Canadian Survey - Page 19 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #181 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:19 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGraham View Post
Not a Subaru owner yet but was getting close to trading our GLK250 on an Outback. However after joining this forum, several concerns. Maybe some of you can comment:

- Would like leather seats, but then it seems I have to buy Limited version and also have to get the built in GPS. Memory seats also included, but not much else of value. Upcharge is ~$4500 and all I want is leather

- Sunroofs are standard on OBs. I have them on two other car (Mercedes). Never use them, but have had to have rust repairs done as they age. And one jammed - would have been expensive repair at dealer. Would not order sunroof if I had a choice.

- Sound like built in GPS can be a problem - at least in getting up to date maps. We currently use Garmin with free lifetime maps. Dealer said something about using Apple/Android play to link to car system for nav. What is that about?

- Wanted to get All Weather tires. But upcharge is close to $800 over the stock all season tires.

- In another thread, posted numbers for maintenance come to ~C$2435 for 4 services. (much more than my cost on 2014 Mercedes I would trade)

On the other hand, I have friends who now both own their second OB. I think they get them serviced elsewhere.

Maybe I should shop around a bit more? Tiguan, Edge, Highlander, Equinox, Santa Fe, Kia? Others in $40 k range?

You will get quite a few extras on the Limited, not sure worth 4500. but some are nice, like heated steering wheel and rear seats, nicer instrument panel and so on

I believe Subaru gives you 3 years free updates on the Maps. The built in car play/Android Auto support, if working
properly great thing to have. think of it has having your phone on the multimedia display. You can use google maps. Spotify and so on and control it from the "radio".

I fix vehicles for a living and i can tell you sunroofs are pain the butt to repair. That said, you u don't use them, they should be ok. Just make sure to clean debris and dirt once while. Cleaning the weather seals with silicone spray will go long way preventing issues with them.Lubing the tracks with proper lubricant must.

Not sure where you live, but i would not upgrade the tires at the dealer. Keep the nice rims-tires that come with it and invest dedicated set winter tires.

Not sure where you getting those amounts, seem way high. GLK's are great little suv's, but it's no comparison maintenance wise. Oil service at dealer will set you back around 100.-120. i would think and for a while that will be all it's needed. Once out of warranty you have many choice's out here where to get it serviced. U don't need to have it service at Subaru to keep warranty, but i highly recommend it. Just say no extra stuff they might try to sell you.

Lots of different vehicles to pick from. Only suggestion i can offer, wait another year for the 2020 model, will be built different chassis, hopefully will have the 2.4T and upgraded CVT. My goal is to trade-in my week old 2014 for a 2021 model

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:25 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
Thanks for info Tony. As posted just above, we did get a 2019 OB Limited with Eyesight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyinToronto View Post
I believe Subaru gives you 3 years free updates on the Maps. The built in car play/Android Auto support, if working properly great thing to have.
Driving around today, noticed The Tom-Tom nav system has speed limits wrong in our area. New car, so presumably we have latest updates.

Quote:
I fix vehicles for a living and i can tell you sunroofs are pain the butt to repair.
I have fixed a couple on our Benzes. That's why I didn't really want one!

Quote:
Not sure where you live, but i would not upgrade the tires at the dealer. Keep the nice rims-tires that come with it and invest dedicated set winter tires.
Good advice, but we are going to use the AW tires. Only winter driving will be in January for 1/2 a day to get from Kingston South out of snow belt.

Quote:
Not sure where you getting those amounts, seem way high.
I was concerned about the amounts posted in this forum. $480 for "B" and $1250 for "D". However, I received a service pamphlet from dealer that greatly reduces the service requirements from the ones in the Subaru warranty/Maintenance book. No requirement for service every 6 month, just every 10k km. In first 50k km, 4 $95 "A" services and one $300 "B". Seems a lot for the "B", but they say it takes 2.5hrs and includes dismantling and lubing the brakes. Not sure about need after 30k km, but might go with it anyway.

Quote:
Lots of different vehicles to pick from. Only suggestion i can offer, wait another year for the 2020 model, will be built different chassis, hopefully will have the 2.4T and upgraded CVT. My goal is to trade-in my week old 2014 for a 2021 model
Once 3 yr warranty is up on 2019 at end of 2021, maybe will look at that too!

post #183 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 PM
LAP

New g4 owner from Montreal. not many people form the east coast it seems!
post #184 of 186 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Premier
Garage
Hi all,

Toronto
2018 OB Premier with eyesight, Dark Blue Pearl
and 2016 Tiguan

previously 2005 VW Jetta wagon TDI really liked that car a lot but the OB seems to be a capable car just thirstier.

2018 Outback Premier 2.5 Dark Blue pearl
post #185 of 186 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:56 AM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5L
Hey there,

East Coast New Brunswicker here,

Or a Brit in Canada, 2013 white Outback bought new and sitting at 137,000 km's and a 2010 Forester XT bought used 2017 rebuilt at 143K now at 175K. Both cars very happy in all this snow and ice!
post #186 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:06 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R LTD w/Tech
Just joined ... finalized the deal on a 2017 OB 3.6R LTD with Tech this morning and will be picking it up next week.

In the Toronto / Mississauga / Oakville area.

Was a 15+ year Saab guy ... who got into Saabs when trying to buy an Outback all those years ago (but they were too damned expensive used!!!).
President of the Saab Club of Canada for about 12 years, so I will be looking for a local club to join ... if there is such a thing that isn't focused on the WRX / STI crowd. :-(

I'm already looking to swap out the rear anti-sway bar and links and will have to order a cell phone holder (will wait until I have the car for that).

I currently have a 2009 Saab 9-7X 5.3i with 300,000 kms on it that I will be selling certified and e-tested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	595cf89711103e8740903bd33c3d7947.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	448311  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: