Why you are WRONG about the CVT - Page 6 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #51 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Car: 2010 3.6R Ltd MR/Nav & 2019 3.6R Ltd Pkg24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ammcinnis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
TSB 16-97-15 (11/4/2015) specifies the maximum time delay as 1.5 seconds when shifting from Neutral to Reverse or Neutral to Drive under standard conditions.

It seems likely that driver impatience is the dominant factor in most complaints of this nature. It's been a non-issue in both our 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback.
Thanks for the pointer to the TSB. The TSB you mentioned says it only applies to the 4 cylinder models between MY2013 and MY2016. It also specified that the 1.5 second criteria only applies when the transmission is warm. As I noted in my post on this thread, my car is a 2019 3.6R so the TSB may not be applicable. My car also shows the greatest delay when first starting up. Do you know if another similar TSB exists for the 3.6R / HTCVT combination?

Regarding driver impatience, I can understand how the delay will seem longer than it really is if you are in a hurry. However, I am ever the engineer, so I have timed mine with a stopwatch. That is how I am confident that the delay in my car is between 1.25 seconds and 3 seconds.

One other thing to note is that TSB specifies measuring the delay from R to N, N to D, or vice versa. My measurement is directly from R to D.

It is interesting to note that the TSB has a transmission retraining procedure outlined. I cannot image that trying that would hurt anything, so will give it a shot when I have time. If it does change the delay behavior, I'll report back.

John

Brucey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdupton View Post
Do you know if another similar TSB exists for the 3.6R / HTCVT combination?
Not that I know of. A simple search on STIS (the Subaru Technical Information System) would be definitive. My expectation is that a similar delay spec would apply to both CVT versions.

Edit: The 2015 Factory Service Manual for the TR-690 CVT specifies that the "time lag standard" is 1.2 seconds for N-D shifts and 1.5 seconds for N->R shifts at a CVT fluid temperature of 140-176 F (60-80 C). For the TR-580 CVT, the 2015 FSM specifies 1.5 seconds for both shifts.

Quote:
One other thing to note is that TSB specifies measuring the delay from R to N, N to D, or vice versa. My measurement is directly from R to D.
My experience is that clutch release delay (R->N or D->N) is negligible.

Quote:
It is interesting to note that the TSB has a transmission retraining procedure outlined. I cannot image that trying that would hurt anything, so will give it a shot when I have time.
Unfortunately, retraining apparently requires the Subaru SSM diagnostic tool to reset the TCU before starting.

jdupton likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary View Post
Mischaracterization! Hmm. The data is still "your" personal data, and quite frankly, heavily opinionated (emotional)...
No, I'm quite confident that's accurate, you simply haven't understood my point. I have zero emotional investment in this. Given your other responses, I don't think it's worth my time to explain further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary View Post
...I don't mind shift points, it's not an electric car...
"Simulated shifts" is more accurate. Just as with an electric vehicle, they accomplish nothing other than placating what is likely a minority of buyers.
post #54 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Car: 2018 Touring 3.6R
Why you are WRONG about the CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
Reference? I briefly considered upgrading to a 2018. I recall a whole thread about 2018 "improvements", with multiple claims of the CVT in the 3.6 "shifting smoother" (giving some of us a nice chuckle), but with nothing but a few subjective impressions from test drives or upgrades to back it up. There were also claims that this CVT performance enhancement was documented in a press release, but no reference could be provided. The official 2018 press release only says they made the TR580 CVT (used in the 2.5) quieter. IIRC, some of the more vocal members on this topic had recently upgraded from an earlier Gen 5 to the 2018, so it started smelling like the typical confirmation bias you get from folks suffering from "upgraditis". Anyway, I just remember finding it odd because my CVT has always felt perfectly smooth, and I believe I was not alone in that opinion. Perhaps some of us were just lucky.

Not sure why a reference is so important to you, but the only thing I can add is the April 2018 Consumer Reports, where they specifically mentioned this improvement over the 2017’s in their very positive summary review of the 2018 Outbacks. I test drove a 2017 before ordering my 2018, and noted the less than smooth start of acceleration, but felt it was acceptable. All of this is subjective, just as your finding the situation OK in your 2017.

If proof is still important to you, suggest obtaining that year-old mag from CR, and/or test driving a 2018. Otherwise, since you seem happy with yours, why not just enjoy it as I do mine. And enjoy the non-upgraditis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #55 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by live311 View Post
If you don't like appliance cars, good luck keeping your 2002 Honda Accord on the road (assuming you don't blow the transmission).

When was a Honda Accord ever not an appliance car?

I have some concern about the long term durability of the Subaru CVT mated to a 256 hp 6-cylinder engine. I'm not aware that anyone else in 2015 was using a CVT in a 250+ hp application. I don't think there's enough data yet.
post #56 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:24 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Heh, just curious if you had a reference. Tip-in is not what I thought you were talking about (nor does it have anything to do with the CVT). That's something some are better able to control than others, IME. Yes, it's sensitive, but causes me no problem. The wife, however, has a little trouble with my car in that respect.
post #57 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
I've seen this [editor: LAG FROM R TO D] reported else where and briefly mentioned it in the video.

This is one of the few CVT issues that seem to be legit. I've never noticed it myself but maybe I'm just used to it?
I've never noticed it myself - but then again I caught myself about 5 years ago (in my prior car) having developed a nasty habit of throwing the shifter from R to D really fast in a daily three-point turn. Worried about unnecessary wear and tear, I spent about a month with a yellow sticky on the dash reminding me to change gears only after a complete stop and a brief pause. Seems to have done the trick since now I subconsciously move to or from R like a cautious grandma. So I am not surprised I have never really noticed it, and it wouldn't surprise me if it is noticeable to others.

New Owner (5/18): 2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
post #58 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:10 PM

Car: 2018 3.6R Black Outback
I am on another car forum and people constantly trash the CVT. I tell them I honestly cant say I can tell the difference between a new Subaru CVT and a new regular automatic, and I am guessing most people cant either when driving the car.
Brucey, walker, rockyp and 2 others like this.
post #59 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Car: 2018 Subaru OB Premium
I always like the "it makes the car feel gutless" excuse

A 6 speed auto would still feel gutless in my 2.5 and I'd get worse fuel mileage. I just wish it was a little more linear from a stop but that's the trade off it appears, my wifes old Honda Fit was the same way
post #60 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensky View Post
I am on another car forum and people constantly trash the CVT. I tell them I honestly cant say I can tell the difference between a new Subaru CVT and a new regular automatic, and I am guessing most people cant either when driving the car.
Show them my video. That's why I made it.

I was hesitant about the CVT when it was new but now that it's been ten years there should be plenty of data available if they're willing to change their mind.

Sensky and KSKarl like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: