New trans at 8k mi - - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 2.5 Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wife called saying she was stuck in friends relatively flat driveway that was lightly covered in snow. The first clue something wasn't right. Got there and noticed rear wheels weren't getting power. I took the car in and over a week later my '18 OB with 8k mi has an entire new transmission. New CVT, rear diff, and rear axles. Dealers paperwork stated over $11,000 in work.

The new trans is now making a high pitched whine that it didn't make before. Don't trust my OB's long-term reliability now.

Update:
Less than 24 hours after repair-
Heat shield came off my car at ~70mph. Scared the crap out of me and sounded like an explosion. Cartwheeled down the road and struck the car behind me. I immediately pulled over and the car it struck kept going. Went immediately back to the dealer. They were very nonchalant about it, "oh, sorry, we'll order another and have it on by Thursday." Also mentioned high pitch whine.

Update 4/15-
Subaru has offered a buy back or swap due to it reaching Vermont Lemon Law thresholds. The whining sound was an internal pump that failed on the NEW transmission. Dealer invoices were $11,007 for the first trans and $8756 for the second (CVT only).

My dealership experience was terrible. Don’t want to get on that rant though. However Subaru of America customer service was awesome. I’m not sure what I’ll replace it with; but, SOA did a good job and I may look the Ascent.

2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
White

Last edited by sirruspilot; 04-03-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: new info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Car: 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
Garage
Sorry to hear this news. I guess the only good thing having a new car vs used is the cost isn't yours when it comes to repairs. otherwise it does kind of take the new car fun away.

2014 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:10 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
That stinks. I'd get SOA involved at this point.

This post would be far more useful as part of your original thread:
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-problems.html
jsgntulok likes this.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
That stinks. I'd get SOA involved at this point.

This post would be far more useful as part of your original thread:
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-problems.html

I would like to. What would the basis of my case be? They covered it under warranty.

White
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirruspilot View Post
I would like to. What would the basis of my case be? They covered it under warranty.
I'd inquire about the high-pitched whine you mentioned. That doesn't seem right.
Dantrax likes this.

FEcamp: 2016 2.5i Premium Venetian Red Pearl with Warm Ivory cloth interior
Eyesight (Option Package 14) and rubber mats, auto dimming mirrors w/ approach lighting, splash guards (Popular Package 4)
StarLink 7" Multimedia Plus System (no Nav), DrawTite Trailer Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:30 AM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Update to previous post:

Wife called saying she was stuck in friends relatively flat driveway that was lightly covered in snow. The first clue something wasn't right. Got there and noticed rear wheels weren't getting power. I took the car in and over a week later my '18 OB with 8k mi has an entire new transmission. New CVT, rear diff, and rear axles. Dealers paperwork stated over $11,000 in work.

To make things better, the trans is now making a high pitched whine that it didn't make before. So, now I get the joy of a new car with the hassle of an old used car. Not happy with Subaru, the joy of a new car is ruined, and frankly don't trust my OB's long-term reliability now.
Quote:
To start with, "the trans is now making a high pitched whine that it didn't make before" and "not happy with Subaru" and "don't trust my OB's long-term reliability now."

This is very disappointing. Good luck and please let us know what transpires.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:57 PM

Car: 2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
The fact that it stripped both rear axles from the differential as well is pretty alarming. I think this is definitely an isolated incident with how obscure the damage is, but I would get SOA involved because that is very odd for the whole AWD system to fail that massively.
Dantrax likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Car: 2019 3.6R Limited Grey/Grey
Get SOA involved.
Don't give up.
Good luck and keep us posted.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipw View Post
To start with, "the trans is now making a high pitched whine that it didn't make before" and "not happy with Subaru" and "don't trust my OB's long-term reliability now."

This is very disappointing. Good luck and please let us know what transpires.

What could they do for me at this point? It hasn't met lemon law status...yet and they paid $11k to fix it. I don't think my "feelings" matter to them at this point. I'd love for them to buy it back or give me a new one, but I don't see that happening.

White
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:41 PM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
To me, presuming the "high pitched whine that it didn't make before" is real, it does not sound like the replacement transmission is satisfactory. Even if the sound does not indicate a problem that would affect the reliability of the car, it will worry you for the rest of the time it exists.

They need to make this right. Period.

SoA can exert leverage on the dealer that you can't, and they can approve diagnostic work that the dealer might not want to undertake with the risk of not being paid for doing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: