Honda Tech vs Subaru Tech - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:58 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was pretty impressed with the tech in my '18 Outback. Some of the safety features aren't that useful IMO (LKA), but some are wonderful (BSD, RAB, RCT) - though they are highly weather and road marking dependent to be reliable. Voice commands and the nav system have been inferior to Toyotas we've owned in the past.

Not what folks here want to hear probably, but we bought a '19 Accord and it's at another, higher level technically and therefore is much more useful. The Honda (and Siri) recognizes voice commands most of the time, whereas the Subaru almost never does. The Honda-Garmin (and Apple Maps & Waze) find places more often than not, whereas the Subaru-TomTom doesn't seem to be able to find places that have been around for decades. The Honda phone works better. The Honda audio systems doesn't work any different, but the display looks nicer. The whole Honda system - phone, audio, nav and how it all integrates is just superior to Subarus implementation. Not surprising as Honda is a much bigger company than Subaru, and presumably has more/better resources to bring to bear on tech.

Both nice cars, and the Subaru has some advantages. But in terms of tech, Subaru is not in the same league as Honda or Toyota. YMMV
I'm in the same boat as I'm looking to trade my 18' Outback for a 19' Accord. Looking through the Honda Accord Gen 10 forums many are complaining about the infotainment system randomly rebooting itself. Have you experienced this? Also how's Honda's adaptive cruise control vs Subaru's Eyesight?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:11 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I used to do all my own wrenching when I was a poor teen and college student. Clutches. Brake jobs. Tune-ups. Exhaust systems. Lots of body work to repair road salt corrosion. On my Outback, I replace the engine air filter & cabin air filter and that's it.
I think a lot of us are in this boat today. I keep dreaming about maybe buying a restoration project car, and getting back into serious wrenching again as a hobby. But to keep my 'newish' cars running on a daily basis? Not happening much anymore. Most of it is a time issue. Some of it is the investment in diagnostic equipment required. And some of it is my age & physical condition.

I used to just pick up a wheel/tire and hook it to the wall up over my head. That's not so easy anymore.... Two years ago after an accident at work I went out and bought an electric hoist and installed it in the attic over the garage for getting 12 winter / summer assemblies up and down. The big air compressor hardly gets used, and the air tools sit in the cabinet. Haven't torn an engine down in 20+ years.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:19 PM

Before buying my Outback I looked at the C-RV and the tech was better from the test drive. My issues was the actual fit of the car, the Outback was better. Safety, build, feel of driving. That out weighted the few extra whistles and bells.

2019 3.6 Touring Wilderness Green
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Car: 19 Outback 3.6r Touring, 12 Forester X, 09 G8 GXP, 08 BMW 535xi
Is the Accord AWD?
No.
It all doesn’t matter...
I’m in the middle of Alaska and need a dependable/affordable commuter.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_One View Post
Like everything else in this world it is just your opinion. As I reviewed from your prior posts you definitely have them but very little facts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!
We own and drive both cars. I'd be happy to elaborate in detail, but I know some people have opinions that can't be changed. Have you driven a recent model Honda?

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!
wvpc likes this.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I'm in the same boat as I'm looking to trade my 18' Outback for a 19' Accord. Looking through the Honda Accord Gen 10 forums many are complaining about the infotainment system randomly rebooting itself. Have you experienced this? Also how's Honda's adaptive cruise control vs Subaru's Eyesight?
We've owned the Accord since Dec, and we haven't had any issues with the infotainment or nav system. The Accord Garmin based nav is FAR better than the Outback Tom-Tom system - no comparison.

The adaptive cruise control on the Outback and the Accord are functionally the same IME. The only downside we've seen is the Accord LKAS system is more 'forceful' than the Outback, I like the Outback better in that respect.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:31 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R 2" ADF lift kit 17X8 (45mm off-set) Advanti DST Storm wheels 245/65R17 BFG KO2 AT tires 20mm RSB Strut Tower Brace steering Dampener Lockdown
This is really apples and oranges but may apply - we just took the 2017 Crosstrek in for a recall for the rear break light switch - it was covered under the extended warranty but made the warning lights and starter button act funky. Got a new part to fix the issue but awaiting the new and improved part to be released and then installed. Then there were two recalls on the 2018 OB - no big deal and had them done with routine maintenance.

Now my wife has a 2013 Honda CR-V with just over 100K miles. I want her to get an OB but she won't budge from Honda . . . . and yep she brings up the recalls. Maybe I can talk her into a Pilot - I just hate the CR-V weak 4 banger. The only thing I've had to replace on that car is what they call the joy-stick knob on the nav system.

2018 Outback Lmited 3.6R
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majpooper View Post
This is really apples and oranges but may apply - we just took the 2017 Crosstrek in for a recall for the rear break light switch - it was covered under the extended warranty but made the warning lights and starter button act funky. Got a new part to fix the issue but awaiting the new and improved part to be released and then installed. Then there were two recalls on the 2018 OB - no big deal and had them done with routine maintenance.

Now my wife has a 2013 Honda CR-V with just over 100K miles. I want her to get an OB but she won't budge from Honda . . . . and yep she brings up the recalls. Maybe I can talk her into a Pilot - I just hate the CR-V weak 4 banger. The only thing I've had to replace on that car is what they call the joy-stick knob on the nav system.
Maybe have her take a look at the new Passport.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:07 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We've owned the Accord since Dec, and we haven't had any issues with the infotainment or nav system. The Accord Garmin based nav is FAR better than the Outback Tom-Tom system - no comparison.

The adaptive cruise control on the Outback and the Accord are functionally the same IME. The only downside we've seen is the Accord LKAS system is more 'forceful' than the Outback, I like the Outback better in that respect.
Before I bought the Outback, I tested the CR-V. At least on the 2018 models, the cruise control would not hold a speed downhill, instead gaining speed. Has that changed for 2019? If not, then the Honda and Subaru ACC certainly aren't the same.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
The CR-V is really more comparable to the Forester, and not really the Outback. We cross-shopped the Forester and CR-V for my kid a few years ago and ended up buying her the CR-V. It's not a perfect car, but it's roomy, nimble and the 'part time' AWD system seems to work when needed and get's her thru the snow. No real complaints.

I usually take it into Honda for it's service and really like the newest (Gen-5) CR-V. I've had 3 of them now, so need to go drive the new generation Forester. Motor Trend really loves the Gen-5 CR-V, and wasn't too happy with the new Forester. It might take Subaru a year or so to make it right based on consumer and reviewer comments.

I will say that the infotainment on the 2013 CR-V beats the **** out of my 2014 Outback.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: