'19 OB Temp. Gauge - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Car: '19 OB 3.6R LIMITED
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'19 OB Temp. Gauge

Why is my outside temp. gauge always 5 degrees higher than what is outside (comparing this to an iPhone which always seems to be 99.9% accurate).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
I guess it is one of the great mysteries of the universe. But they most likely both are true... The OB is correctly given the at point temperature and the iPhone given you the official reading from the weather bureau.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

Tonia Arey likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:33 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia Arey View Post
Why is my outside temp. gauge always 5 degrees higher than what is outside (comparing this to an iPhone which always seems to be 99.9% accurate).
Most cars, and I expect our OB to be the same, has the temp sensor under or below the front bumper. Therefore, it picks up heat from the ground, as well as the car when not moving. That said, mine is usually accurate once I'm moving and have traveled a couple of miles.
paroxysym and Tonia Arey like this.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:14 PM

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited
Garage
Your car uses sensors to get an accurate or close idea of temperature.
Your phone uses a weather app.
You can read about it in the manual.

2002 WRX, STI engine swapped,daily.
1992 Turbo Integra GSR
2006 White Legacy SUS
2015 Limited Yellow Crosstrek
2008 Subaru Tribeca
Subaru Service Technician.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:41 AM

Ambient temp sensors will typically read higher when parked outside with sun beaming down on it.. usually takes vehicle to be driving a few miles for accurate temp to show.

On hot summer days, temp may read 20+ higher than what it actually is when first starting car.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 AM

Car: 2018 Limited 2.5i
Garage
... somebody made a thread about this.. wow
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:59 AM

Car: 2014 3.6R Limited
LOL, Mine is pretty accurate. Usually runs a few degrees higher on the interstates due to the heat created from all the traffic. Obviously reads high after sitting in a parking lot in the sun.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 AM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
... somebody made a thread about this.. wow
This is most likely an error of how the OP is making the comparison. But we can't ignore that temperature sensors (thermocouples) are not immune to error. Many sensor circuits have an adjustable bias somewhere to make a correction (fudge factor).

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 AM

Car: Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
Low tech ambient temp check

Tonia... I have a defective (10 deg low) readout on my 2018 OB. I tried a couple of low tech (not perfect but close) methods to verify that it was not accurate. 1] Tape a house type thermometer (or cooking thermometer) to the outside of a window where you can easily read it while driving. 2] I had a $10 digital thermometers with a 10 foot wired sensor. I ran wire out door and under hood and temporarily attach to lower left of grill. Your car sensor is on lower right grill. This position gives the ambient air/ road temp close to what the car sensor detects. A wireless house thermometer would probably be easier.

Your phone may be telling you the temperature 50+ miles away in the shade. I would not trust it.

If your temperature readout error is consistent the dealer can make a correction with the Subaru Select Service Monitor (within +/- 9 deg F).

For the record... my household thermometers were checked against a lab thermometer and well within 1 +/- deg F.

2018 Outback 2.5i Premium with "the works"
plus...Opt7 footwell lights, Rally Armor mudflaps, hour meter
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Heh, not nearly the first thread on this topic in the Gen 5 forum.

Good point on the highway heat - very common source of error. On hot, sunny days, I have also seen repeatable temperature drops of 3-5 degrees when driving from one town that has very few trees, and tons of houses with tiny yards, into another where the roads and yards are loaded with big old trees. But, there have been a few reports here of poorly calibrated Outbacks, and a visit to the dealer can get that corrected. To be sure, a good test is to check the temperature reading on a cold vehicle, one that's been sitting for several hours, at night or just before sunrise. It should be very close to any local weather station reading. If it is, then there's nothing to be done, the posts above pretty much cover your problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: