Why so Salty? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2001 H4 Outback Ltd 4EAT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Why so Salty?

Longtime listner... first time calla!

If you live in a state that applies salt to the roads during the winter, what do you do to combat the inevitable cancer?

I've been looking for a new Gen 3 OTB, probably a H6 version and see lots of cars back east that are somewhat reasonably priced in comparison to the West coast but my gut tells me no no no... only rust buckets come from the North East.

Myth? Legend or truth?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:18 PM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Ford F-150 Crew 5.0 Lariat
I haven't ever visited the northeast in the winter time, but I did grow up in MN and lived in the Twin Cities for quite a long time....and MN is horrible when it comes to salt. Just the mention of a chance of snow, and they are out dumping salt and solution all over the roads in the metro area.

Most of the "cancer" on a vehicle from salt begins to work it's way from the inside to the out....so by the time it is visible, you have a much larger problem than what it looks like.

When buying used, give the underside a good inspection. Tell tale signs of rust will show.

As for how we deal with all the salt......lots of washes during the winter time. Keep that car clean. There are under coatings that can be applied to the underside to help protect from salt. Also, (and this is just my personal opinion)....heated garages in the winter time are also a contributing factor. It's nice to have snow melted off the car in the morning, but there is never enough heat to truly dry out all the nooks and cranies of the underside where the sand/salt/moisture collect and inevitably the rust beings to show.

I always tell my friends to never buy used in the metro area....instead, keep your eyes peeled for a vehicle in the Dakotas (North or South) and the other areas around. At least for South Dakota, we don't use salt and the majority of the miles on the vehicles are driven 55 mph and up....very little stop/go traffic. Full Size trucks and heavy duty trucks are sought after from South Dakota and I have a dealer back home begging to get his hands on my used half ton when the time comes.

Good luck in your search

Steve

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
Why? Because we like driving on pavement rather than ice. I don't know what other equally-effective product they could get in the kind of bulk needed, without busting the DPW budgets of municipalities.

Just placing sand is fine initially, but they need to somehow rid the roads of the glaze.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:58 PM

Car: 2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobaroo View Post
If you live in a state that applies salt to the roads during the winter, what do you do to combat the inevitable cancer?
I've lived in the Northeast my entire life from Pennsylvania to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. We don't do anything and replace our cars every 10 or fewer years. Not a single one of my friends cares about rust on their daily driver and I don't believe anyone I've ever met had paid a dollar for protection on their vehicle. Rust just is. It's part of living in the Northeast like raking leaves in Fall and shoveling snow in Winter.

I heard of people using an "oil undercoating" when I lived in New Hampshire but no one I knew well. They sell it through dealers now: https://nhoilundercoating.com/.

Mods:
- Curt 2" Receiver Hitch
- Husky front & rear floor liners
- LED interior & exterior bulbs (backup, license plate, door puddle)
- Method MR 501 wheels, Titanium gray w/ Yokohama Geolandar G015 225/65R17
- Optima Yellowtop Group 34 battery
- PIAA Solar Yellow 2500 fog lamps

RIP 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited; totaled 10/14/18

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:58 AM

Car: 2019 Jeep Wrangler, '16 Forester, 89 Crown Victoria Wagon, BMW R9t, 1960 VW Transporter single cab
easy solution - buy a car from south Texas, no show, no ice, no salt.
Cajun Aggie likes this.

lineage: 1963 Olds 98, 1972 Vega, 73 Torino, aluminum 215cid OldsV8 Vega, 72 Scout II, 72 Impala, 82 Scirocco, 88 twincam Sciricco, 79 733i BMW, 87 Vanagon, 99 Concord LHS, 90 Sedan Deville, '14 Forester, 2005 Outback XT, 82 BMW R80ST, 2005 Mini Cooper, 2005 Outback XT Cobb stage 2 Spec B front suspension Whiteline sway bars, 96 BMW K1100RS, 77 F100 utility bed, '12 WRX

current motor pool 2019 Jeep Wrangler, '16 Forester, 89 Crown Victoria Wagon, BMW R9t, 1960 VW Transporter single cab
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySquatch View Post
I've lived in the Northeast my entire life from Pennsylvania to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. We don't do anything and replace our cars every 10 or fewer years. Not a single one of my friends cares about rust on their daily driver and I don't believe anyone I've ever met had paid a dollar for protection on their vehicle. Rust just is. It's part of living in the Northeast like raking leaves in Fall and shoveling snow in Winter.

I heard of people using an "oil undercoating" when I lived in New Hampshire but no one I knew well. They sell it through dealers now: https://nhoilundercoating.com/.
+1, I've lived in MD for all of my 66+ years. These days roads are being covered in some sort of brine/syrup solution at the mere mention of snow. Have never worried about rust but then I've never kept a daily driver long enough for any meaningful rust to occur.

In response to the OP, if you are going to buy an older car from the northeast, see it in person. Do not rely on interweb photos!!

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 AM

Car: 2008 Outback XT
+2, In the Northeast cars are just an expendable commodity. Unless you wash several times a day you're never going to keep it clean, even if you could, the constant water is going to flush salty water in to more places that it might never get to on it's own. More modern/current painted body panels tend to hold up better than they used to. The more insidious problem is the structural stuff underneath that's harder to inspect without digging. Frame rails, wheel wells, shock towers, rocker panels hidden under plastic cladding, foot wells. Some of it can be repaired piecemeal if you're not in a position to replace the vehicle. There comes a time though, usually by the 15yr mark, when you just have to make the judgement call. When it's done, it's done. Not safe to continue.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:34 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
Here's my favorite way to avoid getting my cars salty in winter. :^)

Current Garage:
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
2012 Honda CRV 4WD EX
2008 Honda Fit Sport
2015 Kawasaki Versys 650
1986 Schwinn Sierra MTB :^)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 AM

Car: 2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Here's my favorite way to avoid getting my cars salty in winter. :^)

Dude, you must carry your gonads in the saddle bags!
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Nothing. The market is just different here. You either move on to a different car or dive into the diminishing returns of maintaining a rusty car that isn't locally worth anything.

Some people store a particular car for the winter or have a dedicated snow car.

Wash the underside of the vehicle. That, and how and when and efficacy, depends on physical parameters, whether it's exposed to nasty winter treatments. Just because a car is owned or driven in the northeast does not mean it gets exposed as much as the next car. Exposure can vary across the entire spectrum - but keep in mind around here a Subaru is "the go to" winter driver car.

Quote:
only rust buckets come from the North East.
Myth? Legend or truth?
Obviously "only" is too all-inclusive to be true - but yeah, that's true. You just assume that until you find out otherwise

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: