Reluctantly purchasing Ď19 vs Ď20...Questions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reluctantly purchasing Ď19 vs Ď20...Questions

Decided to go with a 2019 versus 2020 Outback since I do not like the auto stop/start option, etc...
Live in SE PA.

QUESTIONS
* Are problems still occurring with the 2019 head unit?
* What would be a reasonable trade in dealership offer for my 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium, excellent condition with factory trailer hitch, compass mirror, splash guards, rear bumper protector, 48,000 miles?

*Doing some Internet price shopping...so far here is the best price for:
Factory order
2019 2.5i Subaru Outback Premium
Option package 13: blind spot detection, rear cross traffic alert & power rear gate
Rear bumper cover
Splash guards
Trailer hitch
MSRP $31,373
$25,134.00, cash price, plus tax & tags
* Should I pull the trigger on this deal or try to eek out a little more discount from the dealer? (Donít want to insult them!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 PM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
Is there a particular reason you're looking at trading it in? At least the head units are known to (mostly) work correctly in the '15s.

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:04 AM

Car: '19 Outback Touring 3.6R
Why trade in a barely broken in 2015 if you're not going to upgrade to a 3.6R?!?
rockyp, BOXR 6 and provels like this.

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 AM

Why are you so concerned about price when your replacing a nearly new vehicle? Thatís essentially Identical to the new one your buying?

I never understood why people buy new cars when its the same **** car that was sold 5 yrs ago? Or in Toyota and Fords case 10yrs ago lol.

I like vehicles as much as the next guy heck I even have the cash to pay for a new one, but I donít see the point buying new for the same old stuff.

Which is why I havenít replaced my 2005 Sequoia yet. Still no 8 passenger options that get 20-30% better mileage or are as reliable.

My 2010 Outback shares way too much with the slightly stiffer 2019 to be of any interest. 2020? Yeah far far stiffer platform fixing the flexy crummy handling the 2010-19ís have.

Start stop tech changes so much from platform to platform and has disable options deciding not to buy a dramatically improved platform over a yet to be driven version with start stop tech seems... Well very strange and very fiscally irresponsible especially when your in a 15 right now.

Whatever floats your boat man!! Iíd rather buy another rental property than a 10yr old flexy platform thatís outdated.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 AM

Car: 2015 3.6 Premium
Stop/Start is not a reason to discount the purchase of a 2020 OB. My wife's XV has it. It does not activate unless you press the brake pedal very hard. I can stop the car at the lights and not have it switch off. I usually remember to turn it off prior to taking leaving home. As stated above, you are replacing like for like at a cost. Wait and get a 2020. You will not regret your decision.

MY15 Outback 3.6 Premium
MY17 XV (hers)
MY08 Impreza RS 2.0i (daughters)
2004 Impreza RS (sons)
2006 VW Golf TDI (sons)
Yamaha MT07 and yet another of the sons
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko1 View Post
Stop/Start is not a reason to discount the purchase of a 2020 OB. My wife's XV has it. It does not activate unless you press the brake pedal very hard. I can stop the car at the lights and not have it switch off. I usually remember to turn it off prior to taking leaving home. As stated above, you are replacing like for like at a cost. Wait and get a 2020. You will not regret your decision.
+1, not sure why so much paranoia over stop/start. Heck, golf carts have had similar tech for 50 years. My son worked his way through high school and college at a golf course. Never once had a failed starter.

Simply makes no sense.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:44 AM

Reluctantly purchasing Ď19 vs Ď20...Questions

Has anyone tried to answer the OP questions yet? He didnít ask whether he should buy a 2019, he asked about price.

There is a thread already here on the forum about what folks are paying. Seems like at least 12% off retail. Iíd check that out. Your price looks pretty good to me, though.

Regarding the idea of purchasing or not, and what year model, that would be a different question. And, again, a lot of previous posts to review, including my own.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
walker likes this.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:59 AM

You are going to take a pretty hard hit trading in a 2015 that doesn't have eyesight. Look for 14-16k, some dealers like to use the trade in value as a slider when combined with the new car price. That 2019 quote is very good for my area if you are not part of a special program or partnership.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:41 AM

Car: 05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
The start/stop feature can be turned on or off. My wife hated this in the 19 Forester, and opted for the outback instead. While I can not guarantee this, based on the ability to turn on/off in the current lineup, it is highly likely to be available for the 2020.

Yes, there are headunit problems with the 19's. I have both a 19 outback premium w/nav and a 19 WRX limited w/ nav & hk. The outback has the worst sounding stereo of any new car I've purchased. I got it sounding reasonable now, but it still isn't great by my standards. I'm not looking forward to a road trip.
We have also had numerous issues with Android Auto. The headunit has gotten stuck multiple times not playing any audio, or only playing from the rear speakers.
On the WRX, it likes to freeze and not do anything when connecting a phone through either Bluetooth or Android auto.
These appear to be 100% software issues, I'm sure Subaru will figure it out, but they haven't yet.
My in-laws have a 19 Ascent, and 19 outback base. I haven't heard many issues from them, but I know they don't use the connected features as much, and have iPhones, so are using Apple Carplay instead. Not sure if this is it or not.

That said, I think getting a more mature model would make sense. Either get a 19 or get a 21. Let some initial kinks get worked out. I do have high hopes for the new 20 XT. It looks good, has some nice features, and the 2.4DIT from the Ascent has some up and go.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
The start/stop feature can be turned on or off. My wife hated this in the 19 Forester, and opted for the outback instead. While I can not guarantee this, based on the ability to turn on/off in the current lineup, it is highly likely to be available for the 2020.

Yes, there are headunit problems with the 19's. I have both a 19 outback premium w/nav and a 19 WRX limited w/ nav & hk. The outback has the worst sounding stereo of any new car I've purchased. I got it sounding reasonable now, but it still isn't great by my standards. I'm not looking forward to a road trip.
We have also had numerous issues with Android Auto. The headunit has gotten stuck multiple times not playing any audio, or only playing from the rear speakers.
On the WRX, it likes to freeze and not do anything when connecting a phone through either Bluetooth or Android auto.
These appear to be 100% software issues, I'm sure Subaru will figure it out, but they haven't yet.
My in-laws have a 19 Ascent, and 19 outback base. I haven't heard many issues from them, but I know they don't use the connected features as much, and have iPhones, so are using Apple Carplay instead. Not sure if this is it or not.

That said, I think getting a more mature model would make sense. Either get a 19 or get a 21. Let some initial kinks get worked out. I do have high hopes for the new 20 XT. It looks good, has some nice features, and the 2.4DIT from the Ascent has some up and go.

I don't think its Subaru when you mention the connected issues. I've had the same issue in my Ford and other brands that I rent when traveling and using AA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: