2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R ROUGH ride! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R ROUGH ride!

I just purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R and feel that the ride is extremely rough. It is fine on the highway of course (and was fine on the roads I did my test drive on) but on bumpy Rhode Island roads it is jarring. Is anyone else experiencing this as well? If so, did anyone find a solution?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 AM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
My new car rides great. However by bumpy roads, are you talking about pot holes and broken pavement or just rough pavement? I have personally driven on some poor roads in Rhode Island. I have a bad section in my area that I used during the test drive without any problems.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Navigation, Moonroof & LED Headlights
Ext: Abyss Pearl Blue Int: Ivory Leather
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 AM

Car: '17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
Prolly wanna give it a coupla thousand miles for the springs/struts to seat. Check the tire pressure. Make sure they're not over inflated.

But, you're not gonna have Lexus LS type ride here. It is a lifted, soft road type, suspension tune.
LightninST likes this.

'17 3.6R Touring BBP
'04 Foz XS
'01 Bean Wagon
'00 OBW
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
+1. It would be helpful to understand your expectations - what was your prior vehicle?

This topic has been discussed numerous times here in the Gen 5 forum, so your complaint is not at all unusual. Sharp bumps, like potholes on pavement, feel harsher than you might expect from a vehicle with so much suspension travel. But get it on a dirt road with smoother potholes and you'll see how effective it is. Just something you'll have to get used to. Subaru's new global platform was designed to improve NVH, so you might consider test driving a 2020 to see what it can do for the Outback (I found it very effective on the 2019 Crosstrek).
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:40 AM

Car: 2018 Limited 2.5i
Garage
whats your tire pressure at? coming from over a decade of owning jeeps, i found the ride of the OB to be amazing. i did find that lowering the tire pressure helped it as well
AvidHiker and Bellinghammer like this.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Car: 2018 328d Wagon / 2018 3.6R Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
whats your tire pressure at? coming from over a decade of owning jeeps, i found the ride of the OB to be amazing. i did find that lowering the tire pressure helped it as well
I also find the dealerships frequently don't bother with the trivial matter of tire pressures. Haven't had a car delivered with the correct pressures yet. If possible check them in the morning cold. Should be 35 front, 33 rear IIRC.
OBnube and LightninST like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

I just mean regular roads. East Main Road on Aquidneck Island is the worst road anywhere. It is bone-jarring in my new car.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

East Main Road in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by borguetaa View Post
I just purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R and feel that the ride is extremely rough. It is fine on the highway of course (and was fine on the roads I did my test drive on) but on bumpy Rhode Island roads it is jarring. Is anyone else experiencing this as well? If so, did anyone find a solution?
Just the simplest bumps in the road are a problem.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Coming out of a Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
Prolly wanna give it a coupla thousand miles for the springs/struts to seat. Check the tire pressure. Make sure they're not over inflated.

But, you're not gonna have Lexus LS type ride here. It is a lifted, soft road type, suspension tune.
Yeah, I understand that for sure. But this rides much rougher than my 10 year old Honda Fit that I traded in. That doesn't seem right. My head hurts after my 45 minute rumble of a commute.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
+1. It would be helpful to understand your expectations - what was your prior vehicle?

This topic has been discussed numerous times here in the Gen 5 forum, so your complaint is not at all unusual. Sharp bumps, like potholes on pavement, feel harsher than you might expect from a vehicle with so much suspension travel. But get it on a dirt road with smoother potholes and you'll see how effective it is. Just something you'll have to get used to. Subaru's new global platform was designed to improve NVH, so you might consider test driving a 2020 to see what it can do for the Outback (I found it very effective on the 2019 Crosstrek).

I traded in a 2009 Honda Fit for the 2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6 R...figured it would be an upgrade. Seems like I feel every little bump in the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: