2020 Outback, worth the wait? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #11 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 PM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's been an interesting adventure for me. I bought my 2015 OB new in the Fall of 2014 with the anticipation of trading this fall. (As an empty nester nearing retirement, I was finally hoping to start getting a new car every couple of years.) I really like my OB, but have always thought it just a smidge too big for my taste.

Earlier this summer I almost bought a Forester XT but the dealer thought I was so smitten with the car that he thought he could get away with some classic car sales trickery. I walked. I then test drove some other cars and found some pretty spectacular deals on the new Alfa Romeo Stelvio. What a fantastic drive! I almost leased one of those but found it hard to find one equipped the way I wanted. (Typical of this class of cars that having all the desired safety tech also means you're buying a bunch of other expensive options you don't want.)

Then, I took a couple of long road trips this summer and rediscovered what a wonderful road cruiser the Outback is. Yes, it'd be nice to have a Forester-sized car for around town, but the Outback's longer wheel base makes it a great highway car.

So, I've got a perfectly good OB that is running great. I've decided I'll simply wait until the Gen 6 OB is out next year and then see whether I want to downsize a tiche or stick with the Outback. It's nice not to have to rush these things.

Brad99, Jim_in_PA and dhawk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:15 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
It's been an interesting adventure for me. I bought my 2015 OB new in the Fall of 2014 with the anticipation of trading this fall. (As an empty nester nearing retirement, I was finally hoping to start getting a new car every couple of years.) I really like my OB, but have always thought it just a smidge too big for my taste.

Earlier this summer I almost bought a Forester XT but the dealer thought I was so smitten with the car that he thought he could get away with some classic car sales trickery. I walked. I then test drove some other cars and found some pretty spectacular deals on the new Alfa Romeo Stelvio. What a fantastic drive! I almost leased one of those but found it hard to find one equipped the way I wanted. (Typical of this class of cars that having all the desired safety tech also means you're buying a bunch of other expensive options you don't want.)

Then, I took a couple of long road trips this summer and rediscovered what a wonderful road cruiser the Outback is. Yes, it'd be nice to have a Forester-sized car for around town, but the Outback's longer wheel base makes it a great highway car.

So, I've got a perfectly good OB that is running great. I've decided I'll simply wait until the Gen 6 OB is out next year and then see whether I want to downsize a tiche or stick with the Outback. It's nice not to have to rush these things.
I am also interested in the Gen 6 Outback. However, It will be a car with a new body, new technology, possibly new engines. I prefer to wait a year on a new model for fixes and improvements. 2021 looks like the year.

Richard Pare likes this.

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 22,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 PM

Car: 2016 OB 2.5 Limited
My wife bought a 2018 Honda Accord Touring. Beautiful car and is comfortable and a good drive. Great gas mileage. But my 2016 OB limited still feels like it has more quality. I love the sound when I close the doors. Clunk! Besides, at my age, a higher car is easier to get in and out of. Besides all that, Subaru is easy to deal with and stand behind thier cars! I’ve spent a lot of time on the phone to Honda, 8 times in the shop. I had to be very persistent and finally got it fixed. Only took 2 months. They put in a new radio. Car is now 3 months old and everything now works!
post #14 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idosubaru View Post
How many miles are you typically owning a car?

If you're a 250,000 miles of car ownership type of person I'd lean toward the H6 engines.

In engineering terms Turbo's have a lot more failure modes and single points of failures associated with the turbo - oil feed lines, coolant lines, fittings, clamps, hoses galore, additional valving and control mechanisms, and exhaust considerations. Just statistically speaking there's more parts to fail and they generate significant heat. Not a big deal early on - but for high mileage use you can incur a lot more maintenance. turbo's live much closer to the cliff of death than their NA cousins. What is a minor inconvenience/shop visit for an NA car is a scrap motor and 4 or 5 digit repair for a turbo. You can google all the 05-09 turbo engine horror stories to see how that plays out, that's par for the turbo course.

Again - no big deal for the average new car owner buying and owning a car for only 100,000 miles.

The turbo aspect is also why Iím looking at other suv ideas other than the Ascent. Subaru is probably the middle of the road regarding turbo engine durability and reliability with a ccpuple of other manufacturers with better experience doing turbo engines Ford is essentially the top dog today with turbo tech and engine development.

As much as I like the cvt on our OB its the only thing I donít really trust the old EJ 2.5 its my second one doesnít worry me. But add a very spotty turbo engine history and a cvt I donít fully trust and I find the risks justify at least exploring other brands with longer better engine history as possible SUV / Truck replacements for our subaru.
post #15 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:52 AM

On your first point, the 'stop/start' feature, be aware that on some,if not all cars, have 'switchable feature whereby the stop/start feature can be turned OFF.
Harplayr likes this.
post #16 of 138 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 AM

Car: 2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1614 View Post
On your first point, the 'stop/start' feature, be aware that on some,if not all cars, have 'switchable feature whereby the stop/start feature can be turned OFF.
True, but for that trip only. Once you turn the car back on, you need to turn the S/S off again. Another potential problem is starter wear and battery wear. A recent Motor Trend review of a Jaguar said it failed to re-start (in heavy traffic) a few times. I really don't want to play "will it start?" at every stop sign. I seem to remember a number of times, over my 60 years of driving, when I tried to start a car, it wouldn't. Lucky that most of the time this happened in my driveway.
post #17 of 138 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1614 View Post
Not all. A while back I had a Cadillac XT5 for a week. Was surprised there was no override switch. I understand there are other GM vehicles with that same "feature".

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #18 of 138 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:42 AM

Car: Honda Accord EX 6 cyl
I strongly agree about the stop start system. For me it's a dealbreaker. The annoying "delay-jerk-move" cycle will drive you crazy. While you can turn it off, it won't stay off. Some cars it will stay off, but with Subaru, it comes back on next time you start the car. Suggest you download the 2019 Forester owners manual and read the section starting at page 339. Do you want this complex control system and all the sensors necessary to feed it in your car? Not me.
Harplayr and Richard Pare like this.
post #19 of 138 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
Same for me. If you can't set it to default to off I'm not going to buy the car. When I press the accelerator I want the car to go...not start the motor and then go.
post #20 of 138 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Car: 2015 Outback LTD 2.5
Is the addition of the start-stop seem on the Gen Outback/Legacy confirmed????

It's not on the 2018/19 Impreza and Crosstrek that I can see..........

Maybe start looking for one of the OBD-compatble plug in modules to lock the start stop out "feature", period.....?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: