Adaptive Cruise Control - brakes or throttle? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2019 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adaptive Cruise Control - brakes or throttle?

An acquaintance on another forum drives a '16 Outback in England. He says the adaptive Cruise Control always uses braking to slow the vehicle when there is a slower vehicle in front. I have minimal experience with this so far, but I assumed it just reduced the throttle setting.

Which is correct - brakes or throttle? Or both?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Car: 16 Outback 3.6R
Both. It'll come to a complete stop if necessary.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Both. Throttle reduction first, followed by service brakes as needed. You can observe brake application on the car symbol in the Multi-Function Display.
OBnube likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darter View Post
Both. It'll come to a complete stop if necessary.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
Both. Throttle reduction first, followed by service brakes as needed. You can observe brake application on the car symbol in the Multi-Function Display.
Thanks. I'll try to remember to look for the indicators next time.

My friend in England seems to think that it uses only brakes, but apparently he has quite a lot of traffic to contend with, with other drivers cutting in. That would require brakes.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
It can also "downshift" the CVT to apply some engine braking. Generally does this for holding speed going downhill.

Also, if it applies the brakes at a "moderate" or greater level, the brake lights come on. So it provides warning to someone following.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
It can also "downshift" the CVT to apply some engine braking. Generally does this for holding speed going downhill.
I noticed that. First car I've ever had on which the CC will hold speed going downhill.
theoak likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post

Also, if it applies the brakes at a "moderate" or greater level, the brake lights come on. So it provides warning to someone following.

Mine doesn't do much in the way of engine braking when I'm mountain driving. I have to use the faux gear select on the CVT with EyeSight disabled to engine brake. My Vermont place is in the land of revenue-generating speed traps. It would be very nice if I could use EyeSight to hold speed but it would chew through my brakes quickly.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have to use the faux gear select on the CVT with EyeSight disabled to engine brake.
I think you mean "ACC" rather than "EyeSight." ACC is just one function provided by the EyeSight system.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Mine doesn't do much in the way of engine braking when I'm mountain driving.
True, gas powered engines don't offer as much engine braking as a diesel with an exhaust brake. But every little bit helps. I'm sure they don't let the RPM climb too high. Mine seems to settle about 2500 max.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ES
I find it annoying, you speed up to pass someone on a 2 lane and in all previous vehicles I have owned you let off the pedal and let the car coast back to the cruise set speed.
Not the outback, it will apply the brakes to get you back to set speed quicker - making you look like a tool for passing someone and then hitting the brakes.

I turn off the cruise before passing now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: