My 2018 Crash Experience - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:05 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not too hard to estimate your average velocity before the crash if you examine how fast the centerline dashes are going by. Federal guidelines say they should be 10 feet on the dash length / 30 feet on the dash gap / 40 feet total.

I counted 27 dashes in 15.5 seconds from your dashcam timer displayed on the upper left of the screen, which works out to about 47.5 MPH.

Much more difficult to apply this method to the other driver.

Glad you are OK, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 PM

Car: '19 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
Speaking with the driver after the accident, he had no idea he was going the wrong way even after the impact. He legitimately thought he was on the correct side of the road until I spoke with him after I got out of the car.
Did the other driver have an English or Australian accent? Where did he think he was with the center divider on the Right side if his vehicle instead of the Left?

Subie's save lives! Good luck with repairs or replacement.

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Car: '18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
Holy crap!

That could have been one very tragic ending. Glad you both were able to 'walk away'.

What was/were WSP's comments? I'm still somewhat familiar with that intersection(s), and I can't see how 'he' got in the wrong lanes.

Bill
borislanger likes this.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Car: 2019 Ascent Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
Speaking with the driver after the accident, he had no idea he was going the wrong way even after the impact. He legitimately thought he was on the correct side of the road until I spoke with him after I got out of the car.

Unfortunately, my dash cam is a pretty cheap model so doesn't have GPS built in. I anticipate I was going 50 when I saw him, and probably got it down to 20 for the impact. No idea on the other car's speed.
I have lived in Everett for quite some time. And commute that way. And I have an idea how the other driver legitimately didn't know he was going the wrong way. But then again my parents also taught me, that if I didn't have anything nice to say. Don't say anything at all.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:39 PM

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
Nice to hear everyone walked away. I don't know the intersection/road, but it isn't that hard - in the US you keep the yellow lines to your left! If the driver couldn't see the yellow line was on the wrong side, I can only imagine what they were doing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
I fixed it so the video should hot link.

and then after it, @Brucey 's 5 things I hate about you comes up on my screen.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
It's just a car. I'm glad you both walked away!
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
I think I saw an Uber decal. Maybe they were following their Uber navigation and both got confused.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Car: 19 Outback 3.6R / 18 Outback 3.6R - dead / 05 Legacy GT Schportwagen
He said he just didn't see any "wrong way" signs as he was turning onto that part of the road, so I think he just made a wide swing and wasn't paying attention until it was too late. He was an Uber driver, but wasn't picking anyone up at the time.

The Outback is still sitting at the repair facility waiting on a formal estimate. Their eyeballing had it around $10k and a month to get it back. Ughhhhh
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE507 View Post
Holy crap!

That could have been one very tragic ending. Glad you both were able to 'walk away'.

What was/were WSP's comments? I'm still somewhat familiar with that intersection(s), and I can't see how 'he' got in the wrong lanes.

Bill
Uber driver based on the window gps tracker. I have seen several if these Lyft and Uber drivers miss turns because they are too busy monitoring their phone app. He had no idea because he was looking at his ride app while going through that large intersection.

I make it a habit to sit in the front with the Lyft or Uber driver. I found that they don’t get distracted by their app when I’m up front invading their space. Plus if needed I can make driving corrections lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: