Adaptive Cruise Control - brakes or throttle? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Car: 19 Outback 3.6r Touring, 12 Forester X, 09 G8 GXP, 08 BMW 535xi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick View Post
I find it annoying, you speed up to pass someone on a 2 lane and in all previous vehicles I have owned you let off the pedal and let the car coast back to the cruise set speed.
Not the outback, it will apply the brakes to get you back to set speed quicker - making you look like a tool for passing someone and then hitting the brakes.

I turn off the cruise before passing now.
That’s because you speed to pass them and then go back to your speed...
Illegal to exceed the speed limit, even to pass.... (yes annoying, still illegal and yes we all do it)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
That’s because you speed to pass them and then go back to your speed...
Illegal to exceed the speed limit, even to pass.... (yes annoying, still illegal and yes we all do it)
I'm not sure what illegal has to do with it, the ACC is just slowing down to the speed selected. Are you saying it knows the speed limit and only uses brakes if you are above it?

I have not noticed that it's using braking to get back to the selected speed. I will check that out going home tonight.

Beary

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Car: 19 Outback 3.6r Touring, 12 Forester X, 09 G8 GXP, 08 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary View Post
I'm not sure what illegal has to do with it, the ACC is just slowing down to the speed selected. Are you saying it knows the speed limit and only uses brakes if you are above it?

I have not noticed that it's using braking to get back to the selected speed. I will check that out going home tonight.

Beary
It knows the speed you have it set at... so when you go above that to pass, depending what you got up to it will brake to get back to what you set it at. If you just come up on someone say going 40 in a 60... You signal, go around, and go back, the brakes will not be applied.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:35 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
It depends how fast you go above the cruise setting if brakes are applied I have noticed.
rockyp and ammcinnis like this.

2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
- Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
- Ivory Leather - 8" Navigation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
... it will apply the brakes to get you back to set speed quicker - making you look like a tool for passing someone and then hitting the brakes.
Don't blame the vehicle for trying to do do exactly what you tell it. If you want to avoid CC braking in such a situation, just feather the throttle to decelerate, rather than lifting your foot completely, until your speed is within about 5-8 mph of the set point.

Quote:
That's another good solution.
SmokeyBear and atc98092 like this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2019 2.5i Premium
Quote:
I find it annoying, you speed up to pass someone on a 2 lane and in all previous vehicles I have owned you let off the pedal and let the car coast back to the cruise set speed.
Not the outback, it will apply the brakes to get you back to set speed quicker - making you look like a tool for passing someone and then hitting the brakes.

I haven't had this car long enough to discover that. Glad I learned about it before experiencing it.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
It can also "downshift" the CVT to apply some engine braking. Generally does this for holding speed going downhill.

Also, if it applies the brakes at a "moderate" or greater level, the brake lights come on. So it provides warning to someone following.
I actually noticed this today. I was going down a hill on the freeway and while other cars had their brakes on the whole way down, my car was maintaining speed without using the brakes. I couldn't feel the downshift either since it's CVT. It was kind of cool, but at the same time I felt it might be a little dangerous for the car behind me as the driver wouldn't really have an indication that I was slowing down.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:15 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I actually noticed this today. I was going down a hill on the freeway and while other cars had their brakes on the whole way down, my car was maintaining speed without using the brakes. I couldn't feel the downshift either since it's CVT. It was kind of cool, but at the same time I felt it might be a little dangerous for the car behind me as the driver wouldn't really have an indication that I was slowing down.
If it slows quickly enough to be an issue for someone behind you (assuming they aren't tailgating) the brake lights come on. The dash display shows when the lights come on, even when you press the brake pedal yourself.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
Quote:
Fingers crossed they are driving with their eyes open

2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
- Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
- Ivory Leather - 8" Navigation

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It was kind of cool, but at the same time I felt it might be a little dangerous for the car behind me as the driver wouldn't really have an indication that I was slowing down.
The car shouldn't be driving up on you because the engine braking isn't slowing you down, it's maintaining the same speed.

Where I get a little nervous is when the ACC reacts a little slower than I would in traffic requiring it use the brakes pretty hard. I can see the traffic slowing down several cars ahead while the ACC is reacting to the one car in front. I tend to turn off the cruise in this situation even though I have full confidence the system will function correctly. I'm just less jerky about it.

Beary

KSKarl likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: