New trans at 8k mi - - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Car: 2017 Subaru Legacy Sport
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Although it might not inspire confidence in your car, just be happy that it looks like your dealership is awesome and got everything replaced for you with relatively little hassle. Keep in mind you are still under warranty for quite some time, so worst case you are still covered. I think the most reasonable thing you could contact SOA about is that you are happy that everything got replaced but you wanted to document a new whining noise from the transmission they put in, in case the dealership does not want to continue to investigate the noise. Since you're under warranty, I'd give it some time to break in as the noise could very well lessen (or get worse). There is a possibility this noise is an indication it is working properly this time, as the old one that was more quite didn't seem to fair well. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do next!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 PM

Can you take out your phone and record the noise so you can show it to your dealer? Yes, the warranty paid 11k for a new transmission, but the new one seems like it has a problem as well. Get into the dealership ASAP to get the noise checked out. Best case scenario that fixes the problem and everyone is happy. Worst case scenario, each documented repair attempt will help you if you need to use your states lemon law. Good luck!

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 PM

Car: 2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
Start documenting a lemon law case and look for consumer Class action claims.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 AM

Car: '19 Outback Touring 3.6R currently at the Factory!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirruspilot View Post
the trans is now making a high pitched whine that it didn't make before.

Being in the Portland, OR area I think I have 8 dealerships within about 50 miles plus many independent Subaru repair shops.

You might not have that luxury but I'd take the car to a different dealership (or independent for an 'outside' opinion) and not mention the work that had been done just so they could focus on the "high pitched whine".

Good Luck,

Dan

Wilderness Green Touring 3.6R - Still at the Factory . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 2.5 Premium
update posted 4/3

2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
White
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
What could they do for me at this point? It hasn't met lemon law status...yet and they paid $11k to fix it. I don't think my "feelings" matter to them at this point. I'd love for them to buy it back or give me a new one, but I don't see that happening.

sirruspilot, just don't give up. Hold their feet to the fire (respectfully, but consistently) and document the living heck out of everything that has gone wrong - you know the routine - how, what, when & where.

As others have already mentioned here, invite SOA to the party, and get them on board.

If the car continues to have problems, but you still haven't reached 'lemon law' status, you MAY be able to work out an acceptable solution with the dealer, SOA, or both. That is when your meticulous documentation can be valuable. Most people are too lazy to do this.

Be the voice of reason in anything that you work out - if the car is back together again, no noises, etc., well, you may not be able to do too much. But if it's a whining, groaning, just not right vehicle, maybe they can work out a pretty attractive deal on another one.

I've been where you are with a Toyota Camry, at one time (LOOOONNG AGO), the hallmark of Toyota quality. I was very close to invoking the newly passed 'Lemon Law' clause and had left my car at the dealership for one last chance to fix everything before I started filing paperwork. But, while it was in their care, despite my direct written orders never to leave the car out at night, they did just that, and a bunch of kids & an adult demolished it inside and out.

Solution: the owner of the dealership arranged for me to order a new Camry (new models hadn't yet hit the showrooms) for $500 under invoice, gave me a generous trade-in allowance on the remains of my previous Camry, and I drove a loaner until my new car came in six weeks later.

Hmmmm….got any kids around your Subie dealer?

Just kidding. Hang in there - you can work through this!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

update posted 4/10

White
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Update to previous post

Update 4/10 - Car is still at the dealer. Dealership denied hearing any abnormal noise. Subaru engineer diagnosed whine as internal pump failure of the NEW CVT. Another CVT ordered and will be installed. I was told to be prepared to meet with a Subaru rep by weeks end to discuss my options.

Needless to say, I have lost all confidence in the reliability and safety of my car.
What a nightmare. The dealership denied hearing anything but Subaru engineer did? Typical on the part of the tech to return a car to the customer and state that it’s “operating as designed”.

How may repair attempts/days out of service does your states lemon law allow and in what time frame? I’m guessing with the subpar quality of my vehicle and others that I read about on this site, you will probably have something else pop up to add to your claim.

Good luck with meeting with your meeting with the Subaru Rep. I would explain from the getgo that you want a refund or replacement (even if you have not yet your states lemon law guidelines). They may entertain the offer since it would cut out having to pay your attorney costs.

Also, if you don’t meet your state lemon law, you may have a claim under the Fenderal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Most lemon law attorneys offer free consultations and usually work on a contingency basis (you don’t win, you don’t pay).

Good luck to you.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
If they're as busy as the service department of my local dealer, the job of road testing was likely left to a single technician. It's hardly a stretch of the imagination to consider the possibility that the tech was in fact unable to hear what was described as a "high pitched" noise. So, using the term "denial" is a bit harsh, IMO. Moderate hearing damage can erase that part of the spectrum quite easily. That's why you get a second opinion.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

final update 4/15

White

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: