Subaru crash advertising on TV - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Car: Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have no issue with Subaru, or any car manufacturer citing the crash survivability of their vehicle; it is definitely a factor to consider when looking to buy a car.

WRT non-human drivers...

Animals: Nope!
Computers: Well, let me say this... "Boeing 737 MAX". Mistakes will be made in the programming, people will be hurt. The same humans whose driving skills we have no faith in are the same species as those programming the computers. Humans are fallible in whatever they do.

As for a good driver being better because of Eyesight. Perhaps in some situation that I haven't encountered yet; but my experience so far has been annoyance over distracting warnings about crossing lane markings while I'm purposely avoiding ostacles, or the car ahead has moved - but the light is now red. I really like the adaptive cruise control, but still keep my feet near the pedals, ready to take over control, not out the window.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronter View Post
Computers: Well, let me say this... "Boeing 737 MAX". Mistakes will be made in the programming, people will be hurt. The same humans whose driving skills we have no faith in are the same species as those programming the computers. Humans are fallible in whatever they do.
The metric for whether computers or humans do better is only about the overall safety records of each - not individual anecdotes of spectacularly stupid accidents.

Yes, computers will still do stupid things. And then, once this is examined, their code will be fixed to make them better. If they are like the airline industry, discoveries will have to be shared with everyone. All this at the same time that the average human driver skill set may be becoming atrophied.

Insurance companies will only look at this bottom line. And this is the way it probably should be.

Rogier and ammcinnis like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: