Subaru Outback Forums banner

NYC = First Auto Show for 2020 OB !!

84K views 510 replies 115 participants last post by  Cardude10 
#1 ·
Anyone know when the 2020 Outback will be first shown at an auto show? I thought perhaps the New York show in late April.

#5 ·
Detroit usually gets some wrx/ STI discussion on hot ricer trims /options. (Jan 14-27, 2019) = edit this year: S209 STI

if they follow what they did for 2015 Gen5 debuts:

Legacy 2020 for Chicago, Feb 9-18, 2019

then Outback 2020 for NYC, April 19-28, 2019

I would have hoped for more hybrid / electric, and FA24T official discussion for Outback 2020 by now.:frown2:

#6 ·
Detroit usually gets some wrx/ STI discussion on trims /options. (Jan 14-27, 2019)

if they follow what they did for 2015 Gen5 debuts:

Legacy 2020 for Chicago, Feb 9-18, 2019

then Outback 2020 for NYC, April 19-28, 2019

I would have hoped for more hybrid / electric, and FA24T official discussion for Outback 2020 by now.:frown2:
Agreed, thus far Subaru seems to really be keeping the 2020 outback under wraps. Not sure if that's indicative of big changes or very minor changes.

I'm really hoping for a new eyesight package for 2020 like the one they have in japan (touring assist) but the complete lack of news about it is not making me optimistic.

#7 ·
Karnak says:

Based on the 2017-18 Impreza/Crosstrek design, I expect that the 2020 OB will be very evolutionary NOT revolutionary in appearance. Put the Gen 5 and 6 next to each other and you'll have to stare hard to see which one is the newest.

I predict that the fenders will have more pronounced, harder edged wheel bulges like the Ascent has and a side body concave channel which apparently is a new Subaru signature style. 2019 Forester has the channel down low while the Impreza/Crosstrek has that same concave body panel, but at "hip" height.......

Grille should be very similar but probably more vertical for pedestrian safety. Tail lamps will resemble the Ascent/Forester but larger and feature the edge-lit look that competitors are adopting. Headlamps probably will become smaller but more efficient in output......

How's that? Anyone else?

Steve

#8 ·
more like parking a 2018 forester next to a 2019 global platform one to compare and contrast.
engine / trans, seats, safety, ... but looks similar, as why break the mold of success.

#11 ·
I am very interested in a Gen 6 Outback. However, I may wait until the 2021 model year. Subaru's usual 2nd-year updates AND concerns for first-year bugs.

Reactions: Harplayr
#12 ·
I am very interested in a Gen 6 Outback. However, I may wait until the 2021 model year. Subaru's usual2nd-year updates AND concerns for first-year bugs.
The base 2.5 engine will most likely be the 19 Forester's unit and the 2.4 DIT is out of the Ascent. Same with the CVT'S . So there should be no issues with the drivetrain choices. As always the infotainment upgrades could cause issues

#16 ·
Hard for me to believe that, with the NYC 2019 Auto Show just 3 months ago, NO spy photos of the Gen 6 Outback and Legacy have been posted somewhere online.....

Anyone see anything?

Steve
seen 2020 legacy / LGT sedan test mule pics. ,...but I don't recall a wagon bodied car.

#18 ·
While I would generally support with any manufacturer not getting a first-year model, the OB will be the last Subbie to the 2016 platform and will have powertrain and tech that has been underway for well over a year, and if the last gens follow, these are evolutionary not revolutionary updates. Keep an eye on Ascent problems for any indication of concerns.

#20 ·
I hope not, Brucey!

It's so hard to keep new models hidden this long in the design cycle......even MB and BMW get caught out and about with some body film wrappings.........for a popular" vehicle like the OB, it's just so strange that no one has caught it yet on video.

Uh oh: could the new OB be SO evolutionary, like the Forester, that only a Subie aficionado could tell the difference???

Steve

#33 ·
Last week I was in a state park in Tennessee standing in front of my car. A man walked up to me and asked me how I liked my Outback. I gave him a short version of my how happy I was with it. He said he worked at the factory in Indiana. (no way to know if this was bs or true). I asked him about the 2020 Outback. He said they are offering the turbo engine similar to the Ascent. He said the exterior would not be a major change to the present model (no surprise). He said their would a very large screen.

He may have talked for a long time. I was in a hurry and I wasn't sure he was really a worker from the factory. I wish I had more time to talk to him and get more, possibly true, details.

#34 ·
Wow, that's pretty cool! This thing is gonna be killer with the Global Platform and the 2.4T in it. I wonder what he meant about the 'very large screen.' Could they be doing something different for the Outback's interior, like a huge portrait-oriented screen? That would be awesome.

