Thanks and will miss my 2006 Subaru Outback XT - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2006 OBXT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks and will miss my 2006 Subaru Outback XT

All,

I wanted to thank many of you for your comments and suggestions over the year(s) and in particular over the past 6 weeks as I was looking at a variety of cars. I know I will miss my 2006 Subaru Outback XT which I sold last Friday! The car had 138,300 miles and was the total package! The turbo was awesome, the panoramic sunroof is amazing, and the little things such as the extra plastic that comes from the driver and passenger sunshade to block the sun that creeps in in between normal sunshades will be missed.

After thinking about a number of vehicles including the 2015 Outback 3.6R, the Volvo V60, and Audi allroad...

I ended up getting a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. The TDI (diesel) setup in the car is amazing. Q5 TDI is equipped with Turbocharged 3-liter V-6 diesel engine, eight-speed automatic transmission and produces a massive 428 pound-feet of torque. The Q5 TDI also is supposed to get 24/31 (City/Highway) and from my limited experience it is getting a up to 40.4 on the freeway and around 27-28 in town.

Outback 2015 vs Q5

I'm not an SUV guy which shocked me with my final decision. I really wanted either the Audi allroad or the 2015 Outback 3.6R. The Allroad was knocked out early as the ride was to firm or stiff and my wife felt it was not comfortable. I did a lot of research on the specs of the allroad, 2006 Outback XT, 2015 Outback 3.6R, and the Q5 when I was told that a more fair comparison isn't the allroad but the Q5 and the Outback 3.6R based on size of vehicles including height. I actually prefer my current 2006 Outback XT height and in particular liked the 2014/2015 allroad since it was closer to my old outback.

After deciding to listen and drive the Q5 the biggest negative is that it does ride more like an SUV as we sit higher in the car. The base 2.0 Q5 was a nice ride and definitely had enough power with 220HP. However, after test driving the Q5 TDI I was blown away! The TDI feeling reminded me the first time I test drove the 2006 outback base, the V6, and finally the XT. I was sold immediately with the XT and wasn't afraid to leave my 2002 Audi A4.

As the new 2015s started hitting the dealerships I was surprised that I was able to get into some good deals on the 2014s. No significant changes were coming from the 2014 to 2015s which also made the decision slightly easier.

Interesting Facts

The shocking news to me is that the Outback 3.6 R is an overall bigger vehicle compared to the Q5. I was and still remain shocked since I see tons of outbacks in Santa Cruz and still can't believe that my Q5 is smaller than the 2015 Outbacks!

1) The 2015 3.6R length is longer than the 2014 Q5

Outback: 189.6
Q5 182.6

2) Height is similar

Outback: 66.1
Q5: 65.2

3) Width goes a bit more to the Q5

Outback: 72.4
Q5: 74.7

4) Ground Clearance - Outback with the amazing clearance!

Outback: 8.7
Q5: 7.9

5) Cargo

Outback: 35.5 / 73.3
Q5: 29.1 / 57.3

Why Q5 over 2015 3.6R

1) Although it seems silly, I really like the panoramic sunroof and since I had it in my 2006 I found it difficult to imagine not having it in my next car. It seemed that my only option with Subaru was the Forester which unfortunately isn't a vehicle I was interested in etc... My next car is one that I would keep for the next 6-8 years or even longer and I needed to feel that I was in a car that for the long run I would like and be happy with etc...

2) Turbo vs non-turbo

Although it again may seem silly but the 2006 outback XT turbo was an amazing vehicle and just felt right. I like the 2015 3.6R CVT a lot and was very impressed with the base limited as well. However when comparing it to the Audi Q5 TDI it was no comparision at the Q5 just felt smoother and quicker. A bit closer to what I got from the 2006 XT.

3) Ride quality... Very close. Both (Outback and Q5) are smooth rides and handled well. As the Q5 sits higher more like an SUV or CUV it might have a bit more body roll but the Q5 sports interior provides the seats that keep the driver and passenger more in place. I also wanted lumber support in the passenger side not just the driver side. My wife has neck and back issues.

4) Interior / Cabin
The outback is great. It has improved over time. Although I still think my 2006 outback XT is a very nice interior that has some additional features even the 2015s don't have etc... Getting into my outback XT was from a 2002 audi a4 and it wasn't hard to make the move into the 2006 outback XT.

No doubt the Q5 interior is amazing. I personally believe the Audi's are the nicest interiors even over BMW and Mercedes. Just my opinion.

5) Technology

The Subaru might actually have the easier and better setup... The touchscreen gps and ease of use is great. The Audi has a bit more complicated system with integrated google maps and even wifi. The audiconnect allows for 3g (I know sucks) of hot spot for passengers... Trying it out for 6 months free but probably pointless since my verizon iphone 5 with unlimited data and wifi hot spot works better and can serve the same function. The one feature I do like a lot is the audi has an app which allows me to do searches like google searches and send the address and information to the car. Not a shocking or new feature but nice to have etc...

Conclusion

I will still be around as we still have the 2013 Crosstrek but will miss my Outback. I'm looking to keep my new Q5 a minimum of 6-8 years and am excited to have my first diesel vehicle. The 6/100,000 mile warranty gives me enough piece of mind that the vehicle won't have major issues...

I'll miss the outback community as it is solid and from where I live in Santa Cruz, CA Subaru remains king with 1 out of every 4 cars is probably a subaru!

Marc

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side profile.jpeg
Views:	1805
Size:	781.8 KB
ID:	98690   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunshade.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	98698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4818-1.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	98706  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 PM
pgh

Car: 2010 outback. base 2.5
No big changes from 14 to 15-? I have both, it is a big difference in every way. Good luck keeping maintenance costs at a minimum with a 6-8 year old Audi. I have a feeling you be back in a Subi. Also I think the 15 OB is the better looking car. The Audi reminds me of it's VW sibling or a Forester .

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 PM
DOM

Car: 2014 OB Ltd 3.6R
Man - I just had to leave German cars behind. No more for me. I've had several Porsches, several VWs, an Audi and a Mini Cooper JCW (built in Oxford England, but German in many, many ways - especially tricky engineering solutions). Great engineering, but in the last few years, over-engineered to a number of huge faults. Case in point - the electro-hydraulic power steering pump in a Mini. Great engineering, very sensitive, great steering feel. But it is located directly behind the exhaust headers. It gets very, very hot and fails. Engineering solution is to put a cooling fan situated not only where it can cool the EHPSP, but also suck up all the dirt and crap from the road (it is about 5 inches from the pavement) and fail. Which then leads to the EHPSP failure. NOT a cheap fix. Over-engineered VW and Porsche fuse boxes cracking. Porsche fuel pumps prone to failure, all of which are located in EXTREMELY hard places to replace. Bosch fuel injection systems with laser cut micro-openings in the fuel distributor. Toast when the water laced ethanol in our fuel supply sits in it for more than a day or two. Engineering solutions meant to over-complicate things just to prove the German Engineering superiority. And last - that round knob that controls all the functions in the car from sound, nav, cooling and heating, etc, etc. Big failure when introduced by BMW. Tho it is now working fairly well in most German brands, a failure in the systems attached to that knob can be catastrophic (I used to teach high speed driving at race tracks, and a failure later traced to one of the computers directed by the knob led us to an exciting, high speed period of jeeping thru the brush at the side of the road course).

I am SO glad to have my Subie...

I truly wish you a great experience with your Audi. Just don't sell the Crosstrek...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2006 OBXT
@pgh... I meant no big change for the Audi Q5 in 2014 and 2015. The 2015 outback has significant changes in the 2015 which is why the 2015 3.6R is what I was considering. I completely understand everyone's take on German cars being expensive to maintain and full of problems. I had a 2002 Audi A4 before buying my 2006 outback xt. However consumer reports has ranked Audi as improved and even fairly high on the side of quality & maintenance.

As I said it is hard to leave Subaru but and glad that we have both the 2013 Crosstrek and 2014 Q5 TDI in the family. I'm hoping for the best and looking forward to the new Audi as well as my crosstrek!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 AM

Car: 2002 Outback H6 / 2003 Audi A4 1.8t
Congrats on the Q5. I'm a big fan of Audi since I use to work at the local dealer. I have an 03 A4 that the wife drives and we both love it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
The Audi is a nice vehicle, no doubt. I would consider it as well, but comparably equipped it is a 15-20 grand difference which is difficult for me. Anyway, Enjoy! Have lots of safe and adventurous travels!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Car: 2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
Congrats on your new Audi! More money for it than I could afford but the diesel and that mileage...sexiness.

Once a Subie owner, always a subie owner. Come stop by and say hi and know you've got family here whether you come back to an Outback or not!

[2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6MT, Base, Pearl White Metallic]
[Mods/Additions/Changes] Yakima Holdup Bike Rack, Curt 2" Hitch, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, Rear Bumper Cover, Fumoto Valve, Plastidipped grill and hubcaps, Firestone Destination LE2 tires, debadged rear gate, RallyArmor red-logo mud flaps.
[Previous Subies] 1997 Subaru Outback 4AT, 2009 Subaru Legacy 5MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: