Subaru crash advertising on TV - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
The ones where they let families of dogs drive around unsupervised might be sending the wrong message as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dug View Post
Yep, safe enough to let your dog be your chauffeur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by provels View Post
Or a duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaruOB View Post
Given the skill level and attention span of some DOGS I've encountered over the years, the HUMAN DRIVERS are OK.
Pets controlling / driving your car? Nah.

Brucey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:35 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
Pets controlling / driving your car? Nah.
Reminds me of WW-II, when renowned behavioral research psychologist B.F. Skinner demonstrated that pigeons could be trained to "fly" (i.e. keep upright and navigate) Link trainers, and presumably real airplanes and cruise missiles, as well or better than human pilots. The Generals were not receptive.

Brucey likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:12 AM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Autonomous cars can't get here soon enough.

The upsides far outweigh the Luddite's paranoid delusions that they can out perform a computer..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
The big crunch (pun intended) will come during the decade-or-so transition period, when there is a variable mix of rule-observant autonomous vehicles and anarchic human drivers sharing the road.
My problem with autonomous vehicles isn't fear that the technology won't be good enough or that it will be dangerous. I just don't want to lose my freedom to drive, and autonomous vehicles will be the starting point to taking that away, one way or the other. There will be a transition, but eventually new vehicles won't even have human-interface mechanical controls. And even if humans actually driving isn't made illegal, I think it will become viewed as something so dangerous that the liability insurance costs of choosing to manually drive will price most people out of the option.

Autonomous cars will arrive in my lifetime, but hopefully the resulting consequences will be delayed just enough until I am too old to remember what I will be missing out on.
Zedhead likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:04 AM
ghp

Car: 2010/2016 outback
Every car manufacture has it's strong points. Subaru has always focused on safety. From eyesight to the new SGP frame. Everybody has gone to modular platforms but Subaru put some extra thought into theirs. Very strong and robust enough so it can meet safety standards into the future. I think 2026? Now lets focus on some better engine and transmission options and I will be completly satisfied. They seem obsessed with the infotainment thing now and while I like the upgrade in 17 with Impreza, new Forester, and Ascent(8inch) I think the 2020 Outback is trying to hard. Put a base engine in it with some guts. 7 more HP and the same TQ is lame IMO.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
All good stuff but when the conversation turns to completely autonomous automobiles suddenly the thought of not having a person at the wheel becomes scary as if human error and inattentiveness never existed in the first place. Humans just seem to be a tough crowd to please.

Maybe that's because some of us that have worked as techs know how cheap most vehicle owners are. You're crazy if you think poorly maintained self driving cars are a good thing.
russellpat likes this.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:17 AM

Car: 2010 Outback Limited 183k!
I wrote a paper on Subaru advertising for a grad school class - their advertising reflects our own situation well, going from newly married to having kids, to now having future drivers - and the safety features are absolutely a strong sell to us. For instance, we realize our next car will be the one our kids learn to drive on, so instead of figuring out how rear facing carseats fit (I don't miss the days of two full size car seats in my husband's old RS!) we are considering the safety features for new drivers. Similarly, my parents are late 60s/early 70s and when they bought their new outback, they made sure to get Eyesight and other features (an 18 Limited, so I think it was still optional there.) It's not fully outsourcing responsibility of the driver, but react times go down with aging and having an assist is worth the money. I'd like to see the next ad feature boomers like my parents maintaining their driving independence more confidently with safety systems like eyesight. (And my folks are in great physical and mental health - currently on a month long golfing road trip in the southeast with that outback.)
majpooper likes this.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 AM

Car: 2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
Quote:
The big crunch (pun intended) will come during the decade-or-so transition period, when there is a variable mix of rule-observant autonomous vehicles and anarchic human drivers sharing the road.

On the upside, we can still curse at and flip the bird to robo-cars!
Zedhead likes this.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappity View Post
I wrote a paper on Subaru advertising for a grad school class - their advertising reflects our own situation well, going from newly married to having kids, to now having future drivers - and the safety features are absolutely a strong sell to us. For instance, we realize our next car will be the one our kids learn to drive on, so instead of figuring out how rear facing carseats fit (I don't miss the days of two full size car seats in my husband's old RS!) we are considering the safety features for new drivers. Similarly, my parents are late 60s/early 70s and when they bought their new outback, they made sure to get Eyesight and other features (an 18 Limited, so I think it was still optional there.) It's not fully outsourcing responsibility of the driver, but react times go down with aging and having an assist is worth the money. I'd like to see the next ad feature boomers like my parents maintaining their driving independence more confidently with safety systems like eyesight. (And my folks are in great physical and mental health - currently on a month long golfing road trip in the southeast with that outback.)
We are in our 70s. One reason we bought our 2017 OB limited with eyesight was the technology and safety features. I will be considering a 2020 touring XT because of the newer safety features including a front camera, lane centering and driver's focus.
Brucey and majpooper like this.

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 21,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
On the upside, we can still curse at and flip the bird to robo-cars!
I'm confident that the automotive aftermarket will automate that for you, too. Check J.C. Whitney's web site in a few years.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:46 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Check J.C. Whitney's web site in a few years.
I got those catalogs for years. Miss them sometimes as comical reading material. The stuffed animal for the rear window with lights for eyes that connect to the brake lights.

But I also ordered parts from them at times. Of course with the Internet there are so many more options for parts now.

BillE507 likes this.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: