2018 Dash Cam Install - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2018 Dash Cam Install

Anyone done a dash cam install on a 2018 with eye sight?

ELCID86 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:31 PM

I believe there are many threads on dash cams in the Gen 5. I have a Blackvue DR900S dual camera on my 2018. The front camera is directly under the rear view mirror with no impact to the Eyesight system. I like the 900 as it is completely hidden from my view by the mirror and offered more options than I need. Is there a specific question you have on the install?

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM

I was just thinking the same thing since I have one in my Legacy. Gotta do some forum searching now
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:38 AM

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for a couple years now. It's snugged up against the Eyesight pod on the driver's side with small velcro pads. Looks like it's part of the Eyesight from the outside. Ran the power cord through the headliner trim, down the A-pillar and plugged into the fuse box. No Eyesight issues, very good clarity.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Outback View Post
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for a couple years now. It's snugged up against the Eyesight pod on the driver's side with small velcro pads. Looks like it's part of the Eyesight from the outside. Ran the power cord through the headliner trim, down the A-pillar and plugged into the fuse box. No Eyesight issues, very good clarity.
Just curious, did you remove the A-pillar trim and run the wire under the side curtain airbag? Mine currently crosses over the airbag at the top of the A-pillar trim and I have been waiting for a nice day to go out and change the routing. Mine is mounted next to the passenger side of the Eysight pod and runs down that side A-pillar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:02 AM

No, just tucked it in under the edge of the trim. I'll have to check if I went on the windshield side or window side of the trim. I figure (based on the unfortunate use of the airbag in my 2015 Crosstrek) that the cable will be released regardless of whether it's in front or behind the bag and won't interfere with the deployment.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
No, just tucked it in under the edge of the trim. I'll have to check if I went on the windshield side or window side of the trim. I figure (based on the unfortunate use of the airbag in my 2015 Crosstrek) that the cable will be released regardless of whether it's in front or behind the bag and won't interfere with the deployment.
I tend to agree that it wouldn't interfere, but then again I would hate to put somebody's life on the line because I was wrong. I seldom have anybody in the passenger seat anyway but I will probably run the wire behind the bag when I get a chance just to be safe. Kind of the same category as people mounting things in the restricted areas for Eyesight and determining that it doesn't interfere with the Eyesight system just because they don't get any warnings. I spend a lot of time outside of the rules, but when it comes to safety items I hate to take unnecessary risks.
ammcinnis likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:59 AM

Absolutely. I just checked and I did run it on the front of the A-pillar trim, next to the windshield. If the airbag deploys it'll leave the wire behind. I feel better already!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. I just checked and I did run it on the front of the A-pillar trim, next to the windshield. If the airbag deploys it'll leave the wire behind. I feel better already!
That should work as well. How did you run it at the bottom? I didn't see an easy way to hide it to get it under the dash. Mine is on the passenger side so maybe it is different. I still have the problem of running the wire to the back for the rear camera so I will probably keep my same plan of running them under the curtain bag at the top of the A-pillar.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
That should work as well. How did you run it at the bottom? I didn't see an easy way to hide it to get it under the dash. Mine is on the passenger side so maybe it is different. I still have the problem of running the wire to the back for the rear camera so I will probably keep my same plan of running them under the curtain bag at the top of the A-pillar.
Well, this subject coming up got me inspired to just fix it. I've been waiting for a warmer day but 35F and drizzly was just going to have to be good enough. It took all of about 10 seconds to pop the A-pillar trim off. Another 5 to 10 minutes of re-routing wires and taking pictures and it is all done and back together.

This was where the wires originally had ended up when I just tucked them in under the A-pillar trim without removing it. You can see they run over the side curtain airbag. It could be argued that they wouldn't interfere with deployment, but it could also be argued that they might.

This pic shows where I had the gps antenna for the dash cam with the wire laying across the dash. I had three wires to work with including the front and rear cameras and the gps antenna.

After pic with the two camera wires now running behind the side curtain airbag and the gps antenna wire running along the existing car wiring harness down the A-pillar.

I turned the gps antenna 180 degrees and now the wire is completely hidden.

Accidentally clicked this picture but the strange angle shows how my front camera is located next to and slightly behind the Eyesight camera. The location works well but it might be a little annoying for someone riding in the passenger seat.

This is on my 2017 but should be pretty much identical to the 2018 and other Gen 5 Outbacks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0788.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	632.7 KB
ID:	450187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0791.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	450189   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0794.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	573.7 KB
ID:	450191   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0798.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	450193   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0790.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	598.6 KB
ID:	450195  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: