web site abnormalities - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That particular image was from IE, yes. However, It looks identical to that with Chrome or Edge. Those are the only other browsers I have available. I used IE for that shot because I had not used it at all before, and wanted to see if it was happening to me regardless of browser.

So far today I haven't been taken to posts that I have already read. And that is on two different computers.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
If you jump to the permalink of a particular post you will not get the header, it will be like you have scrolled down to it.
(and all you will see is the google plus and facebook like buttons visilbe,.. unlike on yours mine on chrome keeps the page # buttons though).

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

But that link isn't available on the post listings, is it? I'm just using the first unread post link. It's the chevron icon at the front of the thread name. See attached image. That's what is taking me to the post but cutting the first line of the post off, along with the header.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	393337  

Dan

post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
But that link isn't available on the post listings, is it? I'm just using the first unread post link. It's the chevron icon at the front of the thread name. See attached image. That's what is taking me to the post but cutting the first line of the post off, along with the header.
when I click the chevron link on the active topics list it jumps to the last post,

when I just click the words in the thread title I get the top of the thread including the regular header. (which is what I do,...I never click the chevrons,...too small to bother with vs. the whole long thread title).

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

I understand your choice. I like the functionality that takes me to the first unread message, and use it on every forum I visit. I'm just surprised at the way it positions that first message on the screen. I've not seen this behavior on any other forum, and I frequent quite a number of them.

And that still doesn't explain why on occasion it will show a thread as unread when in fact I have read every post in that thread, often even on the same computer and the same browser. Puzzling...

Dan

post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Here's two screen shots that show what's missing when I use the First Unread link. The upper part of the image shows how it originally appears when the page opens. The lower portion is what you see when I click the up button on my keyboard twice, to bring the top of the post into view. You can see that two whole lines of the post are hidden, along with the post info line (post number and date/time). With posts that are only a single line of text, nothing is visible without scrolling up. Just very curious...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen cap.png
Views:	31
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	393433  

Dan

post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Garage
Thanks for sending the screenshots @atc98092. I've been trying to recreate all of the issues that you've reported and have not been fully successful, although I have noted a few things. When I access the site in Chrome, I can click on the chevron icon and it takes me to the top of the last read post (with nothing cut off). When I click the title of the thread, it takes me to the very first post (not the last unread). When I go back to the main forum page, the chevron still shows up even after reading the post(s), however it does disappear if I refresh the page.

When I access the site using Firefox, I get slightly different behaviour. When I click on the chevron, it takes me to the latest posts, but the page jumps a couple of times as the ads on the page are loading. The second 'jump' results in the view that you see (top 2 lines of the post missing), however, once the ads have all loaded, it returns to a regular/full view of the most recent post. Just makes me wonder whether the view you are seeing is ad related. Did you mention if you are using an ad-blocker or not?

I should also note that in Firefox, the chevron/bold title does not disappear on its own, rather only after refreshing the page (like in Chrome).

You're right. It's definitely a bit puzzling and worth taking a closer look at. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing the same issues or if it's an isolated situation. Anyone else want to chime in?

Cheers,

Erik

Test
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

On my personal computer, I have an ad blocker (Stands) on Chrome but not Edge, and the same behavior happens on both. On my work computer there's no blocker on Chrome or IE. They don't let us have that much control of the computer!

Dan

post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Garage
Hey Atc,

I went through some of your previous responses and when Nate asked you to clear your cache and cookies, you did not confirm if you had done so. Can you clear them and then test it again to ensure we're running on fresh items?

- JB

Test
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi JB. No, I didn't clear cache at that time, although I have done a partial clearing on one of the computers. If the problem was solely on a specific computer using only one brand of browser, I could see the potential to fix it that way. But I had the same problem on multiple computers, even the very first time I opened the forum on that computer, regardless of browser. Every computer displays the posts identically. The computer I'm on right now had never been on this forum until yesterday, and the very first post I opened did the same thing. So this is four different computers, two different OSs (Windows 7, Windows 10) and three different browsers (IE 11, Chrome and Edge). It's just baffling.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: