Calling all 3.6r owners! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Calling all 3.6r owners!

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get into an outback within the next year or so and my plan was to get a 3.6r touring. That being said, with the new 2020 coming out with the 2.4 turbo, I'm now conflicted.

My questions for you 3.6r's is, how do you like it? Is the highway milage on road trips decent? How about power? Towing? Throw everything you've got at me! You can read reviews about cars all day, but I want some real people's advice and opinions from real world experience.
Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:09 PM
rmd

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R (previously 2013 Outback 2.0TD 6MT, 2007 Outback 2.5 Premium 5MT, 2004 Outback 2.5 5MT, 1998 Legacy GT VDC Wagon, 1992 Legacy GT S2 Sedan)
I like the smooth power delivery of the 3.6. Turbo 4s I've driven in the past have been sluggish at low speeds around town. I wouldn't choose to swap the 6 for a turbo 4. Maybe the new 2.4DIT will be better than turbos of old, but I'm also suspicious of DI reliability. If the Gen6 still offered a 3.6 I might have considered trading up to get away from the godawful radio-happy head unit in the 2018 (assuming the Gen 6 head unit isn't just as bad). As it stands, I intend to keep the 3.6 until I can go electric (which I'm guessing will finally be a departure from Subaru after 30 years). Everyone will be making electric cars with low centre of gravity and AWD.

Can't speak to towing. The power for passing is great, although I do find it is much better to be in S# mode, which I think unlocks more torque and power than is available in S or I mode.

The fuel economy of the 3.6 is better than my Gen 3 2.5s for highway driving, so no complaints really. I've gotten used to frequent fillups now after coming from diesel.

HeyChris and LightninST like this.
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:10 PM

Car: 2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
Garage
For towing, the new 2.4 turbo will have the edge as it's blessed for 3500 lbs which is a bit more than the MY19 and earlier gen 5 3.6 Outbacks were permitted to tow. A lot of this isn't the engine, however...it's the global platform which is stiffer and better suited to the higher capacity.

----
Retired from the telecom industry and now doing professional woodworking and CNC along with enjoying cooking, photography and reading
post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:14 PM

Garage
I bought a 2019 3.6 because I couldn’t get a 3.6 in 2020. It was 3.6 or no Subaru.
walker, Wilko1, Sandbag and 4 others like this.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Crystal White Pearl w/ Slate Black leather interior, 5% tints all around, yellow Lamin-X fog light film, Diode Dynamics Cool White led’s throughout cabin. JDM storage tray.
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 3.6R
I love the smoothness of the six cylinder engine. Even with the CVT I think it is one of the smoothest platforms I have driven. I am not a fan of the turbo fours. I am concerned about longevity. There is a ton of info out there regarding the pros and cons of turbocharged engines. I agree with rmd I think they are sluggish. I drove the Ascent as a loaner and I could not wait to turn it back in. The turbo fanatics will be all over those of us that disagree, and there are previous threads that back up this claim.
The power delivery is amazing.
I traded in a 17 four banger for a 19 to get the six before it was discontinued and have no regrets what so ever. I’m getting 26ish mpg but I’m not a heavy footed driver. I do not tow but I have had four people with gear and barely noticed a change.
Sandbag, Yoda_One, Plantgg and 3 others like this.
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
For towing, the new 2.4 turbo will have the edge as it's blessed for 3500 lbs which is a bit more than the MY19 and earlier gen 5 3.6 Outbacks were permitted to tow. A lot of this isn't the engine, however...it's the global platform which is stiffer and better suited to the higher capacity.
You all should troll the Ascent forum. The 2.4 DIT proves to be very thirsty. Especially when towing. Things like 8 mpg. In the winter, on short trips, these cars are averaging 12 mpg, sh*t like that. H*ll, Frank does better than that.

They are also being overfilled at the dealer. Some people are even suggesting there is a problem with fuel being passed to the oil and there oil levels are rising. I haven't bought into the rising level theory, because these car in question werte delivered overfull. So any data these folks are trying collect means nothing to me.

In my experience, turbo Subarus use oil, they don't make more of it. Without starting at the top full mark and monitoring it. I can't swallow rising oil levels unless they all start from the same benchmark level. Not ... "it's about 1/2" over full". I'm a finish carpenter by trade. I can spot an inch, or the difference between 3/8 and 5/16". But your Average minivan driver turned Ascent owner, likely can't with any real accuracy.

Plus, it doesn't even have a hood scoop. It has stupid under hood ducting to the TMIC. Turbo Subaru trade mark is a function hood scoop feeding air the the TMIC. Supposedly the hood scoop looses 1 mpg at 65 mph plus due to wind tunnel test. They are going to call the 2.4DIT OB an XT. But last true OBXTs cars from the past. I'm happy I have 2.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
I am not a fan of the turbo fours. I am concerned about longevity. There is a ton of info out there regarding the pros and cons of turbocharged engines. I agree with rmd I think they are sluggish. I drove the Ascent as a loaner and I could not wait to turn it back in. The turbo fanatics will be all over those of us that disagree, and there are previous threads that back up this claim.
Interesting.

Car&Driver has an Ascent on their 40K long term test and one of the comments is how everyone on staff likes the low end grunt of the 2.4DIT. I am going to be the 1st to say that much of the "lag" or "sluggish" you people talk about has more to do with throttle mapping and CVT programming paired with the turbo, than the turbo itself.

Both of my OBXTs are tuned by XRT. I live at mile high. After the tunes, both cars are responsive and the 5EAT transmission id downright predictive. I love the pairing in mile high air.

However, others in my tuning group who are 3.0H6 and even some Turbos at low altitude complain about dead spots or response hick-ups. A simple revised throttle map would make a huge difference. The 2.0DIT is a very successful platform. Of course all the big tuners have full on tunes for that. It's in the WRX and the Levorg.

The 2.4DIT Outback would have to sell like the WRX and have as many punks buying them who want to put a "Rally Pig" sticker on it before COBB will ever put any effort toward it. There current stance on the Ascent and developing tunes for it is a big fat NO. The only reason COBB stages work on the Gen3 OBXT is because it's the same crack as the WRX. They would never have developed anything for the OBXT/LGT crowd. We just got lucky.
Sparkland likes this.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotts View Post
Hi everyone. I'm looking to get into an outback within the next year or so and my plan was to get a 3.6r touring. That being said, with the new 2020 coming out with the 2.4 turbo, I'm now conflicted.

My questions for you 3.6r's is, how do you like it? Is the highway milage on road trips decent? How about power? Towing? Throw everything you've got at me! You can read reviews about cars all day, but I want some real people's advice and opinions from real world experience.
Much appreciated!

You should try to decide sooner than later.

If you decide to get a 3.6r, you will begin to have less and less options because dealers will begin phasing them out. This might work out in your benefit if you are not picky, you will get better deals on the on the last of the 19 models when they are trying to clear their inventory for the 2020s.

If you decide to wait for the 2.4T, I hope you are patient. Whenever a new model is released, there will always be delays. Also, please be ready for glitches, recalls, etc that a new model or generation will have. Every new infotainment/radio system will have glitches and software issues.

I have only owned my 3.6r for 1 month/ 1k miles. I am averaging 23-24 mpg. I drive 50 miles roundtrip to work with highway and canyon driving. I have not towed with it yet.. We will be taking a the first mini road trip in the OB this weekend to Palm Springs (about 120 miles 1-way), I will let you know how if I notice any difference.

The power is perfect for what I need in. It is fast enough to keep up on the highway or a quick acceleration if needed. This car replaced a 2012 Impreza Sport Limited (2.0 cvt - 150hp - 26-28mpg) for my daily commuter. I am still getting used to the handling on the bigger/taller outback... I used to be able to take corners and canyon driving real aggressively in the impreza, I find myself needing to slow down more with the outback.

On paper, the 2020 2.4T looks like it should be an all around better vehicle, but I personally would wait until the 2021 to purchase 1 to let them fix all of the kinks n glitches it might have.

If you need a car sooner, I don't think you will be disappointed with a 19 3.6r..
George-Mi-Az and mmander like this.
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:40 PM

‘18 3.6 Touring 27mpg mixed driving. Total sleeper at red lights, folks think Subaru wagon huh - my 8th Subaru, simply put the finest I’ve driven. Silky power, that makes you grin 🙂 Too bad the 3.6 is being retired 😞
Sandbag, Sparkland and 10SCJed like this.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 PM

Car: 2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
You all should troll the Ascent forum.
I'm there with frequency since I have one on order, due to arrive about the first week in May. 'Got the VIN today. But yes, folks are reporting the engine to be thirsty while towing. But so was my Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. But this isn't relevant to my previous comment because that was specifically about towing capacity which is improved with the MY20 Outback and the 2.4T, albeit most likely primarily because of the new platform.

----
Retired from the telecom industry and now doing professional woodworking and CNC along with enjoying cooking, photography and reading

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: