Largest Legroom In Subaru Wagons and solid Cargo cover? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was just pointing out that Foresters are not as small as folks think. My mother-in-law's has a lot of headroom and (tall-ish) cargo space.

Agree with subiesailor on the top-heavy issue. Yeah, there's some body roll but, soobs are still very well-planted vehicles. If you have a reason to do so, there are mods like heavier anti-sway bars that will reduce the roll.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Forester is tall and boxy not the same as width seating room and distance between the front and rear wheels which impacts the seating room between the front and rear seats all of which are a very big deal to taller folks especially anyone who wants function rear seating room after they sit in the front seat at 6+ft tall.

Body roll vs CG location are two different things Body roll is a suspension thing as pointed out by Tex however the low CG enables Subaru to offer a smoother less stiff ride given it takes some pretty extreme situations to put the car at risk of a roll over. Soft suspensions on vehicles with high CG points make them more prone to roll over risk in emergency situations. The stiffer the suspension is the risk of roll over is diminished but the risk of the trip effect where the vehicle can trip over its wheels due to changes in traction think sliding on an icy bridge then hitting clean pavement on the other side very common cause of roll overs with taller higher CG vehicles. Same type of deal when people drift off the shoulder over correct and hit the pavement sideways and trip the SUV or pickup etc.

Subaru has started using more advanced logic often called brake vectoring which means that the traction, ABS and stability control systems are all paired up and when the systems sense that the vehicle is getting into a skid it will apply brake pressure to select tires to help get the track of the vehicle squared back up and to avoid a sideways skid. I'm not even sure if the $90,000 full size SUV's are using this tech yet given most use a throttle cut feature when the vehicle starts to get into a skid.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteusmd View Post
It sounds like the Outback has the most legroom in the standard wagon body then? And that being said, we are looking at an 04 or newer. Did they get larger at any point?
Traditionally the OB has been the largest Wagon Subaru sells (with the odd 2009 exception). However the pre 2010 OBs didn't offer much back seat room. I'm 6'3" and it was hard to fit a 10 yr old behind me in my 2008 Legacy (same platform as OB).

So, if you're looking for a family car with 2 growing kids, I would suggest looking at 2010+ if you can swing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 2.5i Outback - CVT - 2" Hidden Hitch - Sunroof - HERS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Forester XS - 5MT - Sunroof - HIS

Subies of Past:
'98 Impreza L Coupe | '05 Impreza RS | '08 Legacy GT
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Pre 2010's are tight that was the major ding against Subaru for years. You will not like the space in the rear seat and possibly the front seats in the 09 and older wagons.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Car: 2014 3.6R Limited
I found a good place to review specs of vehicles side by side, including leg room and height is True Delta.com
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
Subaru Research Site

Have you considered the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

Ours:
2002 Outback wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean no more: "Mal" 135,000 and counting.
Cloth interior swap. HIR1 high beam upgrade.
2006 Outback 2.5i wagon: "Professor Sprout" 97,000 and counting.
HIR1 high beam upgrade.

Family fleet:
2006 Outback XT Limited. 109,000 and bone stock.

Previous:
1996 Outback wagon "Solstice", totaled at 115,000.
2003 Outback wagon"Kaylee", sold at 167,000.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM

I liked some of the comparisons here Boston Subaru Dealer | Subaru Forester and Outback Comparison | Planet Subaru Hanover Massachusetts

...if you're looking at 2014s

2014 Outback 2.5l CVT - deep indigo
(picture when I get to it!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: