'15 no start sometimes, driving me crazy - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By plain OM
  • 2 Post By ammcinnis

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'15 no start sometimes, driving me crazy

Already replaced the original lame battery at 3 years and 40k miles because it died as most have. Now at 54k miles and the new battery has not failed me once until 3 weeks ago. Let's be clear it's likely not the battery. 4 times now we have been out driving for at least an hour and then the car will sit for between 15 minutes to up to 4 hours before attempting to restart. Zero warning lights, zero terminal corrosion, cool weather, no battery drains that I'm aware of, etc. Put key in, turn key, and nothing, not even a solonoid click. Jump start and it starts right up. After the third time I removed the battery, took it to a local auto electric place where they tested it for 24 hours and they said it was good as new which it should have been. 3 days later same issue. So is it a key issue, switch issue, gear shift issue, or what's your guess? Really don't want to take it someone or the dealer (1 hour away). I'm stubborn that way.

Last edited by Tahoe; 05-19-2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Bit off the wall, but, when the key is turned to Start and nothing at all happens, leave it at On, and turn the steering wheel.

When the car is parked, a steering wheel lock engages to prevent it from turning. If, when the key is turned to Off the steering wheel is under tension, and the lock engages, it might not disengage when the key is inserted and turned to On again, because the plunger is binding against the steering wheel. Turning the wheel allows the plunger (or whatever it is) to release. When the key is then turned to the next (start) position, it works.

(I'm thinking that even in that case with the jump start, between the initial try and getting out, connecting the jumper and then back in to try, the steering wheel might have been moved, and, it works.)

jsgntulok, RedRay and Sue Brew like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Here we are more that a month later and the problem continues. No apparent reason and always happens at the worst time. Happening about once per week and again this morning. I'm not 100% sure but seems like it could be an immobilizer issue. Absolutely no cranking when trying to start, but we are seeing a flashing of the lock symbol, plus the clock resets and the windows need to be reset on pass side. I bought a battery jump starter and have used it at least 8 times so far. If we jump the battery it starts right up. Battery is pretty new and has been checked at an auto electric shop, no corrosion, charge system working just fine, etc. Next stop I guess is the dealer but they're an hour away, and I haven't had the best of luck with them regarding other issues. I've had zero issues with our 02 WRX or 07 Imprezza wagon with 185k, but this Outback with only 54k has been a royal pain.

'15 Outback (Lapis Blue)
'02 WRX (Blaze Yellow)
Whidbey Island, WA
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:54 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
any aftermarket electronics? dash cam or ????

you need to measure 'dark current' I think.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
Already replaced the original lame battery at 3 years and 40k miles because it died as most have. Now at 54k miles and the new battery has not failed me once until 3 weeks ago. Let's be clear it's likely not the battery. 4 times now we have been out driving for at least an hour and then the car will sit for between 15 minutes to up to 4 hours before attempting to restart. Zero warning lights, zero terminal corrosion, cool weather, no battery drains that I'm aware of, etc. Put key in, turn key, and nothing, not even a solonoid click. Jump start and it starts right up. After the third time I removed the battery, took it to a local auto electric place where they tested it for 24 hours and they said it was good as new which it should have been. 3 days later same issue. So is it a key issue, switch issue, gear shift issue, or what's your guess? Really don't want to take it someone or the dealer (1 hour away). I'm stubborn that way.
It still can be a weak cell in the battery.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Easy stuff first. Are the battery connections clean and tight? A clamp left loose after battery replacement can cause symptoms exactly like these.
1 Lucky Texan and dat2109 like this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_One View Post
It still can be a weak cell in the battery.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!
Could be, but unlikely, battery load checked just fine.

'15 Outback (Lapis Blue)
'02 WRX (Blaze Yellow)
Whidbey Island, WA
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
Has the charging system update been applied to this car? I forget the TSB number.

When you attempt to start the car, do you get dashboard lights even those times when it doesn't start?

Has the charging system been checked?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

All connections checked, charge system checked, battery load checked, all lights come on as normal when starting, no aftermarket updates. Didn't know about TSB will check with dealer as this seems to be my last resort.

'15 Outback (Lapis Blue)
'02 WRX (Blaze Yellow)
Whidbey Island, WA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 PM

It's your battery, simplest explanation is usually the correct one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: