Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Website problems and issues (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/36-website-problems-issues/)
-   -   web site abnormalities (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/36-website-problems-issues/461474-web-site-abnormalities.html)

atc98092 12-09-2017 03:28 PM

web site abnormalities

As a new Subaru owner, I'm new to this particular forum, but not to forums in general. I am even a moderator on a computer DLNA forum. But this site has some strange behavior that I have noted over the past couple of weeks. I am using Google Chrome as my browser, but I don't think these issues are browser related.

I have my settings at 40 posts per page. But I have noticed that this setting doesn't carry over to the sub-forums pages themselves. I only see 20 threads per page. On a particularly busy day, even checking the forum several times a day, the new/unread threads often spill over to the next page.

Clicking the Forum Tools link at the top of the forum causes the drop-down menu to open, but extremely slowly. I encountered this same behavior at AudiWorld, which appears to use the same forum software. They recently made some changes (updates?) to their forum software and this issue went away. Again, it doesn't seem to be browser specific, nor is it tied to Internet speed.

When I click the link that is supposed to take me to the first unread post, I have seen over the past 3-4 days it is taking me to posts I have already read. Sometimes they were read on a different computer, but other times from the same computer. I am always logged into the forum when I read it.

Opening any post via the above unread link, the page opens with the upper portion of the first post off screen. I always have to move the page about 5-6 lines up to see the top of the post. I have never seen this behavior on any other forum that I frequent. This includes AVSForums, TDIClub, Roku and Serviio, along with a few others I don't visit as frequently.

Any options? Suggestions? Not wanting to come here as a new user and start bitching, but these little things can be annoying when trying to view the forum.

Thanks! :grin2:

z28dug 12-09-2017 05:23 PM

I must be missing something. Do not really understand your issue.

I use chrome and all I ever click is the 'New Posts' button to get all the posts since last time I marked posts as read.

I also us AdBlock Plus, which make a big difference to performance.

atc98092 12-09-2017 05:33 PM

I don't have Ad Block + installed, but I'll give that a try. But when I click the icon that takes me to the first unread message in a thread (it's the icon at the very beginning of the thread title) it doesn't usually take me to the first unread (anywhere from 1-4 threads that I've already read), and the message it does open to is about two lines off the top of the browser window, so I have to scroll the page down to see the first line or two. It happens practically every time, including just now when I opened this thread.

eagleeye 12-09-2017 05:47 PM

I usually use a laptop or a desktop, the phone version of this site just plain sucks:

lots of different "thread display options" under this

tab (scroll down to find the things below):

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...do=editoptions

things I have there now:

all three boxes clicked for show signature, show avatar, show images).

linear newest first. (eliminates scrolling)

posts per page: I am on forum default, but you could have 40.

show all threads, (old stuff is still good for somethings, rare do I see antique things, but a few threads are still active from 2004)

image resize: (open "in same window" when I click on them to make them bigger, there are limits which makes the very large images tolerable I have mine set on 533 width, and 300 height....until I click on them).

and I keep the site on full dark theme, saves power, and is nicer on my eyes.

traildogck 12-09-2017 05:54 PM

One thing mentioned that I have experienced is read/unread threads.

In my case it is definitely multiple laptops. With me, my own thread will show on a search in bold if I have not read the latest post. Sometimes, only sometimes if I move to another computer, I have to open it or it will still be in bold.

Another thing that happens only sometimes. I will get a new post quote notification, when I quote someone else. Well, who cares. The notifications are for when I get quoted. And again, this only happens sometimes.

atc98092 12-09-2017 07:27 PM

eagleeye, thanks for the suggestions. I tried setting newest first, but that made the problem even worse when I click the "first unread" icon. But the dark setting does look nicer. I've been on the same computer all day, and it keeps loading onto posts I have already read today (more than once!). Something about this forum software that just doesn't behave properly. I'll have to try Edge (since this is a Win 10 computer) just to try a different browser.

I also have to note that the Unread icon is appearing even when I've already read every post in that particular thread. Just really strange...

atc98092 12-09-2017 07:40 PM

OK. Marked the entire forum as read in Chrome. Opened Edge on the same computer and logged into the site. Then went to the same forum. It showed almost a dozen threads as unread. Something is off kilter with the forum software.

And with Edge, opening a thread using the first unread icon does the same thing that Chrome does, namely loading the post with the header and the first two lines of the post off the top of the forum window. So it's not a browser issue.

EDIT: noticed that when I added this post, it did the same thing, with the header and the first two lines of the post above the top of the forum window. So there's something about how it's tagging the top of the post in the HTML for loading directly to that post.

eagleeye 12-09-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atc98092 (Post 5247962)
eagleeye, thanks for the suggestions. I tried setting newest first, but that made the problem even worse when I click the "first unread" icon. But the dark setting does look nicer. I've been on the same computer all day, and it keeps loading onto posts I have already read today (more than once!). Something about this forum software that just doesn't behave properly. I'll have to try Edge (since this is a Win 10 computer) just to try a different browser.

I also have to note that the Unread icon is appearing even when I've already read every post in that particular thread. Just really strange...

I don't look at the icons, I just look at the ones in "bold" lettered ones denoting that I have not clicked on them with the computer I am working with.

I just keep clicking and refreshing the "active topics" link on the top of the screen, keeps things simple. occasionally I look under individual forums.

I am not sure swapping browsers is going to make much difference on your forum viewing.

I never used MS edge. or apple safari, ...I typically stick with chrome and firefox. 2 is good to keep track of.

eagleeye 12-09-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atc98092 (Post 5247986)
OK. Marked the entire forum as read in Chrome. Opened Edge on the same computer and logged into the site. Then went to the same forum. It showed almost a dozen threads as unread. Something is off kilter with the forum software.

And with Edge, opening a thread using the first unread icon does the same thing that Chrome does, namely loading the post with the header and the first two lines of the post off the top of the forum window. So it's not a browser issue.

I think what is read saves in the individual browser as session cookies in the cache of the browser.

so if you switch browsers such usage data may not be in the computer but in the browser.

same would happen if you dump out the cookies / cache of the browser, or toss the whole thing without saving anything and download a clean version with nothing to load into it.

above is what I think, ...have not had to discuss or describe such things in several years though.

atc98092 12-09-2017 07:49 PM

The bold lettering matches when the unread thread icon appears, so they both show the same thing. And that means I see the bold text on threads that I have already read and there are no unread posts in it.

Since you have yours set to newest, you would have to scroll down to see if there's any posts you haven't read and the newest post. Not saying your way is wrong. Whatever works for you.

Again, I hope I'm not coming across as a complainer (although I suppose I am!). I just know how the forum software is supposed to work with these particular functions. Hopefully the site admin can research the issues.