Clock suddenly 1 hour off - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:52 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with Technology Package
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2015 Outback with a similar problem, though with the added feature that the poor clock can't decide what time it is and just keeps switching an hour back, then forward. At one point it did so about once per second, for several minutes. It finally decided to be an hour behind with just periodic, very short, returns to the correct time. It will be off to the dealer tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Location: Sometimes in Colorado - Sometimes in Pennsylvania - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor
Car: 2017 Outback Limited -2.5 CVT ---- 'Gone' 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair - what's left.
If your clock is 'set' using your GPS/NAV system and it changes to a wrong time...

And the US GPS system has a major reset... That is known to affect OLDER GPS units...

I wouldn't be quick to 'blame' Subaru.

Maybe there is a 'fix' but don't be surprised if the GPS/NAV system time is wrong forever.

post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Car: 2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
Just change the time zone that your car is set to.

Greetings from the leading factory authorized interocitor service center of the Milky Way galaxy for the last three millennia. If you are in the Orion arm stop by to see the latest models. Now with interdimensional mutate capabilities!

Sol system, third primary planet. (Excuse our mess! Just ignore the bipedal life forms, their extinction is under way).
post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
It happened on my 2015 3.6R that has NAV. I noticed it Sunday late-morning. The '+' and '-' buttons next to the clock display cause the clock to show "---". The manual says that if you see "---", you have to have the dealer change a setting to not use the GPS in the NAV to change the time. With Google, I searched on how to change the time on an Outback. I messed with the settings in the NAV screen with no luck. I then messed with the settings on the speedo display using the steering wheel buttons and the clock started displaying the right time. I think I turned DST off and on. I don't know the magic combination but I'm back to showing the correct time. "Fixed while fumbling". I'll keep an eye on it in the fall to see if it switches back to standard time automatically.

I bought new summer tires on Friday (Michelin Premier LTX 225/60R18). I thought it was the tire shop tool on the ODB-II port somehow resetting a bunch of settings. I usually use my own ATEQ TPMS QuickSet but I'd asked them to check that the senders were working and they went ahead and reprogrammed the car as I was standing there since they already had the 4 numbers read into the tool.
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Curious to know if anyone experiencing this problem also has a mute button to silence the navigation voice (which would be evidence that you've had at least one firmware update on the HU, since 2015s lacked that "feature" until around 2017).
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:34 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
Curious to know if anyone experiencing this problem also has a mute button to silence the navigation voice (which would be evidence that you've had at least one firmware update on the HU, since 2015s lacked that "feature" until around 2017).

How do I access the feature? I'll check. I think the last time I got a software update was for the parking brake recall. I'm pretty sure that was spring of 2016. Doesn't mean the dealer didn't re-flash me during an oil change without telling me but I think they haven't done anything but brakes, alignments, F&R diff service, and oil changes in the last 3 years.
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Pine View Post
Who else would you blame, except Subaru's OEM suppliers? The global GPS system is operating exactly as designed, and the Week Number rollover every 19 years is part of the original published GPS spec. If GPS receiver designers chose to ignore the rollover for programming convenience, that's on them.
AvidHiker likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
...Doesn't mean the dealer didn't re-flash me during an oil change without telling me but I think they haven't done anything but brakes, alignments, F&R diff service, and oil changes in the last 3 years.
Think it's very unlikely they would have updated the head unit unless you specifically requested it. When the mute button feature was added, dealers were apparently screwing up the firmware installation on a regular basis.

After setting a destination on the NAV, you should be able to find a mute button that will silence the turn-by-turn voice (don't recall where that button is exactly, but pretty sure it's not visible on the map screen). If not, you likely have the original firmware.
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
2015 Outback with a similar problem, though with the added feature that the poor clock can't decide what time it is and just keeps switching an hour back, then forward. At one point it did so about once per second, for several minutes. It finally decided to be an hour behind with just periodic, very short, returns to the correct time. It will be off to the dealer tomorrow.
My 2015 Outback was doing the same thing this morning. Please let us know what the dealer says.
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:20 PM

Car: 2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Pine View Post
If your clock is 'set' using your GPS/NAV system and it changes to a wrong time...

And the US GPS system has a major reset... That is known to affect OLDER GPS units...

May there is a 'fix' but don't be surprised if the GPS/NAV system time is wrong forever.
Wrong. There was no reset. There was a 10-bit counter overflow which has been known coming for 20 years when it occurred previously. So do you expect and accept your car to misbehave simply because the odometer rolled owner at 100,000 miles? Or 1,000,000? This too is a known future event.

My dash cam has the same problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: