Subaru crash advertising on TV - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Miss them sometimes as comical reading material.
Yep. Their ad copy for superficial "bling" accessories was sometimes over the top ... bulldust hyperbole raised to the level of fine art.

Quote:
But I also ordered parts from them at times.
They listed some things in their catalogs that were hard to find anywhere else. As recently as the 1980s they were still selling body panels and mechanical parts for Model T and Model A Fords.

BillE507 likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:50 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
My problem with autonomous vehicles isn't fear that the technology won't be good enough or that it will be dangerous. I just don't want to lose my freedom to drive, and autonomous vehicles will be the starting point to taking that away, one way or the other. There will be a transition, but eventually new vehicles won't even have human-interface mechanical controls. And even if humans actually driving isn't made illegal, I think it will become viewed as something so dangerous that the liability insurance costs of choosing to manually drive will price most people out of the option.

Autonomous cars will arrive in my lifetime, but hopefully the resulting consequences will be delayed just enough until I am too old to remember what I will be missing out on.
On the other hand, the entitled baby boomer generation - of which I am squarely in the middle - will be the first generation to never have to give up personal automobiles for their transportation needs.

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:06 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 3.6R Limited
Garage
Man people love to complain. Don't like the "They lived" commercials. Well you're due your dislikes and I will respect that. Me... I am one of those commercials. Sitting in my Outback with my wife at a stoplight and here comes a Ford F-250 not even slowing. I had time to yell Sit back!" to my wife then slammmm! Didn't even slow down. Blew out the entire back half of the car. Luckily my kids were not in there! When they hit us it surprised them because they must've hit the pedal thinking it was the brake because they slammed us again. We were pushed into the car in front of us and ended up totaling their Volkswagen. When all settled my wife and I got out of the car. The people in the Volkswagen, they didn't. They ended up getting taken to the emergency room from their injuries (They weren't faking because i helped the driver who started vomiting)

Kicker... when the police and the tow truck company arrived, they both said to us "They lived, now I get it". Commercials hit home sometimes and become a staple of things. I attribute a lot of the walking away with minor issues to everything from the car build to the way it reacted in the accident to the support of the seating. Me, I dig the commercials because it's more than just me or my kids hitting someone and think that it brought a lot of light on the safety of the brand.
snappity, johnre, Rogier and 1 others like this.

- Brett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The family that skis together stays together!"
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:33 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettcr View Post
Me... I am one of those commercials.
I likewise have a story to tell. I was hit from behind at perhaps 50 MPH by a 4,000 lb. Jeep Cherokee while stopped at a stoplight in my fisrt OB, a 2005 Gen 3. My car jumped forward 70 feet, and both the driver and passenger seat backs broke - that's how hard we were hit. But I got out and walked away; my passenger likewise, although he had a few facial cuts from glass flying forward from the shattered rear window.

More details of damage here:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post3633682

Another driver who saw it all and stopped to help had a similar reaction like that of the police with the previous poster - and in fact he explained that he had a teenager starting to drive, he was starting to look for an extra car in the family, and he would be heavily influenced by what he had just witnessed.
Brucey likes this.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:44 AM

Car: '17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
I dunno about you guize, but I'll be the one out there in their stinky old manual transmission truck messing around with the automated cars. It's gonna be a blast!

'17 3.6R Touring BBP
'04 Foz XS
'01 Bean Wagon
'00 OBW
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:47 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R LTD w/Tech
I spent 15+ years driving Saabs and the #1 reason I always gave for "why do I drive them" was safety. I can't remember the number of stories I have heard of how a Saab saved someone's life ... and keep in mind, this was before all the current tech (Saab died in 2011).

I have to admit that when I started looking at Subaru again (I was trying to buy an Outback when I first got into Saab), I completely forgot about their safety ratings.

In my 35 years of driving, I have been involved in 2 accidents; the first I was rear ended and the Saab totaled (I had a trailer on the back) and the second was a minor accident where I rear ended another car in slippery conditions (almost made it to a stop). But I am glad that I am again in one of the safest cars out there!!!
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I got those catalogs for years. Miss them sometimes as comical reading material. The stuffed animal for the rear window with lights for eyes that connect to the brake lights.

But I also ordered parts from them at times. Of course with the Internet there are so many more options for parts now.
and if you bought everything that promised a 10% horsepower gain along with 10% better MPG, we would all have 1000 HP cars getting a 1000 MPG.....
ammcinnis, atc98092 and BillE507 like this.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScott13 View Post
I spent 15+ years driving Saabs and the #1 reason I always gave for "why do I drive them" was safety. I can't remember the number of stories I have heard of how a Saab saved someone's life ... and keep in mind, this was before all the current tech (Saab died in 2011).

I have to admit that when I started looking at Subaru again (I was trying to buy an Outback when I first got into Saab), I completely forgot about their safety ratings.

In my 35 years of driving, I have been involved in 2 accidents; the first I was rear ended and the Saab totaled (I had a trailer on the back) and the second was a minor accident where I rear ended another car in slippery conditions (almost made it to a stop). But I am glad that I am again in one of the safest cars out there!!!
I used to work with a guy that only drove Saab's. When I asked about his love for them, his answer was because he only lived 2 miles from a Saab mechanic.
Brucey likes this.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:40 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R LTD w/Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dug View Post
I used to work with a guy that only drove Saab's. When I asked about his love for them, his answer was because he only lived 2 miles from a Saab mechanic.
I knew a lot of people who had problems with their Saabs ... but I blame that more on the previous owners who didn't take care of them properly.

None of mine ever gave me any trouble and I was never gentle to them and drove them a lot ... but I did maintain them.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dug View Post
and if you bought everything that promised a 10% horsepower gain along with 10% better MPG, we would all have 1000 HP cars getting a 1000 MPG.....
There were occasional problem reports that the fuel economy improved so spectacularly that the fuel tank would overflow after less than a hundred miles of driving.

atc98092 likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: