When I plug my phone into my 2018 OB, does it use the car's antenna? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By skipw
  • 3 Post By AvidHiker
  • 2 Post By dbpaddler

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 OB Premium with Eyesight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When I plug my phone into my 2018 OB, does it use the car's antenna?

I'm wondering if I can expect any better phone reception when it's plugged into the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 PM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
No.

ammcinnis and jakemccoy like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 PM

Car: 2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugsoul View Post
I'm wondering if I can expect any better phone reception when it's plugged into the car.
Don’t expect that: I’d be surprised if any phone used a power cable/USB cable as an antenna on purpose, and USB was never meant for that.

In fact, a USB cable working as an antenna is counterproductive for use as a data transmission cable.

If you somehow get better reception on your phone while it’s in the car, the only reasonable reason is you got lucky with the car around it acting to some degree as a waveguide, but I’ve not seen that happen with iPhones, and doubt it’d happen with any phone.

2018 Outback 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
past: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE, Blue
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:53 PM

Car: '19 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueSubaru View Post
Donít expect that: Iíd be surprised if any phone used a power cable/USB cable as an antenna on purpose, and USB was never meant for that.

In fact, a USB cable working as an antenna is counterproductive for use as a data transmission cable.

If you somehow get better reception on your phone while itís in the car, the only reasonable reason is you got lucky with the car around it acting to some degree as a waveguide, but Iíve not seen that happen with iPhones, and doubt itíd happen with any phone.
On the first gen iPhone a lot of people claimed they had better signal if they plugged in their power cord, it never worked for me . . .

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Some older cars, mostly German I believe but could be mistaken, had a cell phone built into the car. When the phone was connected the phone's SIM card was electronically transferred to the car's phone, which did use an external mounted antenna. But that was years ago, and required a special connection between the phone and car. This was before Bluetooth and USB ports in cars. And of course, not all types of cell phones use SIM cards. GSM phones do, but there are many phones that don't.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 2.5i, and soon 2019 Ascent Touring
Garage
The antenna on the top of the car helps boost the signal out of the interior of your car to the outside. On newer vehicles it looks like a shark fin.

Connecting your phone to power only provides more power to the phone. Now if your phone reacts to the extra power by boosting the transmit power, I donít know.

But my understanding is that all the phones inside the car would benefit a little from the extra antenna you see on top of the car.

Iím searching for definitive info on how it works... but basically, there is an antenna in the car that helps get signals in and out of the car via the one you see on top of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
Purchased June 2018
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:53 AM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
Garage
If you need better cell reception, look into a phone amplifier. https://www.weboost.com/

Kick the tires and light the fires!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjbur View Post
The antenna on the top of the car helps boost the signal out of the interior of your car to the outside. On newer vehicles it looks like a shark fin...
I've never heard such a claim. Do you have a reference?
jdupton, ammcinnis and skipw like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 AM

Car: 17' Outback Touring 3.6R
There is zero connection with any antenna on a car and cell phone reception. This isn't the old days of bag phones and such where you got a certain wattage on the phone itself and a wattage boost when the phone was plugged in. There were phones that had a physical antenna connector that could be attached to an external car antenna, but those days are long gone. Any modern claims of any sort of boost are anecdotal.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
ammcinnis and skipw like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: