Could Factory Battery Die Before 1 Year?!? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Danver
  • 1 Post By bheinen74

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could Factory Battery Die Before 1 Year?!?

I noticed the other night after work my 2018 Outback seemed to hesitate when starting up. And then yesterday, the power lift gate wouldn’t open with the fob, button on the dash or with the button on the hatch. It would only beep three times. This morning I climbed into the rear from the backseats and used the method from the owners manual to open the lift gate. I was able to open and close it manually and now I there is no response from the fob, dash or tailgate when I tried to open it again. No beeps or anything. I am able to use fob to open/close doors. Do you think the battery is already dying? After less than a year of ownership?

I read some of the other posts about battery and the quirky things the car does after being jump started. I didn’t leave any lights on or anything else to drain the battery before this incident occurred.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:52 PM

Car: 2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
Anything is possible. You should pay a visit to your dealer's service center. Could have a dome light turned on that you haven't noticed. Or the battery could be failing. Its popular to blame the battery without evidence. But if you run out of gas is it the gas tank's fault for not holding more than 18 gallons?

Electronics are most likely to fail quickly, or after years of use. The middle time is most reliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:05 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
The factory battery was already a failure before the car arrived new at the dealer. Best option is to just spend a hundred bucks or so and upgrade to a better and higher capacity battery. Even if the battery tests bad at the dealer they are likely just going to give you another weak battery to replace it.
bheinen74 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:27 PM

Car: 2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
Once I visited a dealership to look at a new car, the one that I wanted to test drive was not that common and was parked in the back-lot. It wouldn't start, so they got out a jump-box to start a new car.

I did not buy that car but you can bet that whomever did get that car probably had to replace the battery much earlier than they had planned.

Cars just sitting, for weeks or months, will have dead batteries. You don't know how long your car sat at the dealership before you bought it.

Greetings from the leading factory authorized interocitor service center of the Milky Way galaxy for the last three millennia. If you are in the Orion arm stop by to see the latest models. Now with interdimensional mutate capabilities!

Sol system, third primary planet. (Excuse our mess! Just ignore the bipedal life forms, their extinction is under way).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:02 PM

Car: 2018 Legacy 36R
What have you done to check the charging system? Battery could be bad but most likely it isn't being properly charged or there is a parasitic drain. Take it back to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty.

tom

'18 Legacy 36R
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:58 PM

Car: 85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
Buy a new battery of upgraded CCA at a farm and home store on a Saturday or Sunday at night.
Then take your battery receipt to your dealer on the following Monday, and they will have Subaru of America send you the check to reimburse since it is a warranty issue and their service was closed the night your battery took a dump......

I would look for a higher group battery and look for CCA that is double the factory spec.....
SuperRu likes this.

85BRAT 97SVX, 2x91 Honda CRX, 91 RT4wd
03Baja
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insights. I’ll give my service advisor a call tomorrow to see when I can take it in.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:44 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarubie View Post
And then yesterday, the power lift gate wouldn’t open with the fob, button on the dash or with the button on the hatch. It would only beep three times. This morning I climbed into the rear from the backseats and used the method from the owners manual to open the lift gate. I was able to open and close it manually and now I there is no response from the fob, dash or tailgate when I tried to open it again. No beeps or anything. I am able to use fob to open/close doors.

What's your logic where you conclude that this could possibly be the battery?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 PM

Car: 2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishers View Post
Once I visited a dealership to look at a new car, the one that I wanted to test drive was not that common and was parked in the back-lot. It wouldn't start, so they got out a jump-box to start a new car.
BTDT. Had one running up front but the ones optioned of interest to me were way in the back and covered with 6 months of pollen and gravel dust. With dead batteries. Couldn't drive.

Returned to salesman's office and made cash offer of abut 80% of sticker price. "Oh! Must talk to sales manager! Be right back!" Half hour later I woke from my nap (countering the hard sell technique of make customer wait in seclusion so imagination and desire can run wild). "I have this fantastic offer for you! Today only! Payments of only $ and only $$ down payment!"

I'm an engineer and do math in my head. I put on an act of "thinking about it" when I was really trying to figure out interest rate on ridiculous offer. I had offered $10,000 on a $12,000 sticker for a slow seller. The salesman's offer was for $17,500 in payments. MSRP plus financing at 17% or so, when from the start I said, "cash".

I smiled and said, "You want to get the sales manager!" His mistake was he took me to the sales manager in the front lobby with 2 other customers standing close. I spoke loud enough to hear the echo.

Needless to say I didn't buy and have never been back?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 PM

Car: 2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
I love it!

I may be blonde but some of the prettiest fishes in the ocean are the most venomous.

Greetings from the leading factory authorized interocitor service center of the Milky Way galaxy for the last three millennia. If you are in the Orion arm stop by to see the latest models. Now with interdimensional mutate capabilities!

Sol system, third primary planet. (Excuse our mess! Just ignore the bipedal life forms, their extinction is under way).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: