Subaru Outback Forums banner

Shipping from Grand?

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  TaintMisbehavin 
#1 ·
About to work a deal with Grand. My plan is to ship. My spouse is concerned about this. What is involved, any experiences and advice you can offer?

#2 ·
I did this and didn't have any problems.
+: they do this enough and have a process and presumably use truckers who are pros.

-: You're buying a car blind, so you don't get to check off your own inspection list upon delivery (they trucker has another delivery and isn't going to wait around while you do a full inspection). You're putting more trust in other people doing their jobs correctly. You need to deal with TTL yourself.

I would consider doing it again, but if a car were avalailabe on the lot for ~1k more I might go that that route. For me there were none local and 1-2 within 300 miles at +$1-2k. Talk to them about your concerns, if they don't satisfy you/your spouse then look for other options.

#4 ·
Just an alternate idea here. Since you're concerned about shipping, why not book a one-way flight and drive it home? I did that on my wife's Outback and it was perfect. Flew into San Francisco from San Diego, they picked me up at the airport and took me to the dealership. I inspected the car, signed the papers and then spent a couple of days enjoying the new car on a mini vacation. The money you save on shipping will likely cover at least part of the trip home and you get a little break from work. :smile2: YMMV.

#7 ·
... why not book a one-way flight and drive it home?
My wife and I did that with both our Legacy and Outback ... Colorado Springs to Kansas City. We made a mini-vacation out of the ~650 mile trip, avoiding Interstate highways for the most part. Even after the cost of airfare, meals, and lodging, we still saved more than $1500 per vehicle.

#10 ·
I just read through 10 pages of Grand reviews and I am not scared off. The ones who posted negative reviews, Miami guy, not sure what happened with your situation, but most of the others got what they wanted at the price they wanted. Hey, these are car sales and you have to expect some potential issues. The fellow who was pitting one sales person against the other? I wasn't surprised they told you to go elsewhere. I think that crossed a line for them.

After reading the review about the 20 day shipping, I"m now inclined to fly up and drive it back. I have family 2.5 hours south so it'll be a nice trip

#16 ·
Grand is probably quoting between 15% - 20% off MSRP, with some sales approaching 25% off MSRP. I'm guessing 18% - 20% is a typical aggressive target. But it depends on what specifically a consumer is looking for and what Grand wants to move. Check out the MSRP thread for pricing discussions on new cars.

Your market in the NE is very, very tough -- 8% off MSRP might be an outstanding deal.

And frankly any deal where the buyer (me; or you) comes out feeling happy with the price paid means it was a good deal. Comparing a purchase price to another's price for purposes of "do I feel good about this purchase" is a recipe for disaster -- there will *always* be someone who scored a better deal. Much better, IMHO, to think "am I happy with what I paid for what I received?" Especially with a more costly item like a new car where dealer involvement might be expected, considerations beyond final price might (should) play a role. I'd pay more, without hesitation, to a dealer I had an existing relationship with that had demonstrated to me it's willingness to treat me well when challenges arise.

#15 ·
I could never buy a car sight-unseen. I spend an hour checking over a new car before I sign off and obligate myself financially. The salesman either agrees to leave me alone for as long as it takes me or I ask the sales mgr to intervene. Worst case I go elsewhere.

That being said I've only been rushed ONCE and I did take my time to do what I needed anyway. All was good in the end. I came out with 14.5 off MSRP. Darn good I understand.

It sounds neat, getting a car from a far-off dealer, saving a bit and seeing it arrive and all but I'd rather fly out or drive there.

Just me though.

//Dealer note: I spent about 2 hours and numerous emails trying to get a better deal than where mine came from but in the end a drive to Rohrman Subaru across the street literally from the Outback assembly plant saved me 1100. I live about 3 hours from there.

#18 ·
Grand

i had a couple of issues with grand during my purchase experience. Typical sleezy car dealer stuff but then they cut the shipping in half. The guy who delivered it pulled it into my garage and went over it with a fine tooth comb with me. He saw a paint blemish that my wife and I couldn’t see and we have good vision. No pressure to rush the inspection. He said if I find something after he left he’d be caught in the middle. 300 bucks to ship to extreme eastern PA. I don’t remember my discount but no one around here was even close, like $3000.

#20 ·
i had a couple of issues with grand during my purchase experience. Typical sleezy car dealer stuff but then they cut the shipping in half. The guy who delivered it pulled it into my garage and went over it with a fine tooth comb with me. He saw a paint blemish that my wife and I couldn’t see and we have good vision. No pressure to rush the inspection. He said if I find something after he left he’d be caught in the middle. 300 bucks to ship to extreme eastern PA. I don’t remember my discount but no one around here was even close, like $3000.
What was the process like to get it titled & registered in PA? Was thinking in the future of driving it back and making a long weekend out of it. Just not sure if the extra hassle with the DMV is worth it.

#21 ·
My experience with Grand was....well, Grand.

I got a 2019 OB Limited 3.6 with the Moonroof/Nav/RBA package(package 24), ext. auto dim mirror,all weather liners, rear bumper cover and rear seat back protector.

MSRP was $38,713.

Quote was $30,360. That's 21.6% off MSRP.

I flew up, got the car and drove home...stopping to see family on the way. I worked with Nicole and she kept me informed all along the way, with emails and texts. She was professional, walked me through all the tech stuff, and got me out of the dealership in no time. Sure, they ask if you want an extended warranty. They all do. But the quote was exactly what it had been. Nothing shifty. Great dealer and fantastic deal!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.