t want to get on that rant though. However Subaru of America customer service was awesome. I’m not sure what I’ll replace it with; but, SOA did a good job and I may look the Ascent.

2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 AM

Car: '15 OB 2.5i, A/T G015's, grey Konig Runlite's, Rally Innovations Light Bar w/Hella Driving Lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirruspilot View Post
Outcome:

Wife called saying she was stuck in friends relatively flat driveway that was lightly covered in snow. The first clue something wasn't right. Got there and noticed rear wheels weren't getting power. I took the car in and over a week later my '18 OB with 8k mi has an entire new transmission. New CVT, rear diff, and rear axles. Dealers paperwork stated over $11,000 in work.

The new trans is now making a high pitched whine that it didn't make before. Don't trust my OB's long-term reliability now.

Update:
Less than 24 hours after repair-
Heat shield came off my car at ~70mph. Scared the crap out of me and sounded like an explosion. Cartwheeled down the road and struck the car behind me. I immediately pulled over and the car it struck kept going. Went immediately back to the dealer. They were very nonchalant about it, "oh, sorry, we'll order another and have it on by Thursday." Also mentioned high pitch whine.

Update 4/15-
Subaru has offered a buy back or swap due to it reaching Vermont Lemon Law thresholds. The whining sound was an internal pump that failed on the NEW transmission. Dealer invoices were $11,007 for the first trans and $8756 for the second (CVT only).

My dealership experience was terrible. Donít want to get on that rant though. However Subaru of America customer service was awesome. Iím not sure what Iíll replace it with; but, SOA did a good job and I may look the Ascent.
Get 3.6 with a real tranny before they're gone. These CVT's are garbage.

post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:08 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etcher View Post
Get 3.6 with a real tranny before they're gone. These CVT's are garbage.
3.6 Legacy/Outback transmission has been the TR-690 CVT since MY 2015. In the U.S. you can't buy a new Outback with anything other than a CVT.

Quote:
These CVT's are garbage.
I disagree.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
3.6 Legacy/Outback transmission has been the TR-690 CVT since MY 2015. In the U.S. you can't buy a new Outback with anything other than a CVT.

I'm kind of wavering about what I'll do when my 2015 3.6R crosses 100K miles in a couple of years. Part of me wants to run it to 200,000 miles. Part of me is concerned about CVT long term reliability. In 2015, the 3.6R was the only CVT-equipped car on the market with more than 250 hp. There isn't all that much long term reliability data yet.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited, 2013 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
The CVTs aren't garbage in any way. Do bad one's get out? Yep. But the % is so tiny compared to production that, while it can be a traumatic personal issue, it doesn't reflect reality. I know quite a few folks, including myself, with 150-300k on their Subaru CVTs. Not a single one has had transmission issues. So to say they are garbage is far from the truth.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etcher View Post
...These CVT's are garbage.
Says the guy who accidentally put gear oil in his CVT a couple years ago, IIRC. Sorry for the poke, but couldn't resist.
ammcinnis likes this.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
One of the big beefs with CVTs isn't that they necessarily fail more often than conventional trannies, it's that they're way more expensive to fix when they do fail.

If you've got a car with 100,000+ miles and a conventional tranny in it dies, you put in a rebuilt tranny. If a CVT dies at 100,000+ miles, you probably buy a new car.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:39 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGo View Post
One of the big beefs with CVTs isn't that they necessarily fail more often than conventional trannies, it's that they're way more expensive to fix when they do fail.

If you've got a car with 100,000+ miles and a conventional tranny in it dies, you put in a rebuilt tranny. If a CVT dies at 100,000+ miles, you probably buy a new car.
By now there are plenty of good CVTs in salvage yards in perfect working order. I wouldn't have any concerns going with a used one, especially if my car already had 100,000+ miles on it.
ammcinnis likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
What he said.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
By now there are plenty of good CVTs in salvage yards in perfect working order. I wouldn't have any concerns going with a used one, especially if my car already had 100,000+ miles on it.
If a car is in a salvage yard was totaled due to a collision, the CVT is probably OK. But otherwise, how does a consumer (or even an auto repair technician) have any idea whether the CVT in a salvage yard is in good working condition? Most of the cars there didn't get driven there. Does a failed CVT look any different than a working CVT.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm genuinely curious how to know the condition of a CVT in a salvage yard. A co-worker of mine had the CVT die in his car (not a Subaru) with less than 80,000 miles on it. Neither the dealership nor a local independent repair shop could give him any repair alternative that was less expensive than the value of the car before the CVT had died.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: