Subaru Outback Forums banner

Largest Legroom In Subaru Wagons and solid Cargo cover?

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Streeturchin 
#1 ·
I'm 6'4 my wife is 5'10 and our two girls are growing as well. We are looking at Subaru wagons and are wondering if we are correct in that the Outback is the largest of the wagons Subaru makes (wagons in the traditional sense as we are not interested in the models that ride higher off the ground).

Also, I am interested in getting a solid cargo cover for the rear should we go with a wagon as I have some expensive gear I travel with and would prefer it to have a solid cover on it as opposed to the cloth retractable. Does anyone know of such a thing?

#2 ·
The only larger wagon that Subaru makes is the Tribeca.
I don't know of a solid cargo cover. There would be nothing gained because if they can open the car, then they can oven the rear lift gate to get access.

You can tint the rear windows darker in most state to keep everything out of sight. To me any cargo covers scream, something is hiding under here, steel me. Plus with tinted windows, you can carry things taller then the cargo cover allows.

#3 ·
You know the outback rides just as high as most CUVs and some SUVs right? Are you looking at the newer outback or an older one. If you're looking at an older one I think you may want a legacy wagon vs an outback there essentially the same car but the legacy wagon rides at about the same height as a sedan whereas the outback is raised for extra ground clearance.

We need to know what year(s) your looking at though first.

#4 ·
Technically, Subaru no longer sells any wagons at "ordinary" suspension height. The last was the 2007 Legacy wagon.

Since then, all the wagon-bodied cars they've produced were either outbacks (lifted suspension) or 4-door hatchbacks with the 'wagon' label applied rather optimistically.

And yes, the Tribeca is the biggest they currently sell in the USA. It's lifted like an outback, but none of these cars are really that high off the ground.

Also worth pointing out- while outbacks are lifted for more clearance underneath the floor pan, the seats aren't that high relative to the ground. So you get good snow/off-road performance without sacrificing entry/exit comfort for the stature-challenged.

#5 ·
Apologies, I didn't mean suspension I meant the height of the car which makes it more top heavy. Basically we have no interest in an SUV (if it's stated as such or not) and more interest in a regular style wagon. It sounds like the Outback has the most legroom in the standard wagon body then? And that being said, we are looking at an 04 or newer. Did they get larger at any point?

As for the solid back, I am considering the window tint, and realize that if someone breaks in they will get at whatever. Just felt that a solid cover would reveal less than a fitted roll cover might, on the edges at least.

#13 ·
It sounds like the Outback has the most legroom in the standard wagon body then? And that being said, we are looking at an 04 or newer. Did they get larger at any point?
Traditionally the OB has been the largest Wagon Subaru sells (with the odd 2009 exception). However the pre 2010 OBs didn't offer much back seat room. I'm 6'3" and it was hard to fit a 10 yr old behind me in my 2008 Legacy (same platform as OB).

So, if you're looking for a family car with 2 growing kids, I would suggest looking at 2010+ if you can swing it.

#6 ·
Interior space went up a fair bit between 2009-2010 model years. Exterior size didn't change much, but many have said that the handling got a bit worse in that evolution. That said, I'm 6'4", she is 5'1" and we both like the size of my 2006.

Tons of pictures and details for all model years at cars101.com

The Subaru roll up cover has excellent coverage- it doesn't leave any significant gaps on the sides or f/r edges. In other words they did it right.

#7 ·
Forester may not be that bad - you should at least test drive one. They have decent headroom I know.

otherwise - what ^^^ they said.

Do modern soobs come with 'shock/vibration' sensors in the security system? If not, maybe aftermarket security - like the type that can send a text message to your smartphone w'ever.

Make sure the items you carry are covered by one or both policies, car insurance and homeowners insurance. Even if you have to photograph or otherwise document and list them.

Burglars usually want a "sure thing" so, cargo covers are fine. It's the folks that leave stuff in plain sight that are the most victimized.

If you want a hard cover over your cargo - get a sedan! lol!

#8 ·
Forester may not be that bad - you should at least test drive one. They have decent headroom I know.
I had always been under the impression that the Outback was smaller than the Forester. I believe that it used to be that way, or at least, there used to be an "Impreza" Outback (Outback Sport) and a "Legacy" Outback.

Now there is only the "Legacy" Outback. In 2013 anyway, the Outback was bigger than the Forester in every measurement that counted (cargo space, legroom, etc). That may have changed again in 2014, however.

Worth looking at both the Outback and Forester, but I believe the Outback is the one with more space inside.

#9 ·
The Outback is bigger. The Forester has been traditionally been based on the Impreza (think of it as an extra-tall Impreza wagon). However, the Gen3 Forster was bigger than the Gen3 Outback so in 2009, technically you are correct.... but this is more of a quirk of the model redesign. Still, the "footprint" of the outback was bigger and the Forester's space is in its height. I consider the footprint more valuable. Now the Outback is bigger... but the difference between the Gen4 Outback and the Gen4 new Forester is much smaller. In many areas then Forester is the same size (but it does not feel that way). Yes, this is the big debate between the wife (likes the Forester) and me (Outback).

Now, as far as the OP's needs. I am 6'3" and a bit. Its terrible... being a hair short of 6'4".... however, I find the new Outback comfortable enough. The older models are a bit more cramped in the back but most "mid-sized" cars of the early 00s/90s were. Most/all of my height is in my legs so legroom is important. I am no taller than my wife (5'8") sitting down so I can't comment on the upper needs. My father (6'2", 250-former college athlete) did not like the basic Legacy due to the shoulder-room area (the B piller is much thicker than other midsized cars... good for crashes not good for larger athletic-built folks).

#10 ·
Lots of miss information here.

Forester is built on the smaller Impreza platform just like the Honda CRV is built on the smaller Civic Platform.

The largest platform Subaru builds today is the Legacy Platform OB is a Legacy Wagon which has more leg room and rear seat room than the Tribeca.

Every 6+ footer I know who drove a 2010 or and newer Outback ended up getting one because it was the only smaller SUV like vehicle that they could fit in and actually be be comfortable.

Subaru also has one of the lowest CGs found on cars this is the low center of gravity weight meaning no Subaru is top heavy compared to just about every other vehicle made in the same vehicle classes.

In fact Subaru makes this low center of gravity weight a design philosophy their BRZ has the lowest CG of any mass Production built car today.

Also keep in mind that most of the small SUV's and mid sized SUV's have flunked the crash tests something that Subaru takes very seriously to the point that Subaru typically and historically designs and builds their cars to meet standards that are not even in place yet regarding crash testing standards.

The 1999 through 2009 Outbacks have tight rear seats and basically sit on the same exact platform regarding seating room due to the width and wheel base length. Subaru was beat up about this for years and years tight rear seat room compared to Toyota, Honda and Nissan alternatives Camry, Altima and Accord. 2010 Subaru did a total ground up design to more or less become the class leader in rear seat and front seat room which they did.

#11 ·
I was just pointing out that Foresters are not as small as folks think. My mother-in-law's has a lot of headroom and (tall-ish) cargo space.

Agree with subiesailor on the top-heavy issue. Yeah, there's some body roll but, soobs are still very well-planted vehicles. If you have a reason to do so, there are mods like heavier anti-sway bars that will reduce the roll.

#12 ·
Forester is tall and boxy not the same as width seating room and distance between the front and rear wheels which impacts the seating room between the front and rear seats all of which are a very big deal to taller folks especially anyone who wants function rear seating room after they sit in the front seat at 6+ft tall.

Body roll vs CG location are two different things Body roll is a suspension thing as pointed out by Tex however the low CG enables Subaru to offer a smoother less stiff ride given it takes some pretty extreme situations to put the car at risk of a roll over. Soft suspensions on vehicles with high CG points make them more prone to roll over risk in emergency situations. The stiffer the suspension is the risk of roll over is diminished but the risk of the trip effect where the vehicle can trip over its wheels due to changes in traction think sliding on an icy bridge then hitting clean pavement on the other side very common cause of roll overs with taller higher CG vehicles. Same type of deal when people drift off the shoulder over correct and hit the pavement sideways and trip the SUV or pickup etc.

Subaru has started using more advanced logic often called brake vectoring which means that the traction, ABS and stability control systems are all paired up and when the systems sense that the vehicle is getting into a skid it will apply brake pressure to select tires to help get the track of the vehicle squared back up and to avoid a sideways skid. I'm not even sure if the $90,000 full size SUV's are using this tech yet given most use a throttle cut feature when the vehicle starts to get into a skid.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.