Why you are WRONG about the CVT - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #41 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:23 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST98 View Post
I like mine, not to noisy(over the constant ringing in my ears) ..
For evening relief ......
https://www.amazon.com/BST-100-Sound...s%2C147&sr=8-2

During the day Relief App for your phone and Bluetooth earphone/ plugin is an option or Bluetooth hearing aids.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:34 AM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
I will add that I was not impressed with the performance of the original iteration of the TR690 mated with the old EJ engines (2010 - 2012). I drove a few during that period, and then again in 2013 as CPO vehicles, and they didn't coast well when you lifted off the pedal. There were other quirks as well related to hanging on to a set RPM for too long during acceleration.

In the summer/fall of 2013 I gave them a try again, and the FB engine mated to the TR580 changed my mind. I tried a CPO 2011 back to back with a new one and came to the conclusion that while it still felt 'different' from a conventional autobox, it had decent overall performance and driveability. I ended up buying a new delivery 2014 that September.

Now as you know, I've had plenty of complaints about my 2014. Overall driveability has sucked and the car has been in multiple times to two dealers with only limited relief thanks to two ECU/TCU software updates.

Who knew that the root cause of the issues was a consistently OVERFILLED crankcase??

I love my OBW now! How many others out there are unhappy with how their Subaru performs, but have no idea why and are blaming it on the CVT?

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #43 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:38 AM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh009 View Post
After driving a 4-banger 1991 Toyota Pickup Truck for over 20 years, let me tell you one thing. Subaru Outbacks are freaking race cars! Like...I can actually accelerate going up a hill.
At different times I had a 1976 Chevy Luv pickup and a 1978 Plymouth Horizon as daily drivers. Both had automatics. I later had a 1988 Toyota 4 cylinder pickup with an automatic that felt like a race car compared to the other two.
But yeah, my 2.5 Outback performs better than a lot of my previous cars. I have a hard time being critical of the handling even.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #44 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdupton View Post

I find that I don't even notice the differences between driving the two most of the time except in one respect. When backing up and shifting from Reverse to Drive:
  • The 5EAT engages within about 1/4 to 1/2 second
  • The HTCVT takes from 1.25 to 3 seconds to engage depending on temperature.
I've seen this reported else where and briefly mentioned it in the video.

This is one of the few CVT issues that seem to be legit. I've never noticed it myself but maybe I'm just used to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post

How many others out there are unhappy with how their Subaru performs, but have no idea why and are blaming it on the CVT?
That style of post (Car died on the highway, it's the CVT!!!) is what motivated me to make this thesis video/topic.

It's just so unfair to an otherwise good transmission that it's always bashed. Most of the time people don't even know what transmission is being used.

Then you show them documentation of known issues and repair on the CVT (This one is good) and they wander off.
post #45 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:49 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpal View Post
...Also, startup jerkiness was reduced in the 2018’s. So, actually a 2018 or later 3.6 with a CVT is pretty sweet...
Reference? I briefly considered upgrading to a 2018. I recall a whole thread about 2018 "improvements", with multiple claims of the CVT in the 3.6 "shifting smoother" (giving some of us a nice chuckle), but with nothing but a few subjective impressions from test drives or upgrades to back it up. There were also claims that this CVT performance enhancement was documented in a press release, but no reference could be provided. The official 2018 press release only says they made the TR580 CVT (used in the 2.5) quieter. IIRC, some of the more vocal members on this topic had recently upgraded from an earlier Gen 5 to the 2018, so it started smelling like the typical confirmation bias you get from folks suffering from "upgraditis". Anyway, I just remember finding it odd because my CVT has always felt perfectly smooth, and I believe I was not alone in that opinion. Perhaps some of us were just lucky.
Yoda_One likes this.
post #46 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:53 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post

This is one of the few CVT issues that seem to be legit. I've never noticed it myself but maybe I'm just used to it?

The lag exists and it takes 1-2 secs going from R to D ... but is it a big deal ?? IMHO no it is not, you get used to it. You have to look at a vehicle as a whole too, I doubt if there is anything out there that is perfect.
post #47 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhercules View Post
The lag exists and it takes 1-2 secs going from R to D ... but is it a big deal ?? IMHO no it is not, you get used to it. You have to look at a vehicle as a whole too, I doubt if there is anything out there that is perfect.
If there's a lag, I've never noticed it. The CVT is smooth and quiet at all times, and I only notice the artificial shift points if I hammer the throttle on the freeway to merge with traffic. Other than than, it's stays quite steady at 2000 RPM or lower.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

post #48 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
That's a mischaracterization, IMO, simply because they weren't your typical lazy, unsubstantiated statements. You were presented with a logical argument on each point in the first post, including the source of the reliability data. I've come to the same conclusion independently - if you doubt it, then try searching for yourself.
Mischaracterization! Hmm. The data is still "your" personal data, and quite frankly, heavily opinionated (emotional).

I have no problem with your opinions, everyone has one. Yours is as interesting as many others, but not scientific.

As for searching myself, why? I like the CVT. I don't mind shift points, it's not an electric car.

Beary
post #49 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdupton View Post
The HTCVT takes from 1.25 to 3 seconds to engage depending on temperature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post

This is one of the few CVT issues that seem to be legit. I've never noticed it myself ...
TSB 16-97-15 (11/4/2015) specifies the maximum time delay as 1.5 seconds when shifting from Neutral to Reverse or Neutral to Drive under standard conditions.

It seems likely that driver impatience is the dominant factor in most complaints of this nature. It's been a non-issue in both our 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

post #50 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Car: 2019 Outback 2.5i Premium
There's something to be said for appliance cars. Most new cars today are appliances. By "appliance," I mean when it's working, you barely notice it's there. Like a furnace, refrigerator, or toaster. People who complain about the CVT simply don't like appliance cars that have things like CVTs, electric power steering, or infotainment. They like noisy, mechanical drivetrains with old school stereos and hydraulic power steering with lots of feedback to remind them that they're driving a complicated machine. They learn every little nuance in every sound, twitch, and rattle and develop an emotional connection to the car because of it. That's what they're used to, so anything different is distracting and unfamiliar, therefore automatically bad. If you don't like appliance cars, good luck keeping your 2002 Honda Accord on the road (assuming you don't blow the transmission).

I love my Outback with its CVT, cushy driver aids, and flashy gadgets. It gets me to my destination safely and comfortably.

cardoc, Seajay and afanofsteel like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: