Sommer's Subaru (Mequon, WI) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i AWP Graphite Gray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sommer's Subaru (Mequon, WI)

I recently purchased my 2011 Outback from Sommer's Subaru located 15-20 minutes north of Milwaukee and cannot say enough how great of an experience it was. In general, I tend to be salesman-averse and therefore turned off by the whole car-buying experience. However, Sommer's does not use the sleazy car salesman approach with their customers.

Although I currently reside in Illinois, my roots are in the Dairy State and this (among other factors) motivated my search out-of-state. They have a strong and well-maintained internet sales department which was the starting point for my relationship with the dealership. They participate in the Costco auto-buying program, and, although I am a Costco member, I initiated the transaction through the Drive your Dream Friends and Family program through Zag.

If you are in the market, contact Sommer's and ask for Grant Sommer. Great guy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Car: 2000 OB Limited 2.5 na 103,000 miles
Send a message via Yahoo to duelly95
I'm new to the Subaru family, just purchased a 2000 OB limited from a small lot here in Racine Wi. Do you know anything about Sommer's service or parts dept's ? just wondering if you or anyone had any insight incase I choose to go with a dealer for parts since i do all my own maint. I'm like a kid with a new toy since last friday when i picked this thing up, It's a blast to drive. Thanks for any info you might have as to parts purchases i may need.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5 Ltd
Thumbs down NOT GOOD (walked away)

Sommer's -- not a good experience for me!

I'll refrain from using names, but only 1 person there seemed genuine and unfortunately several others were not. The sole "good" person was not invovled my discussions.

I came armed with a list of in stock vehicles and prices, including web-pricing, from 3 other dealers. The salesman I spoke with took them from me (did not return them at the end of conversation either) and proceeded to go through his deal.

#1 - I initially wanted a Ruby Red Ltd 2.5. They had 3 on their website. None were actually on the lot NOR found to be in transit.

#2 - He tried to convince me that a Ruby Red Premium 2.5 was just as good and he could "add in" a sunroof and 20+ leather color choices from a local after market installer.

#3 - After my shock, we got into pricing and were initially $2,500 apart. We ended at $1,500 apart.

#4 - While he was "working the numbers", I overheard a collegue of his talking to the new car manager about a client who wanted a specific trim car from the factory. The saleperson immediately dismissed the client's request since no such car was readily available. Instead, he planned to put on all the extra trim at the dealer (which the client expressed he did not want due to removal of parts, potential rattles, etc...). The manager agreed to sell the car with the dealer installed pieces and call it "factory installed" to convince the buyer.

Got mine from Wilde in Waukesha for the right amount, albeit a different color (but at least we had an honest discussion about availability rather than switch me into a different trim level).

-Roadie Rob

'11 Outback 2.5 Ltd w/ moon (#4) self-installed: 19mm sway bar, rear bumper cover, splash guards, body side molding, rear chrome gate trim, puddle lights, leather AT shift knob, rear & side cargo nets

'08 Sky Redline 2.0 DI Turbo
'07 Sky 2.4L Stage 2 Hahn Turbo
'06 Vue V6 AWD
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5 Ltd
UPDATE - better experience 2nd time around

Well, how times and opinions have changed?

GG_Subie_OB is right - ASK FOR GRANT (he was the "unnamed helpful" in my prior rant).

Subie #5 (2011 Forester Touring 2.5X) will soon be my wife's new car. Deal struck on Labor Day Monday (yes, they were open), and pick up Saturday 9/9.

I think the issue is down to style / age / culture. I'm an early Gen-X'er (late 30's) and do not haggle, nor have a lot of time to BS around, nor will be pushed into a car I did not initially want. I have ample income, know exactly what I want for the price, and have better things to do than sit in a dealership while tracks are made in the carpet back-and-forth with a fictional finance guy.

The prior folks were a bit seasoned and seemed to carry on with old-school car salesman mentality. This time around, Grant made a great impression on my wife and also changed my view of Sommer's overall.

So lesson learned - it may not be the dealer that is the issue...just ask for another salesperson who "gets you".

-Roadie Rob

'11 Outback 2.5 Ltd w/ moon (#4) self-installed: 19mm sway bar, rear bumper cover, splash guards, body side molding, rear chrome gate trim, puddle lights, leather AT shift knob, rear & side cargo nets

'08 Sky Redline 2.0 DI Turbo
'07 Sky 2.4L Stage 2 Hahn Turbo
'06 Vue V6 AWD
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
Got mine from Sommer's too and it was a very good experience.
I think I got a great price and they were very motivated to beat the quote I had from Wilde Subaru.
They also took the kids for a ride in the courtesy cart to the drainage pond to see the frogs and let them drive too.
But seriously, a good experience.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 PM

Car: '09 2.5i OB with about 54K
Jeremy is good to deal with as well, just picked up my second Subie from him.

Tony
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
Another bump for Sommer's.
Great service dept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 PM

I bought my 2010 Outback 2.5 from Sommer's in Mequon and it was a great experience. I don't recall who my salesman was but he was not pushy and was only helpful.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM

Bought mine there also, good experience, worked with a guy named Joe. It is likely they could be beat down on price some more, was ok with the deal. Have not been back since, have all service done near home 100 miles away. My service experience has been great, even though they did not sell me the car. My first Subaru, don't know as if I would buy another, at 38,000 miles no major problems yet.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 2.5
Summer's was a ok experience. I had to travel 140 miles to get there and promises were not kept. Good Subaru dealers are hard to find, many in rural America are like a dairy farms with cars. For one good point, they have a huge selections, row after row, and then more back into a field. The relatively new sales manager wasn't well versed in Subaru, perhaps Buick. Anyhow, they beat me up a bit with a one year old trade in. Note, when I called in advanced to purchase my Subaru, they quoted me KBB trade in. Then the old, we can't take your German unit, we have to find a buyer-after all it was a 130 mph top end sedan. I was about to walk out, but I'm happy with my Outback.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: