Subaru Outback Forums banner

Headlamp modification (H11 to H9 retrofit)

103K views 148 replies 61 participants last post by  Centriukas 
#1 ·
I have owned my 2015 Outback for a few months now. I honestly dont have many complaints about it. I'm going to HATE hearing how much better the 2016's with direct injection are... the ultra tiny clock under the temp controls is so bizarre, its like they added the feature to spite us....and then there's the low beam headlamp performance on the 2.5s......

Night driving with this car is kind of a pain in the ass. I wish the HID option was available for all trims, but it isnt, in fact, it should be standard across the board.
Instead of attempting to install aftermarket HIDs, I read about taking a hi-beam bulb from other auto applications (the H9) and retrofitting it into our low beams.
I will post my experience from this project in this forum as I get results :D

#141 ·
OK, here's something I haven't seen addressed in this thread. I have a 2018 2.5 Premium Outback, and several months ago, I read this thread and bought the Phillips H9 bulbs. Today, I finally got around to doing the mods (removing the extra plastic tab and trimming the top metal tab). Then I go to insert the first one, and it won't fit in the bulb opening. I compare the ones in the OB now with the new H9s and they are completely different at the base. The OEM ones are much smaller in diameter and the red rubber seal is further down in the socket. Even the part that attaches to the wiring harness is different. WTH? I thought the OB came with H11s, but these don't look like H11s... What the heck are these, and what higher lumen bulbs can I replace them with?

In the pics the OEM bulbs are on the left, the Phillips H9s on the right.

Attachments

#142 ·
I thought the OB came with H11s, but these don't look like H11s... What the heck are these ...
The 2019 Owners Manual says H11 is still original equipment (halogen low beams only). Are you sure that's the low-beam lamp you pulled? Per the OM, OE halogen high beams are HB3.

Reactions: SubieGrl
#144 ·
Are you sure that's the low-beam lamp you pulled? Per the OM, OE halogen high beams are HB3.
Ah...that's it. Duh. LOL I was in a bit of a rush and just pulled the first one I saw, not thinking about the fact that there is more than one on each side. :grin2: I haven't replaced headlight bulbs before, so...rookie mistake! Oh well. I'd rather look stupid than have wasted $40 on the wrong bulbs! (I bought 2 pairs.)

Thank you for the assist!

#143 ·
I'm pretty sure the HB3 is a variant of the venerable 9005 high beam bulb. I believe SubiGrl pulled the wrong lamp.

All bulbs are marked on their bases. Check what you have removed.

Reactions: SubieGrl
#147 ·
Thanks, that's nice to hear. :smile2: A few months ago, I managed to replace all my interior bulbs with LEDS without much trouble (blew one fuse during the process, but otherwise it went smoothly). And I did the mod to have the center console plugs always hot.

This is the first car I've done any mods on... Next, I need to install the JDM wheel arches I bought... Wish me luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.