Why you are WRONG about the CVT - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #21 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how much of the engine noise is related to the cvt? the car seems super noisy when accelerating, but tolerable when cruising at a steady speed? our pathfinder has a cvt and its super quiet, so im not sure what is the culprit - the boxer or the cvt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:41 PM

I don't know about "You're wrong because I say so" threads.

I don' feel shift points until I need RPMs to accelerate quickly. I honestly don't know how a 4 cylinder would be safe without shift points for revving the engine up to higher RPMs instantly.

Beary

post #23 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:47 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary View Post
I don't know about "You're wrong because I say so" threads.
Certainly no worse than all the sophomoric "CVTs suck!!!" posts and threads.

Quote:
I honestly don't know how a 4 cylinder would be safe without shift points for revving the engine up to higher RPMs instantly.
A CVT doesn't need to simulate discrete "shift points" to do that.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
7spd Manual Ford Bronco? Could be interesting

For a few days the Bronco gave me pause on my upcoming Forester purchase, but then I remembered this is Ford and a first model year.

I don't trust them to get much right. Heck just go to the new JL Wrangler forums, how long have Jeep had soft-tops and removable hardtops and yet ton's of complaints on the new ones.
post #25 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:37 PM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary View Post
I don't know about "You're wrong because I say so" threads...
That's a mischaracterization, IMO, simply because they weren't your typical lazy, unsubstantiated statements. You were presented with a logical argument on each point in the first post, including the source of the reliability data. I've come to the same conclusion independently - if you doubt it, then try searching for yourself.
post #26 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Does anyone have any tips for when the cvt lags when cold. In order to get out of the subdivision I have to get onto a road that can get busy and you have to get in quickly. The CVT will sometimes take a second to respond when cold compared to when warm. I sometimes start accelerating half a second before I have to but even then it is very slow to accelerate and I have to be the guy who gets in the lane and slows everyone down.
post #27 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:25 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
Does anyone have any tips for when the cvt lags ...
It may help to let the engine run at fast idle for 30 seconds to a minute before pulling out into traffic. Don't floor the gas pedal abruptly, rather roll it in smoothly.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
It may help to let the engine run at fast idle for 30 seconds to a minute before pulling out into traffic. Don't floor the gas pedal abruptly, rather roll it in quickly but smoothly.
I would say all Subaru electronic DBW throttle mapping work better if you smoothly "roll" the throttle. Stomping on it tends to cause delay/hic-ups
MiddleAgeSubie and ammcinnis like this.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #29 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Car: 2017 2.5 Outback Limited no Eyesight
I like Brucey's hat. When one dons a hat like that, you know that they know their stuff.

I didn't think I'd like the CVT but I've found the shift points make it feel like the old automatics.

Number three of Brucey's first post is personal preference and will always vary from person to person.
post #30 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:08 PM

Car: 2018 Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappylegacyowner View Post
how much of the engine noise is related to the cvt? the car seems super noisy when accelerating, but tolerable when cruising at a steady speed? our pathfinder has a cvt and its super quiet, so im not sure what is the culprit - the boxer or the cvt.

Engine noise is engine noise....the 2.5 has more than the 3.6 as well as your (V6) Pathfinder. The bigger engines produce more power at lower revs so they operate more quietly and with less vibration. The engine noise complaint specifically with a CVT is that when accelerating, the engine is at a constantly higher rpm as opposed to the typical up/down revving of a traditional trans. I've never really liked any CVT's attached to 4cyls but Honda's connected with the turbos aren't bad. But again, those engines have considerably more power at lower revs than non-turbo 4's.

unhappylegacyowner likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: