Why you are WRONG about the CVT - Page 14 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #131 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Car: 2018 328d Wagon / 2018 3.6R Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
Point is this, just like any oil in the engine, differentials and transmissions in any car, Subaru fluids break down over time. There is not a "lifetime" fluid out there, I don't care who says there is. It's not possible. Heat and pressure alter characteristics of fluids and unless the "lifetime" is for the life of your lease or under 60k miles, that CVT fluid needs to be replaced on intervals consistent with your driving. ....
Exactly this. I had a long discussion over this topic with a service writer at my wife's BMW dealership. He basically said lifetime fluid is the lifetime of the warranty. Our cars see a lot of heavy stop and go traffic, mixed in with some spirited highway driving. I change the oil in her car at about 50% of BMW's recommended interval. I asked the service writer if he thought I was being foolish, he told me no, as long as I plan on keeping the car after the warranty is over.

For folks that think different, I respect your views and wish you well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirruspilot View Post
Based on my personal experience, I will have to disagree. Refer to my post.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ans-8k-mi.html
This is why I mentioned that no auto transmission Subaru makes is bulletproof.

There are 5EATs that have been replaced on basically new cars.

It's the percentage of failure compared to number made that I'm going by.

It looks like you drew the short straw, unfortunately.

post #133 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Car: 2018 328d Wagon / 2018 3.6R Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
This is why I mentioned that no auto transmission Subaru makes is bulletproof.

There are 5EATs that have been replaced on basically new cars.

It's the percentage of failure compared to number made that I'm going by.

It looks like you drew the short straw, unfortunately.
On my 2010 Outback, the 5EAT was such an issue, Subaru had me trade it. Stuff happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #134 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Car: Subaru Outback 2.5XT MT
My 2012 CVT suffered failure at 72k mi. Then the 2.5L engine experienced no compression in cyl 4 at 92k mi. I like the way that the CVT drives, with the exception of the shift points. It doesn't need them and the flappy paddles are kinda silly. I have only used them for downshifting on a steep hill. People will probably think that the car was mistreated, but it wasn't. The CVT appears to have failed because the fluid leaked out of it, and the engine appears to have failed from excessive oil ingestion, which coked the exhaust valves causing them to stick and strike the head. There was a lot of liquid oil in the intake.
Rjbur likes this.
post #135 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:30 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Wrong forum, but it sounds to me like there should have been obvious warning signs for both of those failures.
post #136 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Car: Subaru Outback 2.5XT MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
Wrong forum, but it sounds to me like there should have been obvious warning signs for both of those failures.
The CVT was brought to the dealer when symptoms started. At that point is was apparently already toast. It was replaced out of warranty by Subaru. I've seen the oil-filled intake issue on other makes, so it's not strictly a Subaru issue. There wouldn't normally be any symptom other than a very alert owner might notice the slight oil level drop between changes. Removing the TB for cleaning would also make the issue observable. When the exhaust valve sticks, there won't be much warning until the moment it happens, the valve bent, and the compression lost. I found it exceedingly easy to replace the engine as it was done in a weekend for about $1,500. From my POV, both of these issues are manufacturing issues, although it's possbile that the oil issue is a design problem. For previous years, there is a TSB.
post #137 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:12 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 2.5i, and soon 2019 Ascent Touring
Garage
I just had to pipe in. I have the 2018 Outback Touring and the only disappointment I have with the CVT, thus far, is the annoying FAKE shifting it does! They seem to think we need to feel the shifting, else we will think something is wrong?

OK, if I switch to "Manual" mode from "D", then yea, fake away...

It really should be something WE can choose in the Vehicle Settings window on the Head Unit.

I am thinking that my MPG might even improve if the car doesn't have to rev up the RPM's just fake an up-shift and then drop them down again as if I had a traditional transmission.

My previous car was a 2008 Prius and the CVT smoothly accelerates...

Ahhhhh, so maybe that's it..... they don't want the Outback CVT to feel like a gutless Prius.... Well I should still have the option to fake shift or not. Really should be a simple setting that adjust the drive computer...

Rich
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
Purchased June 2018
post #138 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjbur View Post
I just had to pipe in. I have the 2018 Outback Touring and the only disappointment I have with the CVT, thus far, is the annoying FAKE shifting it does! They seem to think we need to feel the shifting, else we will think something is wrong?

OK, if I switch to "Manual" mode from "D", then yea, fake away...

It really should be something WE can choose in the Vehicle Settings window on the Head Unit.

I am thinking that my MPG might even improve if the car doesn't have to rev up the RPM's just fake an up-shift and then drop them down again as if I had a traditional transmission.

My previous car was a 2008 Prius and the CVT smoothly accelerates...

Ahhhhh, so maybe that's it..... they don't want the Outback CVT to feel like a gutless Prius.... Well I should still have the option to fake shift or not. Really should be a simple setting that adjust the drive computer...
Keep the rooms under 2400 and you will not feel the shifts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!
Rjbur likes this.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #139 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Ltd PZEV w/ Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica
While being light on the pedal is true. A cvt should not act like a cvt only when feathering it. Pedal a modern automatic and you cant feel the shifts either. And also doesn't work in driving situations that require a little more power. Like highway entry or moderate grade inclines.

I remember when my wife traded in her leased 2012 Impreza for a 2015 and it had the fake shifts.. First time she merged onto the interstate and it "shifted" she thought something broke and almost took it back to dealer. Then explained the shifting and she wanted her 12 back because it was smoother.. Go figure.

'15 OBW 2.5i Ltd w/Eyesite, Crystal Black Silica
'12 OBW 2.5i Ltd, Graphite Gray Metallic
post #140 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5
Great video @Brucey - I really liked the video examples showing the difference in the AWD/traction control systems, very informational.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: