Cruise control settings - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 24Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SW Virginia
Car: 2019 2.5i Premium
Posts: 86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cruise control settings

I have a 2019 2.5i Premium.

When I am driving with the cruise control set and want to increase the set speed, a press on the RES/+ button increases the speed by 5 mph. That's too much. I would like to increase only 1 mph. Is there any way to adjust that setting?

jthomas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Registered User
 
Zedhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Duluth,Mn.
Car: '17 3.6R Touring - 04 Foz XS- 01 OBW LL Bean- 00 OBW
Posts: 2,279
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's a 2 stage switch. A large press nets 5 mph increase. A light press nets 1 mph increase

ELCID86 likes this.

'17 3.6R Touring BBP
'04 Foz XS
'01 Bean Wagon
'00 OBW
Zedhead is online now  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:53 PM
Registered User
 
Mapdude55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
I have a 2019 2.5i Premium.

When I am driving with the cruise control set and want to increase the set speed, a press on the RES/+ button increases the speed by 5 mph. That's too much. I would like to increase only 1 mph. Is there any way to adjust that setting?

Quick press and release gets you 5mph increase or decrease. Press and hold, increase by 1 MPH +/-


Found that out on this board. Did not know it for 2 months I had the car.
lfdal, SubieGrl and ELCID86 like this.
Mapdude55 is online now  
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SW Virginia
Car: 2019 2.5i Premium
Posts: 86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
It's a 2 stage switch. A large press nets 5 mph increase. A light press nets 1 mph increase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapdude55 View Post
Quick press and release gets you 5mph increase or decrease. Press and hold, increase by 1 MPH +/-


Found that out on this board. Did not know it for 2 months I had the car.
These two responses appear to be in disagreement. Guess I'll have to try both, but my wife thinks the tech guy at the dealership said something about press and hold. Seems counterintuitive.

We've had ours for about two months but today is the first time I've driven it on an interstate highway.
jthomas is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:17 PM
Registered User
 
Grand Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: El Cajon, CA
Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Wilderness Green; 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
Posts: 190
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
These two responses appear to be in disagreement. Guess I'll have to try both, but my wife thinks the tech guy at the dealership said something about press and hold. Seems counterintuitive.

We've had ours for about two months but today is the first time I've driven it on an interstate highway.
The function of the cruise control switch changed between the 2016 and 2018 models. The 2016 behaves as Zedhead states and I assume that is also the case for the 2017. The 2018 and 2019 behave as Mapdud55 states. Having one of each is an exercise for my memory everytime I switch to driving my wife's 2018.

Page 82 of the EyeSight manual explains it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruise Control.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	449877  
jsgntulok and seagrass like this.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Grand Dad is online now  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Registered User
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Auburn WA
Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Posts: 949
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For the 2018/19, Mapdude55 is correct. A quick press is +/- 5 MPH, press and hold and you get the 1 MPH increments.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
atc98092 is online now  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:50 PM
Registered User
 
jdupton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Car: 2010 3.6R Ltd MR/Nav & 2019 3.6R Ltd Pkg24
Posts: 252
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One thing I discovered with my 2019 is that the +/-5 MPH quick press will only take you to the next multiple of 5 MPH, not always up or down by exactly 5 MPH.

If you have set the Cruise Control to 62 MPH, when you (short) press to increase, it goes up to 65 MPH rather than 67 MPH. If you were going 62 MPH and (short) press down, it only drops to 60 MPH. Only if you are already at a multiple of 5 MPH will the increase or decrease short press give you a 5 MPH increment.

The long press will always increase or decrease by 1 MPH. If you press and continue holding, the speed setting will increase or decrease by 1 MPH per second.


John
ELCID86 likes this.
jdupton is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 PM
Registered User
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Auburn WA
Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Posts: 949
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdupton View Post
One thing I discovered with my 2019 is that the +/-5 MPH quick press will only take you to the next multiple of 5 MPH, not always up or down by exactly 5 MPH.

If you have set the Cruise Control to 62 MPH, when you (short) press to increase, it goes up to 65 MPH rather than 67 MPH. If you were going 62 MPH and (short) press down, it only drops to 60 MPH. Only if you are already at a multiple of 5 MPH will the increase or decrease short press give you a 5 MPH increment.

The long press will always increase or decrease by 1 MPH. If you press and continue holding, the speed setting will increase or decrease by 1 MPH per second.


John
Yep, 2018 works that way as well. Since speed limits are always in increments of 5 MPH, it makes sense. In the US all speed limits end in a zero or a five.
rockyp likes this.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
atc98092 is online now  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:29 AM
Registered User
 
ammcinnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: metro Kansas City
Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Posts: 5,821
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
It's a 2 stage switch. A large press nets 5 mph increase. A light press nets 1 mph increase
That's only for MY 2015-2017.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ammcinnis is online now  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SW Virginia
Car: 2019 2.5i Premium
Posts: 86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Dad View Post
The function of the cruise control switch changed between the 2016 and 2018 models. The 2016 behaves as Zedhead states and I assume that is also the case for the 2017. The 2018 and 2019 behave as Mapdud55 states. Having one of each is an exercise for my memory everytime I switch to driving my wife's 2018.

Page 82 of the EyeSight manual explains it.
Thanks. Actually it's on p. 48 in the 2019 Eyesight manual.

That just seems backwards to me. If I'm cruising at the speed limit of 70 on the interstate and find I'm passing a car in the right lane very slowly I want to speed up by one or two mph to get around him, not 5mph. A couple of clicks does it on my Tahoe, but not on the Subaru.

DoctorB likes this.
jthomas is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise Control Issues BISCUT Gen 5: 2015-2019 7 05-24-2017 11:18 AM
Cruise Control Problems Flyboy_2404 Problems & Maintenance 24 02-06-2017 01:01 AM
2000 Outback Wagon - Cruise Control not working Kitesurf Problems & Maintenance 17 08-01-2014 05:54 PM
Intermittent Cruise Control after code 420 repair imaric Gen 3: 2005-2009 3 04-11-2012 09:17 PM
Engine light on + Cruise control flashing after service / cam belt change swedenuk Problems & Maintenance 9 02-19-2012 10:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome