Why you are WRONG about the CVT - Page 7 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #61 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Car: 2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for that, Brucey. I get in my car, put it in drive and don't worry about the lack of shift points. I think the raccoon on your head and I would agree that for most of us it's non-issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 PM

My CVT is shifty fake and thus a phony wannbe 6 speed. Other than that its been good to me thus far.

post #63 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
Show them my video. That's why I made it.

I was hesitant about the CVT when it was new but now that it's been ten years there should be plenty of data available if they're willing to change their mind.
Top Tier gas is just a horseshit marketing gimmick
Brucey likes this.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #64 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:26 PM

Car: 2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
For both those who like the continuous ratio changes and for those who like to feel gears, the current cars have the answer -- You get to choose with your right foot.
I can push the long pedal down and feel the engine rev and shift like the old auto box, or
I can accelerate gently and my shiftless car keeps up with traffic. Actually, that's how I found its continuous mode, following other traffic instead of my usual way of taking off. ;-)
walker likes this.
post #65 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:56 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Premium (USA 2.5i Limited/Touring)
Overall I like the CVT, the only thing that concerns me is the fake shift points.
If you use >30 to 40% accelerator, you introduce the fake shift points, I assume these shift points are always at consistent positions on the CVT pulleys.
If so, is that going to cause premature uneven wear, from the metal chain, at those shift points on the pulleys, which could lead to slippage of the chain in the future?
Personally I would have preferred if Subaru had no fake shift points in Intelligent mode and only included the fake shift points in Sport mode, then drivers would have a choice and possibly everyone would be happy.
jimpal likes this.
post #66 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
With the CVT, there's definitely a lag when shifting from P to R or P to D. Lag, as others suggest in this post, runs around 1 to 3 seconds, depending on weather. I make a point of NOT hitting the gas pedal during this time. I suspect people punching the gas during this short interval causes problems with the CVT down the road.

And this lag isn't just a Subaru thing, either. My mom's new Honda HR-V has a CVT and it has a similar lag when shifting.
jdupton likes this.
post #67 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaw View Post
If you use >30 to 40% accelerator, you introduce the fake shift points, I assume these shift points are always at consistent positions on the CVT pulleys.
I'm not certain about this. I notice that if I pull the paddle shifter or move the shift lever into manual mode for some compression braking downhill, it doesn't lock on the same RPM vs. speed. It seems to depend on the speed I'm traveling when I engage the manual mode. Now if that does the same with the sake shifts on acceleration, I can't say.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

post #68 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Car: 2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
When I was first taught how to drive back in 197-something it was on a manual transmission car. My father was a truck driver and would balance a glass of water on the dash while I was driving. Success in shifting gears was determined by that glass of water not sloshing, tipping over or spilling a drop; Failure involved lots of yelling on his part and tears on my part.

I learned how to drive a car with smooth acceleration and smooth shifting and gradual braking. When I was finally allowed to own an automatic transmission vehicle it was unnerving that the car would do all of this jerking around through shift points. The habit has stuck with me and while there are times that I can drive with a lead foot I still buzz through the gears without the kick of gear changes.

Automatic transmission shift points, especially when they are harsh, makes me grit my teeth. Adding shift points to a transmission that does not need them... grrrrrr.
byebye6cyl and Ron T like this.

Greetings from the leading factory authorized interocitor service center of the Milky Way galaxy for the last three millennia. If you are in the Orion arm stop by to see the latest models. Now with interdimensional mutate capabilities!

Sol system, third primary planet. (Excuse our mess! Just ignore the bipedal life forms, their extinction is under way).
post #69 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaw View Post
Overall I like the CVT, the only thing that concerns me is the fake shift points.
If so, is that going to cause premature uneven wear, from the metal chain, at those shift points on the pulleys, which could lead to slippage of the chain in the future?
Personally I would have preferred if Subaru had no fake shift points in Intelligent mode and only included the fake shift points in Sport mode, then drivers would have a choice and possibly everyone would be happy.
Interesting post. You're worried about the future wear of the CVT as a result shift points, and I can't go three months without taking my OB in for head unit issues and other oddities. My CVT warranty is somewhere around 100,000 miles.

I think you Sport mode idea is interesting, but isn't using more than 40% of the accelerator kind of driving sporty?

I know, I'm just having a little fun, but I was thinking that if a tree falls in the woods, does the Subaru driver feel the shift points? I mean if Subaru didn't tell anyone about the CVT and we all thought we had a traditional transmission, would there be all this angst?

Beary
post #70 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:22 AM

Car: 2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary View Post
I know, I'm just having a little fun, but I was thinking that if a tree falls in the woods, does the Subaru driver feel the shift points? I mean if Subaru didn't tell anyone about the CVT and we all thought we had a traditional transmission, would there be all this angst?
I got used to them, but coming from a Gen 4 that didn’t have the fake shift points, it is a little sad to lose that smooth ramp of RPMs. It’s not nearly as bad as the old 4EAT in the 2.5s of old though.

I’m not too worried about the shift points and longevity. Manual mode quick drops for engine braking are far more aggressive than the fake shift points. And the shift points are much “smoother”, which makes me think they are not as quick as the old 4EAT shifts. But that may be the larger gear ratio changes in the 4EAT messing with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in