#39 ·
2019 NY auto show and the 2020 Outback

Heard the 2020 Outback will be announced at the 2019 New York Auto show (April 18-24). Any truth to the rumor?

#43 ·
Heard the 2020 Outback will be announced at the 2019 New York Auto show (April 18-24). Any truth to the rumor?
merged with existing.:|

#40 ·
#44 ·
My bad on article date. Didn't even notice it was from 2014 hinting at the gen 5. Did find this:

The 2019 show will be held from April 19 through April 28, with press preview days on April 17 and 18

Production car introductions

World debuts

• 2020 Hyundai Sonata
  • Hyundai Styx CUV
  • Qiantu K50 EV
  • 2020 Subaru Outback
  • 2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

#46 ·
Maybe there haven't been any spy-photos of the 2020 Outback.... because.. there isn't a 2020 Outback?

(let the recriminations and mass executions begin) (joke!)

#47 ·
I've actually had the same thoughts. Almost makes sense. OB is losing sales at the same rate Ascent is getting sales. Cut production costs and have folks go right from the Forester to the Ascent.

Not hard to find photos of the other vehicles that will be unveiled at the auto show.

Reactions: toddwilks
#48 ·
Because car models "do" end. We need to admit that at some date in the future there will be "the last Outback model".

Like the Brat.

Now only available in Wisconsin as the Subaru Bratwurst.

#55 ·
Oh man, I hadn't thought about the possibility of no 2020 Outback.

I still think that it's unlikely but it's possible that the Gen 6 is the last if the Ascent takes off.

I thought about it and something might need to go.

With the XV, Foz, OB, and Ascent I wonder if there is too much overlap in the lineup.

#56 ·
no 2020 Outback.
maybe you should switch to bottled water.

and/or bottled beer.

as whatever bath-tub gin you are making with the local WV tap water is getting to you.

#59 ·
August of 2018 was the last month where OB outsold Forester. For the last 6 months Forester has been eating OB's lunch.

#58 ·
I can offer to send Brucey some of my OCD medicine so he doesn't freak out. LOL

It just seems that they are doing a really good job of keeping things under wraps. As it has been said, the OB is too good of a seller for them to cut their legs out from under the company (yet); But dumber things have happened to other companies and brands.

I had considered going to the Forester, but I do not care for the engine. I then thought about the Ascent, but I do not need a boat. Its just me and my camping gear with a desire to sometimes sleep in the car instead of in a tent and to do light-off paved road driving in hilly places. The Outback fits that need right now and I am comfy with the model from my experiences with "Frog".

Reactions: Brucey
#61 ·
Lets say there is no 2020 Outback or that the 2020 Outback is designed conservatively, what does that do to Gen 5 resale values?

For example, the Rav4, going from Gen 4 to Gen 5, the differences between the two are huge. I would imagine that will be hurting Gen 4 Rav4 resale values. The same can be said for the Hyundai Santa Fe going from Gen 3 to Gen 4. But with the new Outback styling expected to be barely different than Gen 5, I wonder if that will keep Gen 5 resale values strong.

#63 ·
Um, it's a Subaru.

Still higher resale values and higher residuals than basically everything else out there that's not a luxury car, no matter what.

When Forester did the body style change in '13, we couldn't keep them in stock for 9 months, selling about 60% of our pipeline or just ordering them in. When Outback did the body style change in '14, we couldn't keep them in stock for a year and a half, selling 95% of our pipeline or ordering. The Ascent bandwagon is rolling along right now, we're selling every one we can get. While there won't be a huge change externally, going to the new global platform will make a HUGE difference in that car. The first time we got to drive the Impreza with the new platform, we were shocked at how much like a Legacy it now was. New global platform and turbo engine availability in the Outback will be ANOTHER game changer.

#67 ·
Yes, I understand those pictures are of the 2020 Legacy, but the site confirms that the all-new Gen. 6 Subaru Outback will be released in 2020 as we all have expected.

From the site: "The all-new 2020 Outbacks, the first in five years, go on sale at Planet Subaru in the autumn of 2019."

Just wondering why Planet Subaru can post this, but apparently some dealers can't even verbally confirm that the Gen. 6 is coming this fall as a 2020 model?

#68 ·
Yea, my dealer says September, minimal size and styling changes round fogs are gone with vertical ones like the Impreza sport led DRL'S. Forester type tail lights. Forester engine is the base 2.5 along with the Ascent 2.4 DIT as a option on higher trims.

#72 ·
I don't think that the folks at Planet who posted what they did are offering anything that hasn't been speculated in the press and the fact that "we think" or "we suspect" (paraphrased) is part of that message reinforces that. Every dealership organization has their own style and they appear to just be enthusiastic about "what comes next". Within a month or three any speculation will likely end anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.