Subaru Outback Forums banner

Prolightz DRL Harness

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  TheDirtyNympher 
#1 ·
I installed the Prolightz DRL harness today.

https://www.prolightz.com/subaru/imp...l-harness.html

I had emailed them with these questions:
1. Do the fog lights operate at full power = yes
2. Will it work HID’s or LED bulbs = yes
3. Order with matching plug for the fog lights (2013 OB - H11)
4. I Ordered the '12 Impreza DRL harness

Here is a quick video I made. Just copy and paste the link in your browser to view. Gotta say I love it. Hated the yellowish looking factory DRL. I also plan on installing HID's and a Light bar in the bumper

vimeo.com/256681678

Hope this is helpful for some.

Haters need not reply. :grin2:

#2 ·
Thanks for posting this mod:29: It might be my best option since I "lost" normal DRL function post LED-upgrade. The LEDs run at full brightness even at the reduced voltage of the DRL circuit which means I'm blinding other drivers during the day. I've been driving with low beams on during daylight, which isn't any better.

Looking through some other threads and the instructions posted on the Prolightz site, I'm having trouble figuring our where the "DRL resister" is located in our vehicles and how best to access it. Did you have to remove the front bumper for this mod? I'm hoping to wire all this up with minimal disassembly, perhaps just the engine air duct on the passenger side?

I emailed Prolightz, they recommended I get the "15+ WRX/STI" harness since that has the H11 plugs that fit our Gen4 Fog lights. I'm not what the "input" option refers to, Fogs (H11) or High Beams (9005). I"m assuming it's 9005 but dont want to order until I get some clarification from them.

On a side note, even though your post is less than two months old and the Prolightz link is already broken. Here's the current: https://www.prolightz.com/subaru-fog-light-drl-harness.html

Reactions: TheDirtyNympher
#3 ·
The input is for the matching plug/bulb that are used with your fog lights (2013 OB has "H11")
Make sure to get the Morimoto resistor (only 1 is needed) It will eliminate the high beam led "flicker"

#4 ·
They just got back to me, you're correct it's the H11 we need. I'll get the resister as well, thanks for the heads-up.

How difficult was it to access the DRL resistor... or am I confused and no longer need to use the stock resistor if I'm using the one from Prolightz?

#7 ·
They are two totally different different resistors.

The Morimoto one will plug in to one of your high beam bulbs (doesn't matter which one) it helps eliminate low wattage flicker from your led bulb. The subaru resister is what activates the factory DRL mode. The factory resistor is the one you will be removing and setting aside. The new ProLightz kit will plug into there. The instructions are detailed.

You will need to remove your front bumper facia, its very easy.
There are vids on Youtube also on how to remove the bumper facia.

#5 ·
Oh sorry missed your question about the resistor. Once you remove your bumper you will see the resistor located next to the washer reservoir, under the headlight on the driver side. Thats where I also mounted the relay harness for the kit. You cant miss it.

#6 ·
Thanks for answering my questions...

Do you think I can get away with removing the wheel and rolling back the wheel well cover instead of removing the bumper? I had to remove the rear bumper to install the hitch and I have terrible luck with the plastic clips and tabs.

Do you replace the factory resistor with the Prolightz resistor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.