Why you are WRONG about the CVT - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #31 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
[url]

Final thoughts:

Do your own research. Think for yourself. Question authority. I'm just a guy wearing a raccoon for a hat.

But based on my own research it seems the CVT is unfairly hated on this forum and many other corners of the internet and hopefully this post helps change that.
I get all my information from postings on and linked to this forum.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/68-news-media/497779-fatal-flaw-cvt-subaru-according-scotty-kilmer-internet-expert-idiot.html

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:35 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
I get all my information from postings on and linked to this forum.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ert-idiot.html
Scotty

Good thing he's as Crazy as he comes off, otherwise he'd be dangerous. Oh, wait, he's on You-Tube ... he already is.

But then again, so is @Brucey. Ahem! On You-Tube I mean.

Brucey likes this.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #33 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:08 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
The problem is the CVT is a terrible 6-speed automatic. And the CVT with the fake shift points is no longer a true continuously variable transmission.

C'mon Subaru, you went with the CVT for a reason. Don't give me prime rib and then put ketchup on it.
100% agree, I love my 2017 Outback with the exception of the CVT. Aside from the awkwardness of the fake shifts it's also pretty jerky in most conditions.

I drive a 2016 Forester for work sometimes, and the CVT in that car is much better.
post #34 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Car: 2018 Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
100% agree, I love my 2017 Outback with the exception of the CVT. Aside from the awkwardness of the fake shifts it's also pretty jerky in most conditions. . .

This gets back to 2.5 vs 3.6 issues well covered in other threads. Your 2.5 has to rev higher to reach a given speed so the fake shifts appear much more often than in the 3.6, where it’s rare to even experience them. Also, startup jerkiness was reduced in the 2018’s. So, actually a 2018 or later 3.6 with a CVT is pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #35 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpal View Post
This gets back to 2.5 vs 3.6 issues well covered in other threads. Your 2.5 has to rev higher to reach a given speed so the fake shifts appear much more often than in the 3.6, where it’s rare to even experience them. Also, startup jerkiness was reduced in the 2018’s. So, actually a 2018 or later 3.6 with a CVT is pretty sweet.
Opps, you did it again

Not another 2.5 vs 3.6 debate
Zedhead likes this.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #36 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:47 PM

Car: 2018 Touring 3.6R
Why you are WRONG about the CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
. . . . Not another 2.5 vs 3.6 debate

Actually not at all. As I said, this 2.5 vs 3.6 thing has been well covered in other threads.

Fun having Britney Spears on the thread, though.

post #37 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 PM

Car: 2018 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpal View Post
Actually not at all. As I said, this 2.5 vs 3.6 thing has been well covered in other threads.

Fun having Britney Spears on the thread, though.

Agree 100%. CVT downsides are more pronounced on 2.5 due to less available torque on low rpms.

I see lots of 2.5 going faster than me on the highway. Once you reach cruise speed, transmission and engine downsides are less pronounced.
post #38 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:56 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugcLsRQ2U3E

I just had to go and make this one.

I just got one too many "Subaru is great but the CVT isn't" comments and have a bone to pick with these folk.

Most of the comments and posts here boil down to 3 things:

1. Bad Off Road
2. Unreliable
3. Doesn't feel good

1. "Bad Off Road" Is easy to disprove.

Go anywhere on the internet (or even my corner of it) and watch a CVT Subaru go off road.

Then compare it to the older 4/5EAT's.

The CVT in my experience is more capable because of the VDC systems that they get. I haven't seen a lot of people pushing the older VDC cars except maybe @scalman

2. "Unreliable." This one is a little harder to disprove but still pretty easy.

Go anywhere on the internet and look at the failure rate of the CVTs (Subaru has used 2, the 580 and the 690) and compare them to the failure rate of the older 4/5EATs.

I used the NHTSA website and found on average more reported issues with the older transmissions than with the CVTs. This isn't completely fair as there are more Gen 5's made than there are 1, 2, and 3's combined. But it is a good starting point.

I even had my reservations about the CVT in my XV that I owned for a short time. But after owning 3 of them and having no issues I don't think it's fair to call them unreliable.

Yes, the CVT has had issues. Yes, you can find reports of them needing replacement at 50k miles. But you can do that with 5EAT's too.

The 4EAT is only bulletproof if you choose to ignore the center diff binding, the parking pawl, slipping, hard shifting, duty solenoids failing, and the entirety of the SVX.

None of the transmissions Subaru use (4EAT, 5EAT, TR580, TR690) are bulletproof and it shouldn't be described as such. They're all good systems though.

3. "Feels bad, man" This one is going to be nearly impossible to disprove.

I can't offer much data here beyond my own thoughts:

All the automotive journalists tend to hate them and as such the CVT gets a bad rap.

Some people don't like the droning/motorboat feeling so Subaru added fake shifts in so now some people don't like the fake shifts. They can't win.

They get blamed for the car being slow and in my experience the CVT is slower than the 5EAT off the line (0-30) but 30-90 it can match a 5EAT.

So in my mind if it's speed your after you shouldn't buy a CVT... Or an Automatic... Or an Outback... Or a Subaru if I'm honest. The fast ones aren't fast.

Not unless you think matching a stock minivan or stock Honda Accord is fast.

Final thoughts:

Do your own research. Think for yourself. Question authority. I'm just a guy wearing a raccoon for a hat.

But based on my own research it seems the CVT is unfairly hated on this forum and many other corners of the internet and hopefully this post helps change that.
I have never had a second thought about the CVT in our Outback. It's a smooth system. I prefer a manual transmission, and still have one in another car, but I have zero issues with the CVT in the Outback.
post #39 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugcLsRQ2U3E

So in my mind if it's speed your after you shouldn't buy a CVT... Or an Automatic... Or an Outback... Or a Subaru if I'm honest. The fast ones aren't fast.

Not unless you think matching a stock minivan or stock Honda Accord is fast.

Final thoughts:

After driving a 4-banger 1991 Toyota Pickup Truck for over 20 years, let me tell you one thing. Subaru Outbacks are freaking race cars! Like...I can actually accelerate going up a hill.

Where you stand on speed depends on where you sit. 20 years in a pickup truck that had a lawn mower engine has a way of changing perspective.

BTW...I like the raccoon hat.

I also like the CVT for all the reasons you shared.
mdywv, New Stratos and Sue Brew like this.
post #40 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:01 AM

Car: 2018 outback limited
I keep it all in perspective. It’s a 30,000ish dollar crossover/station wagon i guess. I like mine, not to noisy(over the constant ringing in my years) accelerates good enough, good fuel mileage, shifts when it needs to, etc. if I want to roast my tires I’ll drive my diesel, if I want luxury I’ll drive my wife’s rig. I don’t understand why people just don’t sell them if they don’t like them.

People want everything anymore, next it’ll be I want butter with my bread..........

Yoda_One likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in