Sommer's Subaru (Mequon, WI) - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Car: '12 Outback Ltd 3.6R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I purchased my Outback from Sommer's two weeks ago. I was very impressed how low key and "no high pressure" they were. Base cost of vehicle was very good, installed options (splash guards, wheel arch moldings, bodyside moldings, and rear bumper cover) were competitive. I was a little disappointed in the amount I was offered for my trade and had to haggle but I eventually got close to what I wanted.

Overall, I'd recommend them.

'12 Outback Limited 3.6R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Car: 2005 2.5i Outback
Thumbs down Sommer's Subaru repair pricing is ridiculous. Save your money!

My experience with Sommer's Subaru in Mequon, WI, in a nutshell:

Seriously, they wanted to charge $520 for the oxygen (upstream) sensor replacement. Said the part itself was $240 or something like that. Found it on Amazon for $98.

We have the 2005 Outback 2.5i so naturally it is leaking oil from the head gaskets. They wanted $1800 for that job, and when I told them we already had the timing belt done they only knocked off $100!

Took it to a local guy we trust from past work, he had some experience with Outback head gaskets so we had him do the head gasket job and he put in the oxygen sensor for us for FREE! All together he charged us $1297. Compare that to the $2300 it would have been at Sommer's for both the HG repair and O2 sensor. A WHOLE GRAND! Sorry Sommer's you will not be taking us for anymore rides, and I wouldn't even buy our next Subaru from you just on principal.

Ed, I'm not your average fool. Now I want my super sports wagon now, or I'm gonna take my business elsewhere!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM

Car: 2005 2.5i Outback
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
We have the 2005 Outback 2.5i so naturally it is leaking oil from the head gaskets. They wanted $1800 for that job, and when I told them we already had the timing belt done they only knocked off $100!
CORRECTION: It was not Sommer's Subaru who told me they would only knock $100 off the HG repair because the timing belt was already done. It was another Milwaukee area Subaru dealer I called for a HG repair estimate. My apologies to Sommer's about this oversight. I'm sure Sommer's would have been happy negotiate considering the circumstances.

Also I must add we have had other service done at Sommer's on our 2005 Outback, including wheel bearings replacement, coolant, differentials and tranny flush, brakes, timing belt, wheel rotation/balance and clamps put on the exhaust to keep the heat shields from rattling. Their service dept is very friendly and all of these repairs were done very quickly and the quality of work is high with no problems afterward. Andy and Mark are both very nice and helpful.

Also, I firmly believe SOA should offer to help pay for every HG failure on every Subaru. I know that is crazy talk but it is such an early failure in most cases which proves it is something they should own up to. I can't believe how everyone sort of gives Subaru a free pass on such an expensive issue that occurs at relatively low mileage compared to other cars (I know, I know, it's because the horizontally opposed engine design has the gasket sitting in fluids 24/7 - it's still ridiculous IMO). That being said I have seen other posts on here where Sommer's in cooperation with SOA have helped pay for HG repairs, as long as you bring it up and can prove that you maintained the car with invoices of your maintenance history or something like that. We bought the car used (not from Sommer's) so we considered ourselves SOL on proving it was maintained properly so we decided to just go with a local mechanic.

Ed, I'm not your average fool. Now I want my super sports wagon now, or I'm gonna take my business elsewhere!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 07:02 AM

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
I would have to change my previous post of Sommers service to a negative unfortunately.
Since that initial visit it has been a litany of issues.
The last was I had some service done in January, and they didn't do everything I asked them to do.
I only found this out days later when I was filing the invoice.
I typically change my own oil but considering it was January, I had them do that to.
Well, I changed the oil later and the filter was screwed on so tight it was actually leaking a little.
I had to go buy a filter wrench to get it off, it really made me quite angry.

So I will be going to Wilde or Subaru City from now on. It's just always a clusterfeck whenever I take my car to Sommers.

I would probably still buy from them, but considering I won't go to their service dept, I probably would just pass on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:59 AM
SubaruOutback.org Founder

Car: 2018 Outback Package 14 Grey/Grey
Garage
I wanted to report that two people have informed me recently that after having submitted a credit application at Sommer's Subaru they have become victims of identity theft. I have tried to research this further and it appears that they may have some internal security issues.

I take this issue quite seriously as I have personally been a victim of identity theft three times in my life, three times that I am aware of. If anyone would like recommendations to help them purchase a vehicle in this area please feel free to contact me directly.

9/22/18 EDIT: Another person has contacted me about issues with Sommers Subaru, they said they had signed a purchase agreement contract and then when they were completing their paperwork some extra fees were added into their deal that Sommer's staff could not account for. The customer stated that they were offered a half price 3M protection package and it sounds like to me that Sommer's was seeking to recoup the money they discounted. The customer walked out and purchased elsewhere.

"I am skeptical of the skeptics." - G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by Kevin; 09-22-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: 9/22/18 addition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: