of older subarus pre 2008 what years are best - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
of older subarus pre 2008 what years are best

I am looking at older subarus now. I had my heart set on a 2010 premium or limited. I really like the 3.6r better then the 2.5 but the better priced low model ones go in a day so i have two questions. Of the older subarus what years are better then others? and in looking at the older subarus is low miles better than a newer model with relatively more miles? ie a 2001 one with 100000(6500 dollars) or a 2005 with 115000 (6000 dollars) or 2010 with 77000 miles with higher price still (13000) The 2001 is a one owner no accident car.
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is the 01 a 4 or 6? If its a 6 is it a VDC? I would pay more for a used VDC than I would an LL Bean. Mainly because of the VDC software and the VTD center differential. (full time AWD and no chance of torque bind issues with the VTD)

The R engine has increased torque and HP over the DOHC predecessor. The 3.6R has more torque and HP again with better fuel economy. Both have the 5EAT which is a tough transmission. And again, VTD is better over the MPT variable differential.

One owner cars are always a gem. Especially with records. 100k mile H6, if it hasn't been performed will need plugs, thermostat and flushes. Maybe struts, but generally the struts go to about 150k.

Same with the 2005. Good price. 5EAT auto and VTD.

Then, there's the area of the country your in. What does NADA or Edmund's put the value at in your zip?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
More details please on the older models. It kind of depends. But both the 2001(kind of low for the age) and the 2005 depending on maint and engine etc(kind of low to moderate)

I like Gen-2 and Gen-3. I never owned a Gen-2 but drove several as courtesy cars, recently with high miles and they're Nice. They made some leaps in the Gen-3, but I some ways the Gen-2 feels more solid...albeit heavier. MPG nannies push everything lighter. The Gen-2 seems somewhat quieter...this of course assumes all is well suspension wise in both cars.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
they're the same relative mileage...100k and 115k are the same, that difference is negligible and a wash as maintenance is more important than a 15k difference in miles.

i'd lean towards the 2005 just being newer...unless it's got 4 prior owners maybe and depending on condition.

05's eat up control arm bushings, have them inspected:
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...bushing-2.html

05-09's also have "ghostwalking" which i'm unfamiliar with:
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ing-fixes.html

05's only - that year - some have a catalytic converter recall:
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ice-wvm23.html

i'm not making the 05 sound very appealing, but those aren't that big of a deal and i'd lean towards newer depending on overall condition, etc.

if you live in rust prone areas the 05's+ may be nicer than the 01's in terms of rust underneath. a well taken care of 01 that got lucky may still be nice, just have to check.

less rust is nicer for future maintenance and probably means a lot of the rubber boots and such are in better condition too.

as far as platform only all the 4's are roughly comparable. all EJ25's have headgasket issues so make sure all external head seams are checked since they start leaking oil and/or coolant externally - it's an easy check. takes 30 seconds.

H6's are generally thought of as having less headgasket issues, though some have been reported.

the timing belts are due on both of them.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Hello, Thanks for the feedback. I am feeling good about the 01. Someone in another tread said that there wasn't a timing belt but rather a timing chain that should last the lifetime of the car. Do you know if that is true? Thanks again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
Only 6 cylinders have the chain.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by havepaddle View Post
Hello, Thanks for the feedback. I am feeling good about the 01. Someone in another tread said that there wasn't a timing belt but rather a timing chain that should last the lifetime of the car. Do you know if that is true? Thanks again.
The problem is you're not telling us anything about the vehicles so we really have no idea. From 2001 - 2010 engines are:

6 cylinders have a chain, not a belt, so there's no maintenance.
4 cylinder engines have a belt and do require timing belt replacement.

so - if the 2001 is a 6 it has a chain, if it's a 4 it has a belt. same with 05...and every other 2001-2010 Subaru.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi It is a H6 which i believe is a 6 cyclinder. Am driving it tonight.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM

The well maintained years doesn't matter which year you get finding one well cared for will be the challenge. subaru owners tend to be rough on their cars and I found most or at least a high percentage of them don't really keep on on oilchanges and other stuff that keeps the car healthy. Probably comes from the hippie, Greenie artsy fartsy types that for the longest time were a large portion of the Subaru customer base.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM

If I could have any older model it would be a 2008 with the BIG STITCH on the door pads. Either that or Alcantara black if you want your Subaru to scream pimp.

Uploaded with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: