Window Tinting - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Car: 2014 3.6R Nav/Moonroof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suntek Carbon 18% front only to match the back. Only $100. PA law is written poor and statute states you must be able to see the occupants through the windshield. There was a case in 2010 where a guy was cited for tint to be below the 70% allowed on front side windows. The 70% isn't written in the law, but some administrative table somewhere else..... anyhow.... Local courts all upheld the citation. This guy took it to the Supreme Court and the police even tried to defend that if it was night out, you wouldn't have been able to see the occupants. Supreme court overturned the ruling saying it met the law of being able to see into the vehicle. Lots of cars around PA tinted dark and haven't heard of any citations. MD is a different story where their law is written better and know of people that have had to remove their tint....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Car: 2005 3.0 LL Bean Wagon
According to DC law, where you car is registered is of no consequence. If your car is parked or driven on city streets and it's below the legal tint limit you can get a citation.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 PM

Car: 2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
Mine was tinted when I bought it. I believe they said it was 20% in the back and something weird like 38% in the front. And then there's a strip across the top of the windshield that is 20% as well. The quality of the tint and the installation are top notch. I would not recommend someone trying to do a tint installation on their own if they've never done it before.

It was legal in Utah, which is where I bought it and it was very nice to have the dark tint in Phoenix. It certainly helped keep it cooler. Now I'm in Oregon and the tint isn't needed quite as much, but I like the privacy since I don't have a cargo cover. And since the car is black, it looks pretty slick. I haven't had any problems with the police. (knocks on wood)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 radio swap with

Constant power to auxiliary 12V plugs mod

Electrical problems such as rear wiper not working, tailgate lock stop working properly, radio reception suddenly terrible or tail light/backup lights not working or fuses blowing? Check the tailgate wiring.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:01 PM

Car: 2014 3.6R Nav/Moonroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
According to DC law, where you car is registered is of no consequence. If your car is parked or driven on city streets and it's below the legal tint limit you can get a citation.
Hmmmm..... I've never heard that. I have heard that they can enforce laws of say where the car is registered to another state..... but not anything, registered any state over 70% tint can get you ticketed just because you're driving through DC. Even if that were true... you'd prob have to be doing something really stupid in the 1st place to even get the tint citation added on.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Patriot View Post
Hmmmm..... I've never heard that. I have heard that they can enforce laws of say where the car is registered to another state..... but not anything, registered any state over 70% tint can get you ticketed just because you're driving through DC. Even if that were true... you'd prob have to be doing something really stupid in the 1st place to even get the tint citation added on.
Perhaps if you think about it like this:

What if a car had an aftermarket exhaust system which is very loud? It may be 'legal' in the registered-state ... but if it may be a ticketable offense in another state.

Here in Vermont, if you have a red emergency-light on the top of your car.... even if it is NOT TURNED ON.... you better have a permit for it. This is another way for the State to get income from people who plow driveways in the winter.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 PM

Car: 2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
Quote:
Every state I have ever lived in requires that vehicles which operate on their highways meet state safety requirements. With some exceptions, such as window tinting, most states have agreed upon common rules so it doesn't cause confusion when visiting other states.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Suntek Carbon 18% front only to match the back. Only $100. PA law is written poor and statute states you must be able to see the occupants through the windshield. There was a case in 2010 where a guy was cited for tint to be below the 70% allowed on front side windows. The 70% isn't written in the law, but some administrative table somewhere else..... anyhow.... Local courts all upheld the citation. This guy took it to the Supreme Court and the police even tried to defend that if it was night out, you wouldn't have been able to see the occupants. Supreme court overturned the ruling saying it met the law of being able to see into the vehicle. Lots of cars around PA tinted dark and haven't heard of any citations. MD is a different story where their law is written better and know of people that have had to remove their tint....

Are you sure? I follow Supreme Court decisions pretty carefully, and never have I seen one for such a petty issue, such as window tinting. Perhaps it only went to the PA State Supreme Court?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post
It bears repeating to know your local laws regarding window-tinting. Here in Vermont the front door glass MUST NOT have any tinting on it. If you do tint your front windows, do not drive to a state with such laws lest you will get a ticket.

As a reminder, there was an item on the local news just a few minutes ago about someone who was pulled over for having illegeal window-tinting... they tried to run and ended up in a ditch. (It turned out to be a local lawyer- LOL)
Is it possible to buy auto glass with no tinting? I've never heard of such a thing. I thought all window glass has some tinting. Just roll your window down and notice how much more intense the light is. Last year, when I took my Alero in for inspection, I watched the shop mechanic measure light transmission through my driver's window. The result was 62% of the light passing through. So, with no after market tinting, my driver window filters out 38% of the light. I bet all cars are about like that.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHopkins View Post
Is it possible to buy auto glass with no tinting? I've never heard of such a thing. I thought all window glass has some tinting. Just roll your window down and notice how much more intense the light is. Last year, when I took my Alero in for inspection, I watched the shop mechanic measure light transmission through my driver's window. The result was 62% of the light passing through. So, with no after market tinting, my driver window filters out 38% of the light. I bet all cars are about like that.
Some of the inexpensive, el-cheepo, vehicles have crystal-clear glass. There are not many of them...but they are around.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:24 AM

@Outback1980 I think it would be good if your direct call to someone who provides Automotive Window Tinting services. I think they will give you an exact quote.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: