2020 Outback Cargo Space??? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2020 Outback Cargo Space???

Anyone know the real answer for how much cargo space (behind second row) the 2020 Outback will have? When 1st introduced in NY, it was being reported to have 32.5 cf, then shortly after, I was reading 37.2cf on Subaru's website. Now today, I see Subaru's website showing 32.5cf.

I'm dizzy, does anyone have the real answer???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Car: 2017 Subaru Legacy Sport
Subaru's website lists 32.5 ft3 with seats up and 75.7ft3 with the seats down for the new 2020. The 2019 Outback has 35.5ft3 with the seats up and 73.3ft3 with the seats down. So they increased the total space for the new model, but probably pushed the rear seats back a few inches for more leg room which made the seat up space a little smaller.

As far as Subaru changing the number on their site, I do not know about that!

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
That's an interesting change. I'd be surprised if they added more legroom in the back. One of my largest passengers recently commented how roomy it felt back there.

Anyway, sounds like a typo since the number has changed back to what was first reported.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps the second row will slide front/back making the cargo space behind the 2nd row a variable number???

SFTL-1
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudzinskas View Post
Subaru's website lists 32.5 ft3 with seats up and 75.7ft3 with the seats down for the new 2020. The 2019 Outback has 35.5ft3 with the seats up and 73.3ft3 with the seats down. So they increased the total space for the new model, but probably pushed the rear seats back a few inches for more leg room which made the seat up space a little smaller.

As far as Subaru changing the number on their site, I do not know about that!
Hard to believe they would take a step backwards as far as cargo space with the seats up. My seats are almost always down so the total cargo space is what is important to me but I would think losing space behind the seats would be a pretty big deal for many. Leg room has always seemed pretty good in the Outback so I don't know why they would sacrifice rear cargo space to add more leg room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Cargo space with the seats up is shrinking due to the full size spare.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 PM

I was excited when I saw the 20' Outback and was hoping the cargo space would get bumped up a bit, so was disappointed when is read 32.5cf, then excited to see 37.2 posted on the website. I am now disappointed once again to see 32.5 😕. If 32.5 holds true, it's a deal breaker for me...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 AM

Car: 2005 Outback XT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTL-1 View Post
I was excited when I saw the 20' Outback and was hoping the cargo space would get bumped up a bit, so was disappointed when is read 32.5cf, then excited to see 37.2 posted on the website. I am now disappointed once again to see 32.5 😕. If 32.5 holds true, it's a deal breaker for me...
Just curious, what would you buy instead?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 AM

Car: 2014 3.6R Limited
If they slid the seats back a little further that would make it harder to use all the space with the seats down. A lot of the usable floor space is already lost due to the gap between the front seats and the seats folded down without coming up with something to fill that gap. That was 1 thing I liked about my 2013 TDI sportwagon. You removed the rear headrests and the seats folded down flush with the back of the front seats. I could carry more in my sportwagon than I can my bigger Outback! Then VW changed the design and the seats didn't fold down flat and had a gap. I might be driving a gas Sportwagon if VW hadn't done that.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTKU View Post
Just curious, what would you buy instead?
Not sure yet, but I think an 18' or 19' OB will be on the short list along with a Honda Passport and possibly a Jeep GC, but the long term reliability of the Jeep is a concern.

I am still hopeful that the 32.5 is a mistake and Subaru has not taken a step backwards in their rear cargo space capacity...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: