web site abnormalities - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK, came home and opened the same forum (Gen 5). Using the same browser (Chrome), although my work computer blocks me from logging the server into my Gmail account. Naturally, everything worked perfectly. I'll see what happens when I check one more time from a different computer at home, and then tomorrow morning when I get to work.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Went upstairs, using a different Windows 10 computer, still with Chrome. My last post here was at 5:36PM Pacific. When I opened the Gen 5 forum, there was a post from me made at 5:32PM that was shown as unread, along with 7 older threads that I had already marked read. When I opened the thread that I had posted to (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post5550761 was the URL), instead of taking me to the last post (mine), it opened on the very first post. My post was the 4th (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post5551273).

The two threads that actually had unread posts: when I clicked the "first new post" icon, instead of taking me to the posts that were made after 5:30, it instead opened posts from 1:20 PM (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post5550617) and 1:19 PM(https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post5550601). The actual unread posts were from after 6PM Pacific (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post5551369 and https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post5550601).

I hope this is enough detail to give some clues to what's happening. As a reminder, I have switched back to the default forum theme.

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Well, after two days of testing, it was looking fine, until I came home this afternoon. The last time I marked the forum read was just before 1PM Pacific on my work PC. It is now 2:36, and I'm home. Same browser (Chrome), but when I open the forum I find "unread" posts back to 9:32AM this morning, for a total of 10 messages.

Only four were actually unread. But even when I opened the ones I knew contained unread posts, three took me to posts I had marked read earlier this morning, while one took me to the only new post.

Every time I use the "Mark Forum Read" function, but I can reload the page after I do that and it will sometimes still show unread messages, including my own posts.

I see four other auto sites that are owned by this company that I have used in the past or continue to use (PassatWorld, ClubTouareg, Fourtitude and VWVortex) and have never encountered this before. In addition, I use TDIClub, AVSForums, Roku and Serviio forums (admin of Serviio) and it doesn't happen with them either. It's certainly puzzling...

Dan

post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

OK, here's a real puzzlement. Working from home today, so have access to more than one PC at the same time. Read the forum on my work laptop and used the Forum Tools to mark the forum as read. Reloaded the page on the same computer, and it shows only two unread threads that were just updated. Perfect.

Open the forum on my home computer. This was about 10 minutes after I marked the forum as read. It shows everything unread as if the work computer had never connected. I just again marked everything as read with the work PC. Refreshing the page on the home PC still shows over two dozen unread threads. The work PC shows the entire forum as read.

Dan

post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Garage
That is how it's supposed to work. The site uses Cookies to track what you have and have not read. Some of the sites in our network that you use track by marking in the Database, so that no matter what computer you check from, your viewing history remains intact.

I can change it, but it would change it for everyone. Would need some feedback before doing such a thing

Kevin

Test
post #46 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'm good with that change if it will more accurately show which threads have been read (up-to-date). But will it affect anything else?
post #47 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

If it was browser specific, as I would expect cookies to be, that doesn't explain why the same computer using the same browser still has issues. But in any case, I would be all in favor of the system recognizing my read threads and carry that information across different browsers and computers. As I've said, I've never encountered a forum that did it this way before, which is why I brought it up in the first place.

But plain OM has a valid question: would it cause any other change to the user environment? I can't think of anything that might, but then you know your software better than I do.

Dan

post #48 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Garage
Hey there,

It shouldn't change the user environment. It'll pretty much just help with marking forums read.
Any more feedback? Will need a bit more before I go ahead and flick the switch on

Ed

Test
post #49 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

It's strange that I can switch browsers and the threads remain marked as read, even on different computers. It's just so random that it happens sometimes, and other times the same browser on the same computer doesn't keep track. I think turning it on from your end would resolve the issue.

Turn it to 11!!!

Dan

post #50 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Garage
It could be that there are some glitches with your account. Changing the method we mark as read might clear up for you.

Just to correct Ed, there is one change that would occur. The "New Posts" page would behave a little different. Threads that are "read" get removed from that list instead of just marked as read. If you choose the specific date ranges, (last day, 2 days ago, etc.) then you get around that quirk.

Tagging in some mods for input.

Kevin

Test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: