You might have a DIY problem when... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: 2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You might have a DIY problem when...

There is nothing outstanding on the "Things the car needs serviced and/or repaired" list.

I'm down to replacing the cabin air filter and refreshing the power steering fluid. Well, and the constant drill out and replace rusted off bolts...but that doesn't really count. One of them break pretty much every time I touch the car.

But my "To Do" list is almost empty and making me twitchy. Nothing to tinker on.

Have you considered the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

Ours:
2002 Outback wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean no more: "Mal" 135,000 and counting.
Cloth interior swap. HIR1 high beam upgrade. Yellow Lamin-X fog light film.
2006 Outback 2.5i wagon: "Professor Sprout" 97,000 and counting.
HIR1 high beam upgrade.

Family fleet:
2006 Outback XT Limited.
109,000 and bone stock.

Previous:
"Solstice" 1996 Outback wagon, totaled at 115K.
"Kaylee" 2003 Outback wagon, sold at 167K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
There is nothing outstanding on the "Things the car needs serviced and/or repaired" list.

I'm down to replacing the cabin air filter and refreshing the power steering fluid. Well, and the constant drill out and replace rusted off bolts...but that doesn't really count. One of them break pretty much every time I touch the car.

But my "To Do" list is almost empty and making me twitchy. Nothing to tinker on.
Buy a wood sailboat and learn how to sail. Your car will soon rust away and you will not care because you will be 100% into the sailboat and tinkering with it. LOL

Full disclosure - I own two sailboats but they are fiberglass I have a job and family so no time for a wood one.h
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Car: 2000 Outback 2.5L H4 (EJ25)
How about adding 25 grounding wires, in bright colors, just for the heck of it?
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM

Car: 2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are all of the fasteners 'clocked'? If you didn't know, this is when you orient all of the fasteners in the vehicle to be basically the same. Philips head are all X or cross oriented, hex are all flat/points in the same direction, etc. That process could take you years.
jhodges likes this.

Come all without, come all within.
You'll not see nothing like
The Mighty Quinn!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: 2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvimbi View Post
How about adding 25 grounding wires, in bright colors, just for the heck of it?
I have contemplated adding a grounding kit. Never gotten around to it though. Worth the time/funds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euchre View Post
Are all of the fasteners 'clocked'? If you didn't know, this is when you orient all of the fasteners in the vehicle to be basically the same. Philips head are all X or cross oriented, hex are all flat/points in the same direction, etc. That process could take you years.
*eye twitching* At this point, I avoid touching any metal fastener I do not have to. Too many have sheared off already (hate you so much rust!) during routine maintenance. That reminds me, I need to replace the bolts on my washer fluid reservoir before they snap, they had me worried at the last plug change. And drill out the bolt the snapped off on my intake. And...I hate rust.

Have you considered the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

Ours:
2002 Outback wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean no more: "Mal" 135,000 and counting.
Cloth interior swap. HIR1 high beam upgrade. Yellow Lamin-X fog light film.
2006 Outback 2.5i wagon: "Professor Sprout" 97,000 and counting.
HIR1 high beam upgrade.

Family fleet:
2006 Outback XT Limited.
109,000 and bone stock.

Previous:
"Solstice" 1996 Outback wagon, totaled at 115K.
"Kaylee" 2003 Outback wagon, sold at 167K.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Car: 2000 Outback 2.5L H4 (EJ25)
Quote:
I have contemplated adding a grounding kit. Never gotten around to it though. Worth the time/funds?
I am not sure about this myself. I don't think it can hurt, provided it's done properly. And it might very well help if the car is oldish, in which case it is not unlikely that the grounding has suffered.

I think it's something one has to try to see if it has an impact; impossible to predict. One way to go about it, I guess, is to hold off on putting proper connectors on the wires, attach them and first see which connection has an impact, if any. Once you have determined that there is a benefit, then you can go ahead and make everything nice and shiny.

In the end, I don't think it's that expensive, even if you were to replace the battery terminal plugs ($10-30), went with 0/1 awg oxygen-free copper wire and nice terminals. Could probably replace the positive cables as well and have it all done for less than the OEM cable set.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
*eye twitching* At this point, I avoid touching any metal fastener I do not have to. Too many have sheared off already (hate you so much rust!) during routine maintenance. That reminds me, I need to replace the bolts on my washer fluid reservoir before they snap, they had me worried at the last plug change. And drill out the bolt the snapped off on my intake. And...I hate rust.
Now that I've mentioned clocking, you'll be looking at all those fasteners and noticing how randomly they are all oriented...

You know you want to make them all match. You do. You know it.

The Mighty Quinn!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 PM

Car: 2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
Quote:
I replaced the three factory ground under the hood with 4 gauge cable and copper lugs. Then added a fourth from the battery negative to the strut tower. I saw pretty good change in light dimming at idle and engine "smoothness." I plan to replace the alternator positive that runs to the fusible link. Changing that on my old truck and Subaru made the biggest difference when running lots of accessories at idle.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 PM

Car: 05LGT unltd RBP 5mt Stage3.5 359whp/425wtq + 06 OBXT BSM/GGO 5mt ltd. + 1999 Dodge Durango Modded Towpig & 19' Airstream CCD
Quote:
There is nothing outstanding on the "Things the car needs serviced and/or repaired" list. But my "To Do" list is almost empty and making me twitchy. Nothing to tinker on...

+

I avoid touching any metal fastener...Too many have sheared off already (hate you so much rust!) during routine maintenance.... I need to replace the bolts on my washer fluid reservoir ... And drill out the bolt the snapped off on my intake. And...I hate rust.
= Maybe you should do something about the deteriorating condition of your car

Quote:
NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euchre View Post
Now that I've mentioned clocking, you'll be looking at all those fasteners and noticing how randomly they are all oriented... You know you want to make them all match. You do. You know it.
Cleaning, looming, powdercoating, installing, rewiring... Ah the cures for boredom.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Garage
Not everyone considers that kind of 'looming' pretty. You might say 'wire hiding' instead.

Have you waxed your painted engine parts? Clearcoated the bare metal? Looks like you still need to highlight the 'full' and 'low' marks on your reservoirs.

The Mighty Quinn!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: