Unknown noise coming from rear end. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2004 Subaru Outback Station-wagon and a 2002 Holden Commodore sedan
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unknown noise coming from rear end.

Have a 74,000 k Outback and its starting to develop a strange noise that seems to be coming from the rear end.
Wondering do the 2004 Outbacks have a common fault involving the rear end. On Wednesday we took the Outback for a 800 klm drive and all seemed well, drove beautifully. This morning when going to the dawn service we hopped in and noticed the noise when cold and seems to be less of a noise after 10 klms.
I'm thinking its a bearing but whats strange is that's its only done a gentle 74,000 ks.
Anyone in the know or might have experienced such a noise.

Step right up, chum, and watch the kid lay down a rubber road right to freedom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
time takes its toll as well as miles. rubber and grease breaks down, rust creeps etc.

has the timing belt system been serviced? if not, it's a ticking time bomb.

can you describe the noise?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:59 AM

Car: Outback 2001/11 . 2.5AT . VDC .
Garage
I have it too but i think maybe its my tires because i changed bearing changed axle and nothing changed still wining when going more then 80 km/h and after 100km speed steering starts vibrate.
All wheels done balancing, alignment. So what else left ? Why vibrate at higher speed. ?
Heard that axles can do vibrating too but how to know which one?

OBW '01 / H4 SOHC 2.5 / 4EAT / VDC / rear LSD / LPG conversion / 2'' top strut spacers lift / BFG TA KO2 215/65 R16 /GC - 10.2''/26cm
both sway bars removed
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, I'm thinking I'll start with the rear hubs and have the axles rebuilt and then if the noise is still there then its gotta be the differential.
2,000 ks ago we had new genuine 5 spoke rims fitted along with a set of the Yokohama Geolander All Terran tyres and no noise until a couple of days ago so that rules out the tyres.

Noise is coming from the rear and when cold it sounds like a humming/whiring noise and once the mechanical's are at normal operating temperature it quietens down.
The sound isn't bad so I'll jack it up and put on stands and get started on her before the 6 hot months come a knocking.

Yes am aware of the timing belt wear they develop and have a Gates replacement kit for when that day comes the belt and assembly needs replacing, have looked up the procedure on YouTube and it looks straight forward. At the same time I'll have the radiator tested and replace the heater and radiator hoses.

Last edited by Specialized29er; 04-25-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
when was the last time you checked the rear diff?

when was the last time it was drained/ filled?

what grade lube is in there. ?

any chance its got some water in it from being driven though some (like streams/ beaches/ flooded road / boat ramp)

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've only had the car for a year and before that my Mum owned the car and only drove it to church, indoor bowls and grocery shopping.
In the time I've had the car I've only driven it to take Mum to the Doctors, shopping, nothing rough, no off road and no water.
Except for replacing the fuel tank/pump and filler neck all I've done is service the engine and transmission, upgraded the audio and changed over to LED headlights.
I haven't checked the differential oil but was thinking of doing this once its jacked up and on the stands, never know if might be low but do doubt that since the car has only ever been serviced by Subaru every 10,000 ks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subaru - 2004 25.04.19.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	450671  

Step right up, chum, and watch the kid lay down a rubber road right to freedom!

Last edited by Specialized29er; 04-25-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Editing
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check the brakes for hung up debris or pads hanging against the rotors somewhere or very minor changes in the noise before/after braking.

wheel bearing.

driveshaft carrier bearing or ujoints are culprits too but the ujoints would produce vibration rather than noise, or both.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:34 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Before you start taking things apart, get all the wheels off the ground and with the car in Neutral check for vertical play in the wheel assemblies by grabbing the top and bottom of the tyre at the same time and try to move it. If there's no movement, put one hand on the strut spring and spin the wheel with the other and feel for vibration. If there's vibration traveling through the strut, or one of the control arms, then the bearing is worn.

While it's up, and if it's up high enough to roll under the car, if you have a helper have him/her put the car in gear and let it roll idling and get under there and listen for noise from the rear diff. I don't believe you'll have any. It would be a great idea to change the rear diff fluid. Every 30k miles tops.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:42 AM

Car: Outback 2001/11 . 2.5AT . VDC .
Garage
what if i changed rear bearing on one side and axle on same side and its still whining when getting to more speed .coud it be tires just when they worn out some now and become just more noisy ?
but i tried changed rear tires to front ones and its still same sound from rear and not front.
changed rear diff oil about month ago too. so whats left ?

OBW '01 / H4 SOHC 2.5 / 4EAT / VDC / rear LSD / LPG conversion / 2'' top strut spacers lift / BFG TA KO2 215/65 R16 /GC - 10.2''/26cm
both sway bars removed
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalman View Post
what if i changed rear bearing on one side and axle on same side and its still whining when getting to more speed
is the noise central or from the corner?
sit in the back....i've even sat in the trunk area once with my head to the floor to verify it was the corner (ended up being wheel bearing)
you should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the corner or centrally located.

does it sound like a bearing? or could it be rubbing?

has it always had this noise since you owned it or it?
did it start after any work?
was this car ever in an accident?

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: