Emergency brake in mountains - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If your moving and hold the electric parking brake button it engages at a lower tension than it does when stopped. Its a industry standard thing all electric parking brake cars have this reduced tension step to avoid causing total loss of control. And yeah it chirps and barks at you a bunch.

mdywv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 3.0 H6
I have lost brakes on a 2001 subaru completely. This was in 2005 with 50k miles on it. So don't try to say it will never happen. If it does and I lose control of the car and I'm still alive afterwards I will sue the crap out of Subaru. I don't see how this is safer. How did I lose the brakes? Well... a previous owner did not route the caliper hose thru the shock. The hose rubbed on the tire and cut the line. Luckily it happened in a residential area. What till it happens to you bud.

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Uhh, but it seems we've already established that it will also function as an e-brake, and I've yet to see any evidence that's it's any less safe or reliable than past designs. Nobody said brakes can't fail, simply that it's extremely rare, particularly when the system has been competently maintained. If you have such a grave concern about travelling in the mountains, I'd suggest having the brake system inspected by a trusted mechanic before your trip.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Does ABS function? I'm moving to summit county. I will always be in the mountains. What is the inspection going to do? You could have a seal blow on a caliper due to defect. There are a ton of ways to lose your brake. I'll find out from the dealer later.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Location: Sometimes in Colorado - Sometimes in Pennsylvania - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor
Car: 2017 Outback Limited -2.5 CVT ---- 'Gone' 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair - what's left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloyan View Post
I have lost brakes on a 2001 subaru completely. This was in 2005 with 50k miles on it. So don't try to say it will never happen. If it does and I lose control of the car and I'm still alive afterwards I will sue the crap out of Subaru. I don't see how this is safer. How did I lose the brakes? Well... a previous owner did not route the caliper hose thru the shock. The hose rubbed on the tire and cut the line. Luckily it happened in a residential area. What till it happens to you bud.
This wasn't a brake failure... Owner/Maintenance failure maybe.

There are all kinds of 'brake failure is imminent' warnings built into modern vehicles. Brakes rarely fail without some noise or other warning.

Why would the ABS system still work in a brake failure? It's part of the system.

"I'm moving to summit county".... I'd be more worried about some stoner not using/having brakes.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Car: 2019 Blue Outback in Premium trim
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
Losing he conventional braking system is so rare a thing that it's not worth worrying about. You probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning. Just maintain it well and be done with it.

Now, what you can worry about with these newfangled parking brakes: How do you ever pull manage to off this maneuver any more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlaQGCr0dfI
I know! This has really adversely affected my moonshine distribution business.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Lol. I talked to the dealership. ABS does kick in. Shouldn't be an issue. I still don't like it for fun reason but at least it is safe. So losing brakes are not a brake issue? Ok.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
are there still 2 circuits from the master cylinder? That is, if you lose a seal at a caliper, don't you still have (temporarily I guess) 1/2 braking ability from the other front and its diagonal rear pair?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloyan View Post

In Vermont, total brake loss on a 10+ year old car is pretty common. The flexible lines in the front rot and the metal brake lines eventually corrode and fail. Vermont vehicle inspection is pretty picky about making sure emergency brakes work since people actually have to use them.

I assume EyeSight is using the electronic rear brakes on hill descents and anti-collision braking? I never use the e-brake and I'd think it sees enough use from EyeSight that it will be there if I need it.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Lucky texan,

I didn't know that. I think what upsets me most with the new tech is that I lose control over things. I've never been a big fan of ABS, I'm still not but I've learned to live with it. I didn't have ABS in any car I drove until 2010. I can turn off all the other annoying features but ESC and the emergency brake. Although now that I know ABS will kick in and I can pull it off/on I would not hesitate to take the car down the mountain. I feel pretty safe now. Neither the release and go procedure nor the ABS feature are explained in the manual well. I'm glad I opened this thread. I def learned a lot. Thank you all again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: