2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R ROUGH ride! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R ROUGH ride!

I just purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R and feel that the ride is extremely rough. It is fine on the highway of course (and was fine on the roads I did my test drive on) but on bumpy Rhode Island roads it is jarring. Is anyone else experiencing this as well? If so, did anyone find a solution?

borguetaa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Car: 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
Posts: 32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My new car rides great. However by bumpy roads, are you talking about pot holes and broken pavement or just rough pavement? I have personally driven on some poor roads in Rhode Island. I have a bad section in my area that I used during the test drive without any problems.


2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Navigation, Moonroof & LED Headlights
Ext: Abyss Pearl Blue Int: Ivory Leather
MyFirstSubaruOutback is offline  
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 AM
Registered User
 
Zedhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Duluth,Mn.
Car: '17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
Posts: 2,361
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prolly wanna give it a coupla thousand miles for the springs/struts to seat. Check the tire pressure. Make sure they're not over inflated.

But, you're not gonna have Lexus LS type ride here. It is a lifted, soft road type, suspension tune.
LightninST likes this.

'17 3.6R Touring BBP
'04 Foz XS
'01 Bean Wagon
'00 OBW
Zedhead is offline  
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Registered User
 
AvidHiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern NJ
Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Posts: 1,853
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
+1. It would be helpful to understand your expectations - what was your prior vehicle?

This topic has been discussed numerous times here in the Gen 5 forum, so your complaint is not at all unusual. Sharp bumps, like potholes on pavement, feel harsher than you might expect from a vehicle with so much suspension travel. But get it on a dirt road with smoother potholes and you'll see how effective it is. Just something you'll have to get used to. Subaru's new global platform was designed to improve NVH, so you might consider test driving a 2020 to see what it can do for the Outback (I found it very effective on the 2019 Crosstrek).
AvidHiker is offline  
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Registered User
 
paroxysym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Baltimore, MD
Car: 2018 Limited 2.5i
Posts: 362
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats your tire pressure at? coming from over a decade of owning jeeps, i found the ride of the OB to be amazing. i did find that lowering the tire pressure helped it as well
AvidHiker and Bellinghammer like this.
paroxysym is offline  
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salem MA
Car: 2018 328d Wagon / 2018 3.6R Touring
Posts: 687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
whats your tire pressure at? coming from over a decade of owning jeeps, i found the ride of the OB to be amazing. i did find that lowering the tire pressure helped it as well
I also find the dealerships frequently don't bother with the trivial matter of tire pressures. Haven't had a car delivered with the correct pressures yet. If possible check them in the morning cold. Should be 35 front, 33 rear IIRC.
OBnube and LightninST like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lfdal is offline  
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just mean regular roads. East Main Road on Aquidneck Island is the worst road anywhere. It is bone-jarring in my new car.
borguetaa is offline  
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
East Main Road in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by borguetaa View Post
I just purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R and feel that the ride is extremely rough. It is fine on the highway of course (and was fine on the roads I did my test drive on) but on bumpy Rhode Island roads it is jarring. Is anyone else experiencing this as well? If so, did anyone find a solution?
Just the simplest bumps in the road are a problem.
borguetaa is offline  
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coming out of a Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
Prolly wanna give it a coupla thousand miles for the springs/struts to seat. Check the tire pressure. Make sure they're not over inflated.

But, you're not gonna have Lexus LS type ride here. It is a lifted, soft road type, suspension tune.
Yeah, I understand that for sure. But this rides much rougher than my 10 year old Honda Fit that I traded in. That doesn't seem right. My head hurts after my 45 minute rumble of a commute.
borguetaa is offline  
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
+1. It would be helpful to understand your expectations - what was your prior vehicle?

This topic has been discussed numerous times here in the Gen 5 forum, so your complaint is not at all unusual. Sharp bumps, like potholes on pavement, feel harsher than you might expect from a vehicle with so much suspension travel. But get it on a dirt road with smoother potholes and you'll see how effective it is. Just something you'll have to get used to. Subaru's new global platform was designed to improve NVH, so you might consider test driving a 2020 to see what it can do for the Outback (I found it very effective on the 2019 Crosstrek).

I traded in a 2009 Honda Fit for the 2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6 R...figured it would be an upgrade. Seems like I feel every little bump in the road.

borguetaa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006-2014 Subaru Outback Genuine Front Brake Rotor | 26300AG01A discountpartsmonster Discount Parts Monster 0 12-27-2018 12:51 PM
06 Outback 2.5i NA EJ253, HG Shopping - 11044AA642 vs 11044AA770? jamesm113 Gen 3: 2005-2009 33 12-18-2017 04:50 AM
FS: 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Wagon mrdirosa Classifieds 0 07-13-2014 02:54 AM
Slight steering wheel shake bikergeek Steering Wheel Shake Issues 4070 07-19-2013 07:59 PM
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 39k mi, 1 Owner, Warranty! pwrdbym Classifieds 1 04-15-2013 03:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome