Honda Tech vs Subaru Tech - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Before I bought the Outback, I tested the CR-V. At least on the 2018 models, the cruise control would not hold a speed downhill, instead gaining speed. Has that changed for 2019? If not, then the Honda and Subaru ACC certainly aren't the same.

Mine applies the electronic rear brakes going down steeper hills. My daily ski drive, I can't use the ACC headed back down the hill or I'd chew through rear brakes. It's posted 35 mph and there is a frequent state police speed trap so the posted speed limit is holy writ. I have to paddle shift down to "2" to hold speed. I've never understood why a car marketed to winter/skiers wouldn't use the CVT for engine braking instead of applying the brakes.

I have a 2015 with the top trim level of the time so I really can't comment about current head units and NAV. 2015 is pre-CarPlay so it's not a great iPhone integration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkjufell787 View Post
The Accord infotainment system is one of the best in the industry, 100% agree.

However my wife has a 2018 CRV and my father has a 2018 Pilot. They are different versions than the accord and are not as good, even though they are quite new models. I dont really mess with the voice recognition in my 2019 3.6R touring, but overall my experience with it vs the two hondas in my family is pretty comparable.

I've worked with the Honda CR-V infotainment systems in the 2018 when the wife & I were testing them for a possible purchase. Meh. Clumsy and difficult to use while driving. I have no idea as to how well the info system is on the Accords.

As far as a top infotainment system, the Ford Sync 3 is an excellent unit (compared to Ford's previous stillborn My Touch), and I'll put it up among the best in the industry. I've used the Sync 3 units in three different rental Ford Edges over several thousand miles - bulletproof, no problems, fast, very impressed with every function. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no interest in buying a Ford Edge.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why the new TomTom-based head units in the Outback have been so troublesome, particularly the 2018 models. I've used TomTom nav devices in the past and was fond of them, but there's a huge difference between a TomTom windshield-mounted nav unit & an entire infotainment system for a vehicle. I understand that the pre-2018 Outback head units were made by Garmin, and were pretty poor.

But - if I understand correctly, Garmin makes the infotainment units for Honda, and they are supposed to work well.... ???

Oh, well. Is there anyone here that has a 2019 Outback w/nav? Does it work well? I'm not interested in hooking up & running Apple Play or Waze.

post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 AM

Car: 2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
I bought my 2015 for eyesight. I dearly love the eyesight and crash avoidance. I only wish eyesight would work when driving into the rising or setting sun. I sacriced my lifted 3.6 R for added safety features and a 2.5. Regret that. But if I get another it will have eyesight and a 3.6 R plus lift and heavy duty sway bar.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:49 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes2 View Post
I'm a bit puzzled as to why the new TomTom-based head units in the Outback have been so troublesome ...
The 2018-2019 head units are sourced from Harman International (a.k.a. Harman Kardon), a subsidiary of Samsung. Tom Tom just supports the NAV functionality.

Quote:
I understand that the pre-2018 Outback head units were made by Garmin ...
No. The 2015-2017 head units were sourced from Fujitsu Ten (a.k.a. Denso Ten). Garmin was not involved, even with the NAV.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dug View Post
Maybe have her take a look at the new Passport.

Horrible build quality from just sitting in a few at the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: